Advice For Separating Kittens From Mama

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I rescued a mama cat and her babies, and soon it'll be time to separate the babies from the mama as everyone will soon be going to forever homes. I've never fostered a litter with a mama before but I had an idea of keeping a blanket with each of the babies with their mama and siblings scent on it, so they can get some comfort from it.
Would this be a good idea or would it just make them look for mama more?
Thanks everyone!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What if you wait until she weans them normally? That would truly be best, and surely the adopters can wait just a couple more weeks for that to happen.

The babies will literally be so much better off physiologically/physically, as well as mentally and emotionally.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have read on TCS, not only should you wait until the kittens are weaned, but wait until the kittens reach 12 weeks of age. Mom cat teaches the kittens how to be a cat during that period. Rehoming them earlier than that can result in cats with behavioral problems.

"The babies will literally be so much better off physiologically/physically, as well as mentally and emotionally." Furballsmom Furballsmom said. Maybe a more knowledgable member/moderator could provide links to informative articles on this t topic?

Thankyou for r rescuing the family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys - thanks for the responses. The kittens are weaned from mother's milk. I'm just talking about the emotional side of it for them.
Mama is getting spayed at the end of this month. She and the kittens have homes lined up for mid Sept (kittens will all be fixed/vetted as well).

Mothers and kittens NEED to be together for 8 weeks. As awesome as it would be to be able to keep mothers and kittens together for 12 weeks, it's just not possible for every rescuer to make that happen - either due to fostering situations, adoptions, mother cat starting to get aggravated with the babies, medical issues, etc.

I am confident in how long I am keeping mama and babies together before starting to separate. I am only asking for advice on the blanket thing.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry, i misunderstood and didn't realize they've already been weaned :)

I like your idea of the blanket :thumbsup: and its thoughtful of you to work to make the transition easier for them. If your adopters find that the blanket idea doesn't seem to help they can always remove it.

For readers who may still be interested in the TCS article;

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, i misunderstood and didn't realize they've already been weaned :)

I like your idea of the blanket :thumbsup: and its thoughtful of you to work to make the transition easier for them. If your adopters find that the blanket idea doesn't seem to help they can always remove it.

For readers who may still be interested in the TCS article;

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?
Thank you! Yes I was just worried the blanket might possibly make them miss mama more but if their adopters find that to be true, I'll let them know they can take the blanket away. Good idea.
Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're very welcome, --let us know how things go with those babies, if you can :)

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Attachments