Advice for outdoor colonies in winter, please and thank you!

Julesandtheferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - this post is exactly what it says on the tin - looking for advice for outdoor colonies now it is coming into winter, please!

I have 14 feral cats living in the barns at my house (already booked for neutering/spaying) and I am wondering how best to care for them now it is getting colder. They currently sleep in the hay stacks and in some cardboard boxes I have left out, however I have been told not to leave out any fabrics as this can freeze. What would the best option be for keeping them cosy? Lining the boxes with straw and putting them somewhere totally sheltered?

Also - I currently feed them hard food, is this the best option, or would wet food be more suitable?

Thank you!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure of your climate, but carboard boxes, even if sheltered would still get damp and eventually moldy around here. But I have seen where people will use old coolers, and cut a large enough hold on the side. It's weatherproof and insulated...then you just add the straw inside for extra coziness.
1634250946281.png

You can also used large storage totes if you can't get ahold of extra coolers...but they won't be quite as insulated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter
Community Cat Shelter Options Gallery
Building Winter Shelters for Community Cats - Alley Cat Advocates | Trap-Neuter-Release and Volunteer Services for Greater Louisville, KY
Winter Shelter Bins for Community Cats FAQ

Look through these articles and see if anything seems reasonable to you. Cardboard and fabric will freeze and become uncomfortable depending on where you are. If the cats sleep together, that might change dimensions as well. A decent shelter lined with straw is often recommended and you will probably find that in the above. Depending on how far you want to go, there are self heating pads, heating pads which are powered from various sources, etc. You are in Ireland, right? So it gets cold in the winter. The safety of any heated device is something that you would have to judge yourself as you don't want a fire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julesandtheferals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your ideas and input - I will make sure these guys are cosy cosy for sure!