Advice for a large litter - 9 kittens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They sure are cute! Busy little kittens! They don't seemed fazed by the dog barking!

I'm glad the chicken baby food is working out. You can start giving them pate-style wet cat food anytime now too. They need to begin gaining a pound a month now. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, love the video. You have everything so nice for them. Is it hard to tell the cream-colored ones apart? To me they look identical.
The cream ones are the hardest to tell apart. When they were a day old I painted one of each of their back toenails a different color. One of them is also a girl so she is more obvious :) I can pretty much tell them apart now though. They all have very different personalities at this point :)

Last edited:

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My babies turned 5 weeks old yesterday!
They all weigh in between 15oz - 20oz each. They are eating everything I give them and are so excited about food. It is making things so much easier. I am not supplementing them anymore and haven't for 5 or 6 days now. They do not need it anymore, they are getting lots of solids and I gave them kitten chow and water today for the first time. They love the dry food! It is so cute to watch them use their new little teeth. They are healthy, happy and mega active! They certainly keep me on my toes with their antics! Watching them play is the best part of my day :)

Everyone is litter box trained! I have not seen any accidents in about a week. Amazing how smart cats are!

Mom has started the weaning process. She still nurses them many times a day but she is much less patient about it and nurses them for shorter periods of time. She was hissing at them this morning but overall she is still very attentive and is always watching them and cleaning them. She has done so great, I am very proud of her and these babies! This big litter of tiny babies could have gone downhill so fast without her constant care. I read sad stories here everyday about kittens that do not make it and just feel so lucky and grateful that this has gone so well to this point. I feel like I can relax and breathe and just enjoy these guys while I can :)
Wonderful experience but once in a lifetime is enough for me. I am already dreading these guys going to new homes, I am so attached to each of them.

Enough sad, sappy stuff :) Pics!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So great to hear how well they are doing!

They should have 24/7 access to kitten chow, and the wet food can be full strength now without adding KMR if you like. Or they can have KMR in a dish on the side. The kittens need their calcium too! ;)

You also played a tremendous role in the survival of all 9 kittens, as well as supporting mama kitty's ability to care for them.

They will only get cuter and cuter! Enjoy them for the next few weeks! Have you decided who you are keeping?

Would love to see more cute pictures of all 9 when you have time! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My foster kittens loved using the litter box. They could play in there for hours. I could tell they felt very grown up now they could pee & poop by themselves.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat reared my neighbor's Pom pups after they lost their mom during delivery.  She had just had 3 kittens, and welcomed the two surviving pups.  All FIVE of them were litter-trained! 

This, by the way, was NOT Hekitty, but Berry, the cat who shared my heart some 15 years ago.

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all :)
Kittens are well... growing and playing and adorable. My concern is with Rain, the mama cat. Her vomiting and diarrhea keeps recurring despite a round of amoxicillin from the vet. She is nowhere near as sick as she was a couple of weeks ago but still not well. I am beginning to suspect possible parasites. She is a mouser and we live in the country so she kills them frequently. She does not eat them, just kills them. She has never had fleas so it is not that. I was thinking of deworming her and the kittens with pyrantel but want some experienced input before I do it. I do not want to make her feel worse. The kittens will be 6 weeks old in a few days. Is it safe to do this now? I usually order vet supplies online when possible and can get liquid pyrantel suspension. Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me... I have to get mama feeling better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is safe. You'll need correct dosages for mama and kittens. They will need to be wormed again two weeks from the first dose.

I hope that takes care of Rain's problem. If it does not, she'll need to see the vet.

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is safe. You'll need correct dosages for mama and kittens. They will need to be wormed again two weeks from the first dose.

I hope that takes care of Rain's problem. If it does not, she'll need to see the vet.
Yes... I will take her in if necessary. I figure they should be dewormed now anyway so I will get started with that and see how it goes.
Thanks! :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be giardia, which has the same symtoms. Take a fecal sample to the vet for confirmation. My Mingo got giardia from catching mice.

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be giardia, which has the same symtoms. Take a fecal sample to the vet for confirmation. My Mingo got giardia from catching mice.
I will definitely mention this to the vet! Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Giardia is a distinct possibility. It is a nasty parasite, and requires a course of Metronidazole to cure. Perhaps you could get her started on it soon. It may well cure her!

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giardia is a distinct possibility. It is a nasty parasite, and requires a course of Metronidazole to cure. Perhaps you could get her started on it soon. It may well cure her!
I will get her to the vet on Tuesday when they open. I researched it and it definitely seems like the symptoms fit. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! Hold off on the worming with pyrantel for now. Let us know what the vet says.

laceyloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to call the vet today and she listened to Rains symptoms and agreed that treating Rain with Flagyl seemed appropriate. I will pick it up tomorrow and she will take it once a day for 5 days. Does this seem right? She did not need to see her again and said fecals are often negative even when they do have girardia and she just wants to treat her. Obviously this is nice since I do not have to stress her by taking her in. She did not think I need to treat the kittens unless they have symptoms (they do not). Hopefully this seems ok? Thought I would see what you guys thought :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've got a great vet! She's right that it might not show up in a fecal, and Flagyl is metronidazole. It will hopefully clear her up very quickly! Let us know!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keeping my fingers crossed.  And if you think THAT doesn't play havoc with my typing!