Advice For Care Of Stray Cat

CyndiNesh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Early in spring a stray/feral cat started coming to my home (I had been feeding a neighbors cat on my front steps) and adopted us. It started with her and then soon multiplied to what I call my "frequent fliers", 5 cats that visit regularly morning and night for food. Sometimes we get stragglers up to about 9.
The original cat then appeared with 3 kittens. After they were weaned (about 8 wks old) I trapped them and they have now become part of our family. They are 16 wks old now and getting neutered.
I trapped the mom cat and had her spayed. She is now living in a 36" kennel in my basement as she recovers. She is friendly, fearful and shy, but very friendly. She loves to be pet and has never hissed, bitten or scratched. We are hoping to put her in PetSmart for adoption (I would love to keep her but have her 3 kittens on top of my children's cats).
My questions are-
-Should I bring the kennel upstairs so she can get sunlight and socialize with my indoor cats?
-Will it stress her out to see her kittens? Will it stress the kittens out?
-Will she be depressed because she is in a kennel and cant go outside? Is that just going to taunt her?
-If she cannot be adopted can she still be released after (what I am assuming as) so much time away from the colony?
I am new to this whole TNR thing. It saddens me that she is in a dark basement after having so much freedom out in nature and sunlight. I still look in my bushes and on the steps for her as it has become a habit and pleasure to watch her frolic and know that she chose us.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they spayed the mom cat, did you get her tested for Fiv/Felv? I would want to make sure she is healthy before you have her around your cats. If you do put her with your other cats, it is best to introduce them slowly, keeping her is a separate room for a little while. If you can't get her adopted, she can be put back in your little colony. I hope you can get her adopted though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyndiNesh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they spayed the mom cat, did you get her tested for Fiv/Felv? I would want to make sure she is healthy before you have her around your cats. If you do put her with your other cats, it is best to introduce them slowly, keeping her is a separate room for a little while. If you can't get her adopted, she can be put back in your little colony. I hope you can get her adopted though.
Yes, she was tested and negative, which I had figured as her kittens were negative, too. They did flea treatment and all vaccinations.
Her kittens are getting neutered today so I took advantage of their absence and brought a kennel upstairs for her. I put it in front of the glass doors so she could get sun. She whined a lot at first then calmed down. The other adult cats didn't seem too bothered by her, they just go about their business and ignore each other.
My worry is the kittens. Again emphasizing the mom/kitten relationship. They have been separated for about 4 weeks now. I just don't know how they will react and if they will still have that memory.
Everyone tells me that they forget, but if that were true it only verifies my fear of her being an outsider to her colony if released.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think they would need a little time to get to know each other (since the kittens have grown so much). My guess is that it would be OK, but I haven't done that myself. I am sure it would be OK to put her back in the colony. I have put a female cat back, that I had kept out for awhile with her kittens and she was fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyndiNesh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would think they would need a little time to get to know each other (since the kittens have grown so much). My guess is that it would be OK, but I haven't done that myself. I am sure it would be OK to put her back in the colony. I have put a female cat back, that I had kept out for awhile with her kittens and she was fine.
Thank you for the input. I think I'm going to start with one kitten to be sure it isn't too much for either of them. I know when I brought the kittens in momma cat would try to come in the house and prowl around the doors trying to get them back. She knew where they were and didn't seem very happy about the separation. I'm worried about a repeat behavior, I don't want to cause her more stress than I already have.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you introduced mom to her kittens again? She definitely needs sunlight and a break from her crate!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let us know how it is going. We are rooting for you and the cats. :)