Advice for 6 week old kitten diarrhea

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
for the last week I’ve been caring for two stray kittens, brothers 6 weeks old. I’ve taken them to the vet and the vet checked them out and gave them deworming medicine.
When I first got the kittens the one little boy, Salem, had very soft poops, but never straight liquid. Although now after the deworming, they are both having diarrhea. They aren’t pooping any more frequently, and usually making it to the litter. Tonight though, Salem had two accidents outside of the litter.
They are both eating, drinking and playing like normally. But I am still worried. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow, but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are you feeding? If it’s not diet causing the diarrhea, please take a stool sample in a baggy to the vet to get checked.

They may have an intestinal bacterial infection or other parasites that needs treating with metronidazole.

Please keep us posted. In the meantime, mix a bit of the powder from a probiotic capsule in with their wet food to help their gut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What are you feeding? If it’s not diet causing the diarrhea, please take a stool sample in a baggy to the vet to get checked.

They may have an intestinal bacterial infection or other parasites that needs treating with metronidazole.

Please keep us posted. In the meantime, mix a bit of the powder from a probiotic capsule in with their wet food to help their gut.
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m feeding them kitten pate wet food, mixed with a bit of softened kibble and cat milk.

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright so I just got off the phone with the vet, he said he isn’t too worried because Salem is still eating and playing, but I’m going to take a fecal sample into the vet today for testing!
Fingers crossed for my baby boy ❤

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again!
So I tried to get a poo sample to the vet but nothing I gave them was good enough. So the vet has now prescribed Salem Metronidazole for 5 days and then he said we’ll try to get another sample.
I’ll be honest, I’m really worried about giving this medicine to him. We don’t even know what the problem is and I’ve been reading bad stuff about it online.
If anyone has any advice please, I am not sure what to do 😣

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metronidazole is strong but very effective. Five days is a short protocol. However, metronidazole can cause diarrhea while taking it. If you are uncomfortable with using it you can hold off. Are the stools still loose?

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metronidazole is strong but very effective. Five days is a short protocol. However, metronidazole can cause diarrhea while taking it. If you are uncomfortable with using it you can hold off. Are the stools still loose?
Yes they are still loose. No change over the past few days. Still eating and gaining weight too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The fact they were strays means they likely have a parasitic and/or bacterial infection. What de-wormer have they already been given?

Is the pate food you are feeding chicken or fish? What cat milk are you using?

Are both kittens having diarrhea or just the one now?

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact they were strays means they likely have a parasitic and/or bacterial infection. What de-wormer have they already been given?

Is the pate food you are feeding chicken or fish? What cat milk are you using?

Are both kittens having diarrhea or just the one now?
The vet gave them the Strongid dewormer on the 9th.
Ive been feeding them Wellness chicken for kittens and Whiskas cat milk. I also mix in some softened Acana kitten kibble.
It’s only Salem right now, he has had pretty soft poops since I got him. But before it was more like a thick paste now it’s more like water.

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update! Only one day on the medicine and Salem finally had his first solid poo! It’s still pretty soft but it’s not diarrhea!!

keridwen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again,

Both boys have been doing well, they got their first shots and flea treatment! Salem is no longer having diarrhea, but now I have another worry about him. When he's up and playing he seems fine, but as soon as he's sleeping it looks like he starts breathing weird. Although when I listen to him he isn't making any weird sounds and it doesn't seem like he's struggling at all, just that his belly is moving a lot. I've tried to count his breaths but it's really hard with the way his belly is moving. I want to post a video so you guys can really see but I'm not sure how.

Any help would be amazing!

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the color of his gums when he is sleeping? Be alert for a pale, bluish color. It is a good idea to examine his gums when he is breathing normally so that you have a comparison. Thank you for the update - it's great to know that the kittens are thriving!