Advice for putting claw caps on unruly cat

regnes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who tends to let playtime get a bit out of hand. His claws are rarely ever out, so it hasn't been a huge problem for me. However, There's going to be a baby in the house for a short while in a couple months. We were hoping to get some claw caps on him, but it proves to be quite the hassle, he just won't stay put and stop fighting us. We were almost thinking we could maybe sedate him, like maybe the same way you would while preparing to put a cat on a plane. I dunno, any ideas?

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat?

My kitten is 5.5 months old, a few weeks ago my son and I put "Soft Paws" on him and it was quite a challenge.

I have always had a cat, even when my boys were little and the cat just stayed away from them.  I can honestly say I don't remember any of my cats scratching my boys. I taught them how to be gentle with the cat and if the cat didn't want to bothered, he would just go to a high place in the house. 

My oldest was 6 months old when we got our cat Murphy who was about a year old. We never had a problem, really.

The soft paws were such a hassle, my poor son got glue all over his hands, that I just cut my kitten's nails now.

Last edited:

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will your veterinarian put them on your cat for you?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try putting one or two on at a time. Catch him when he's sleeping and unaware! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're having trouble (and especially if he's not used to having his claws clipped) your best bet is probably either a vet or a groomer who is used to handling cats as well as dogs.