Advice for a single Burmese owner.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, some of you have probably seen some of my posts over the past year or so about my Burmese Mikey.

Little history..

I found Mikey (or he found me) about 3 years ago, he was living in my back yard feeding on the little critters back there. One day when i was pulling into my driveway coming home from work he darted in front of me, then laid down under a bush next too my garage. I walked over to investigate and surprisingly he didn't run away. He was panting really hard, was a bit skinny, and he was super hot. (it had been over 100 degrees for 4 days in a row) and very hungry.. Too my surprise he warmed right up to me and let me pet him. I got him some food and water. He lived in my tool shed outside for about 5 or 6 months. Eventually i convinced my mom to let me bring him in. (after a few injury's from attacks from other cats) So for another year he became a outdoor/indoor cat.. Out for a few hours a day, in for the rest. But after another injury, and me catching him in the road, i decided to make him indoor only permanently about a year ago. So he's been indoor only for a year now.

Well for the first year he was inside (when he was still indoor/outdoor) he had some problems with him spraying in the house. He was just over 6 months old when i found him, and was already spraying outside. I did get him fixed, and the spraying cut down, but did not stop. So for the first year it was a bit rough trying to figure out what to do, but eventually with alot of research and help from here iv been able to nearly stop it. After adding the feliaway diffusers to each room, a little training, and using the fluoxetine, trans dermal ear pens for about 6 months, and the spraying pretty much stopped, and only happened occasionally. He doesn't hit his old spots for territory anymore, the last two times he's sprayed was because i ticked him off apparently.. Both times it was because he wanted to lay in my lap, and i wouldn't let him, so he walked over and gave my bed a squirt.. (the little devil!)

So hopefully to help nip that type behavior in the butt, gonna do some more training, and i took him off the gel pens, and put him on the straight pill after learning the gel pens only give about 10% of the medicine, where the pills its a full dose. He's been on the pills for 8 days now (tonight will be his 8th pill).. He's been doing really well, the pills make him a little drowsy for a few hours after he takes one, but he's still playful and seems fine. His appetite took a hit for the first week, he didn't eat much, he would eat any treats i gave him though, so i gave him extra treats for a few days to make sure he ate something.. But this morning i fed him his normal food and he started eating it down right away, so i was happy to see he has his appetite again.

So he hasent had a spray incident in about 2 weeks now, but i know the medicine isnt "kicked in and working" yet, since its only been 8 days, and it can take a few months before its "in effect".. But i also studied up on his breed, and have changed the way i take care of, and deal with him.

I hate to admit but iv basically been dealing him with the same as i dealt with my old cat Joe, who was a fat lazy tabby who just laid around and did nothing all day..

Iv since learned that Burmese cats are alot different, a little more high maintenance in the "social" department.. So i have since adapted myself to better meet his social and emotional needs, and i can easily tell its made for a more happy kitty.. Discovered through my research on Burmese cats too that they are very very chatty cats.. For the longest time i though Mikey was just whiney, and whined alot, but it turns out, hes just talking to me, lol.. That and i just have to accept and get used to having a cat sitting in my lap whenever i sit down lol.

Anyway, sorry to get into so much detail, just want you guys to know where im coming from..

So things are going really well, and im really proud of Mikey. But the only thing i have to deal with that bothers me a little is the fact that on days that i work, he's alone all day. So for 4 days a week, hes alone from 6:30am till about 6:00pm. And i know the Burmese breed does not like being alone for long periods of time. But it's not really causing any problems or anything.. Mikey isn't destructive while im away, and doesn't act up when i get home because hes angry about being alone. He's been living this way since I got him, so he has adapted quite well, and is used too it.. My dad helps me out on the days i work, and around lunchtime he heads down to my place and hangs out with Mikey for a half hour or so. So he's a real good boy about it, and i make sure to give him some playtime and lots of attention and love right when i get home, and he's fine.

But i would like to see if i can add anything to my place to help keep him entertained while im gone, give him something to do, anything to help make those days better for him.

So far hes got:

Feilaway diffusers in each room.

Lots of toys to play with.

Two cat tree's.. One hugh one on the back wall, and a smaller 3 shelf one i built for him that sits in the window. (its his favorite, he spends ALOT of time there).. Plus a setup a small bed style perch for him in the workshop window, to give him something new to look out.

Anyone think of anything else i can do for him? And before anything mentions getting another Burmese cat, for him to pal around with is not an option lol..

But like i said, things are going great, but anything i can do to make him happy will only make things easier..

Thanks for reading all that.. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
did i ramble on too long, and nobody wants to read it? lol..

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, but I did have a lone cat (not a Burmese) for a while, before I felt financially ok to take on another.

One thing I did for my lone cat was put a bird feeder out on our apartment balcony.  Is there a place you could put one where birds will come to the window for his amusement?

Otherwise....there are times when I had one cat when I did wonder if they were bored when I was gone all day.  But...I think they will sleep more when alone.  I wonder at times if this concern about solitary cats is misplaced, I don't know.  But I'll bet out of the 12 hrs he's alone...he's sleeping at least half of that!  As you say...it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Another thing would be to get some crickets and hide them in some cardboard boxes for him to find.  There are also "treat puzzle toys" as well that may work.  That depends though - some cats give up on them right away and some will engage.  My younger cat, Dexter, just pushes those toys around then gives me the "When is feeding time look" and Boo figures them out right away.

So, that's the best I can come up with: bird feeder, crickets, and puzzle toys with hidden treats.

Good luck...I never had to deal with the spraying thing, thank god.  Dexter, my younger male, is very aware of a male stray that hangs around our place.  Luckily, he's very neat and "sprays" in the litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response.

The cat treat toy sounds like an idea i can try, thats one toy he does not have yet lol.

Bird feeders might be an idea too, we sell them at work.

From what i can tell, when im gone, im pretty sure he sleeps most or alot of that time, since whenever anyone comes down to visit him, he's usually asleep when they do. And he has never been "destructive" or anything while he's alone. Other than his past spraying, which he usually did when i was home i believe.

Iv added the feilaway spray to my arsenal as well, and gave all his spots a spray of it, although he has not sprayed since starting the pills, i figured it would only help to use it as well.

I just hope these pills do the trick for him to fully stop. Iv been dealing with it for nearly 3 years now, and the stress of it is starting to get to me.. I don't mind spending the extra money at all for what he needs, but it does stress me out alot. I come home from work everyday getting ready for my "black light inspection" praying i don't find any new spots. So far so good! And just to say, he uses his litter box normally, hes not "peeing" on things, but spraying them..

Once i get the carpets cleaned too that will help alot. See when i first got him he was spray alot (was all territorial spraying then) but it went undetected for a long time. Although he has never peed directly on the carpet, he would spray on objects (doors, table, ect.) and some would drip down into the carpet. (he totally ruined my old computer) So while the spots are not hugh or anything, but they got old due to not being detected right away, and built up as he would spray them over and over.. So iv cleaned them all up with urine off, and it got rid of most of the smell, but a little remains in certain areas. Mainly where he sprayed the back doors. But im going over all of them again with urine off first, then i clean them with the peroxide/water, soap, baking powder solution Then soon the pro carpet cleaners are going to come, in the next few weeks too a month, and steam clean the whole place, so that should fully get rid of any of his old spots and smells. Although like i said, he has not made any new ones since getting on the pills, and for the past 6 or 7 months before that while he was on the trans-dermal gel pens him spraying was rare (seems like he only did it when i upset him somehow, like not allowing him in my lap)

So i know that the pills can take 4 too 6 weeks to go "into effect" then give it another 3 or 4 months too see if they work or not. And so far, even though its only been 10 days, he's been real good, and has not sprayed. And im really proud of him, and pray he keeps it up.

But say if in 5 months or so, if he is still spraying, or in the current situation, starts up again, i may have no choice but to give him up, cause i can't live like that anymore, the smell, and the stress it causes me is too much.. It will literally crush me to do so, because i love him so much, and other than his spraying he is the most loving and affectionate little friend. But i won't let him drive me crazy and destroy my home either. Eventually if he just won't stop it even after his treatment with his pills, weather i want to or not, my mom will probably force me to give him up.

Anyway thanks for listening to me..

Brian.

Last edited:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No worries Brian - that's what these boards are for.  You are really something for dealing with the stress of spraying.  I hope the medications work.

If he did start spraying again, could you go to indoor/outdoor with him?  That is, if you could not rehome him?  Hopefully, he'll outgrow it and it won't come to that.

Best of luck to you.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
A bit reluctant to put this in as I haven't read your other posts and it is pretty much always other people who say it but - have you had thoughts on a play mate? When I was looking at getting my current cat, Mouse, I was originally keen on Burmese.  I had a lot of time doing research as I had a very frail cat before and used to look at what the best source mught be.  My cats were very noisy and when I read what you said about the talking a lot and needing a lot of social contact and play and decided one probably wouldn't be best off with me (quiet flat in on his or her won quite a bit).  The stuff I looked at said they didn't like to be alone and recomended 2 cats which is why I didn't look in to them any more.  It's a big thought when he's spraying and seems territorial and you're not even sure if you can keep him but just one thing that might be affecting his behaviour.