Advice for CRF

BTM104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick overview: Toby is 13 and was diagnosed beginning of this year, have not been told his stage or shown his bloodwork. Started SubQ fluids which has recently become painful for him and also prescribed metoclopramide, hasn’t been prescribed anything else this far.

Beginning of last week he had began vomiting profusely, dropped weight and would not eat. I’d show him food, he’d act interested and check it out but would ultimately walk away. During that time I scheduled an appointment and could only get a date for this week-they offered something to rub on his ears to stimulate hunger despite me clarifying he is interested in food but won’t eat. After the first three days of his constant vomiting, weight loss, inappetence, I had noticed his neck seemed to be dropping a bit, he was sleeping near his water bowl and overall wasn’t looking good. I decided to start fluids daily (was doing every other day) despite it obviously being painful for him because I wanted to make sure he was getting a little bit of potassium to hold him off for vet visit and it did seem to help a tiny bit, there was a little less vomiting and started to eat plain chicken. I did try some wet food and he kinda ate it but more so just pushed the food around and made a mess. Now he acts incredibly hungry, will still only gorge on the chicken, he ate a tiny amount of diet kibbles and the gravy off some wet food but that’s it. My initial problem here leads back to the nausea medication which I really don’t find to be useful, he has moments where he finally stops vomiting but eventually goes back to doing it daily, which I suspect has caused a potassium deficiency. Are there any other alternatives to metoclopramide? Any advice on getting him to eat cat food which has the nutrients he needs instead of plain chicken? He dislikes diet wet (which has made his vet rather unhappy) so I had been giving him Wellness Morsels which is the lowest I’ve found in phosphorus thus far. I’m new to this so excuse any mistakes here, this is why I’m posting so I can get more advice because I feel my vets hasn’t been useful. Thanks and apologies for the rambling.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Just to clarify, the needle for the fluids should be inserted into the scruff of the neck - possibly uncomfortable for them but not actively painful. Warm the bag so the fluids aren't cool or room temp which is still too cool, and maybe look into a smaller needle but be aware the smaller needle means it will take longer.

As you've stated, he needs some sort of anti nausea med that works but unfortunately I can't help with that, or possibly slippery elm bark which can help with nausea. SEB needs to be given a couple hours before meds since it coats the stomach and will prohibit absorption of medicine.

You could try obtaining an raw/homecooked additive mix that has all the nutrients necessary, from EZComplete to add to the plain chicken.

There may be something here;
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

You need to know what his numbers are from the blood test results before deliberately lowering his phos intake too much and also whether his potassium levels are still ok, and when you find a new vet I'd ask about his thyroid.

Wellness Morsels which is the lowest I’ve found in phosphorus thus far.
I used felinecrf .org which is a little out of date, catinfo .org which is also a little out of date, and cat food manufacturer websites and phone representatives.
Weruva and their associated brands such as B.F.F and also Weruva WX have foods that can be a possibility. (Weruva WX is specifically low phosphorus, doesn't require a prescription and although it has the statement of not being a complete food, has the full nutritional content requirements of everything else including protein).
Weruva Soulistic, found at Petco, has some varieties without synthetic vitamin K.

Forza10, The Honest Kitchen minced chicken turkey and duck, Identity Bison, Koha LID chicken Pouch, Tiki Cat After Dark Grain Free Chicken, Dr Elsey's clean protein pork are some other possibilities.

But most importantly, see if you can find a cat-only clinic;
Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cerenia is one of the anti-nausea meds that are frequently used with kidney cats. Ondansetron is another. Oftentimes, these are used in conjunction with oral mirtazapine or transdermal mirataz (appetite stimulant). Even when a cat shows interest in food but won't eat, an appetite stimulant can still be helpful. But I would use it alongside an anti-nausea med.

EZComplete is a good pre-mix to add to homemade foods, so you probably should consider it. If you reach out to them and briefly let them know what is going on, they will send you some samples to try first.
EZComplete Premix Information (foodfurlife.com)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As soon as you mentioned he was having trouble holding his head up, I immediately wondered if his potassium level might be low, and vomiting can definitely contribute to that. You said you increased his sub-q fluids to prevent that...do his fluids contain potassium? (different fluids have different things in them).

Many cats do not like the prescription kidney diets. None of my kidney cats ate them. Here is a website that lists food, both wet and dry, in order of the amount of phosphorus in them. http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Is the vomiting at a particular time of day? If mainly in the morning, it might be from over acidity, a common issue with kidney cats. Many of us use Pepcid A/C for that issue for our furbabies. Here is more on the whole nausea/vomiting issue: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Appetite Loss, Nausea and Vomiting