Advice for feral mom and kittens

Princekitty19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dads neighbor had a feral cat that had 4 kittens in their back yard in their daughters play house. The mom was hissing at the kids so they wanted them gone. The animal shelters are not taking in animals at this time so they moved the kittens into their garage and the mom ran off. They fed the kittens kitten milk with a dropper over night then the next morning the mom came back around so they let her in the garage with the kittens but she is not feeding them. They are in a large tub and she just walks over and looks at them and then walks away and they said they have not seen her feed the kittens all day (they have a camera set up watching). Will the mom eventually feed them or will they now have to be bottle fed to survive? I will be heading back to my dads house in the morning and just looking for advice to help them out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the mom is not feeding them they need to be fed several times a day with a dropper or syringe and kitten formula. How old are the kittens? Is mom being fed?

Mom may not have much milk and may be starving herself, or she may feel unsafe or wary of the garage set up.

Can mom be handled? She needs to be indoors with her kittens, then spayed to prevent this happening again.

Thanks for helping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princekitty19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the mom is not feeding them they need to be fed several times a day with a dropper or syringe and kitten formula. How old are the kittens? Is mom being fed?

Mom may not have much milk and may be starving herself, or she may feel unsafe or wary of the garage set up.

Can mom be handled? She needs to be indoors with her kittens, then spayed to prevent this happening again.

Thanks for helping!
I believe the kittens are only 2 to 3 days old. My dads neighbor put canned tuna and water out but I'm not sure how often she has been able to eat and she looked well fed when I saw her not skinny at all. The mom is not very friendly so the people who have her are not willing to let her inside and I am not able to either due to my children and other personal reasons. I think I will try to find a rescue today thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Newborn kittens will not survive long without food. They also must be kept warm with a heating pad set on low under a blanket, a heated dry rice sock, or UV light. They must be warm when fed. They are unable to regulate their body temperatures for the first 3 weeks.

Here is a helpful video for feeding:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You tried and it was not your problem initially, so what you did was very kind. If they are still alive, they need to be bottle fed absolutely. Do you have access to Nextdoor? Around here, people will post if they find a litter in this condition and usually individuals will offer to take the babies and feed them so that one person is not responsible for doing all the work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Princekitty19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You tried and it was not your problem initially, so what you did was very kind. If they are still alive, they need to be bottle fed absolutely. Do you have access to Nextdoor? Around here, people will post if they find a litter in this condition and usually individuals will offer to take the babies and feed them so that one person is not responsible for doing all the work.
I do have next door and I will definitely make a post to see if someone can help them, thank you