Advice- cats that don't get along

imissmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure a thread similar to this has been made, but I did not find the advice I needed, so I was hoping if anyone could help me with this particular situation.

How successful have you guys been, or heard of others being, at owning two cats that don't get along? (this would be in a small 1100 sq ft townhouse) And the cats in question actually being happy otherwise?
In this case, it would be a five year old female (large coon) that is already established, and a very dainty independent coming one-year-old female that would be adopted this christmas.
The coon gets along okay with other cats, but has only ever lived with a much older female that simply tolerated her, that she liked to pester, and eventually became dominant over.
The tiny one year old hisses and strikes at other cats when she's in my arms and we're looking at other cats in the kennels at the shelter.

So the cats in question- Mollie was put down two weeks ago after I said my goodbyes over thanksgiving break. (I would only ever do a 12 hour drive twice in five days for a CAT.
)

But we still have Hallie. She's about 5yo, giant black main coon mix. Chirps and talks and is a typical "only cuddles when it's MY idea" kind of cat. But when she cuddles, she CUDDLES. And she is so hilarious, you cannot live with this girl without cracking up at least once a day. She's not graceful at all, it's rather adorable. I'm convinced she's bipolar(jk), but her little mood swings might have more to do with some super tight knots along her spine that I found during thanksgiving. I thought that was fascinating, and am frustrated that I didn't find them sooner. She flips out if you poke her on certain spots on her sides.
Anyways, some more dignified pictures of her-

Here's the coming 1yo. She is such a sweetheart. She takes soooo terribly long to warm up to people, which is why she has not been adopted yet, I believe. But once she does, she is so lap-oriented! Just so loving. And as soon as I met her a couple months ago, we just bonded instantly. I haven't been able to get her to take to anyone else, which is kind of frustrating. I got her through a terrible cold and an ongoing ear infection. The whole experience has really reinforced my belief that intimacy boosts the immune system!
Here is a write-up I did for the shelter-
"Posh is a very sweet little girl that has been here since August. She takes a long time to warm up to people, but please give her a chance and she will give you loads of love and affection!
She uses a scratching post very well- it's the first thing she wants to do when you take her into a get-to-know-you room. She will usually want to just explore and play when you first meet her, but be patient and she will really open up if you spend some time with her.
Posh does not like being kenneled, or confined in your arms, so be sure to give her an escape when she gets uncomfortable. She is much more comfortable just being on your lap or leaning against your chest. Posh's favorite place is on a warm, comfy lap and will rearrange herself a few times before she curls up and dozes off.
Posh loves to play with feathers and toy mice, and can jump super high when you play with her! Sit down and pat your lap, and she'll fluff her tail and come right back for cuddles! She gives excellent kitty kisses.
Posh would do best in a home where she is the only cat, since she does not like other kitties. She will tolerate dogs, and young children. She is generally rather quiet, but has a very sweet voice.
Come spend some time with Posh, she will really blossom in a forever home all her own!"

and here is her webpage at the shelter- http://www.sfhumanesociety.com/custA...Pet&petId=3779
and some pictures I have of her-

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate any input you might have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imissmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now, they WILL be separated for the first two weeks at least- as in, have their own rooms in the house, switching out bowls and litter boxes for them to smell and such.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start by going thru this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

There are a lot of things you can do to ease their introductions and make the change easier on both of them. Specifically to your question on owning 2 cats that don't get along? I think there are many members here who have cats that are not entirely bonded with each other. I have a few in my household that would prefer that others didn't share a house with them. But using the right introduction techniques, they find a way to at least co-exist if they do not wish to be friends.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 2 story house. I have 2 "cat families" that live on separate floors. Given the chance, I have two cats who will, quite literally, fight to the death. I have taken them to the vet for stitches before from fights so severe. Margo, Molly, Twitch, & Lily live upstairs. Dorian, Eden, & Ophelia Rose live downstairs. I do foster sometimes, and the foster live with my downstairs kitties.

I've tried for, gosh, 5 years now? Or is it 4 years? To get them to get along, nothing I do have worked.

So it's possible they'll learn to co-exist, even if they don't love each other - but it is also entirely possible they'll hate each other. It's hard to say.