Advice and Support Needed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi AGP027 -

I did put in a couple of 'caves' for Rosie - one is a new, soft-sided carrier that doesn't look like a carrier. The other is a small cedar cat house - I have a couple that I put outside in winter as shelter for strays. It's insulated and slightly raised off the ground. I stuffed it with straw and blankets and figured she could use that too - it'll be nice and cosy and draft free in there. I also have a small cardboard box lined with newspaper on the bottom, a layer of straw, and some old towels, next to her bed.

But my money says Rosie won't use any of them :)  I'm prepared to walk in and find Rosie had the kittens on her favourite chair or something.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Cher

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's nice that you have them for her :) I know our kitty loved her cave, but each one has their own personality. I know our kitty didn't feel safe, and it sounds like Rosie does. Like I said, we got her while she was having her kittens. I'll be on the lookout for an update :)

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Agp027,

How did you end up rescuing a feral cat just before it had kittens? 

Definitely keeping an eye on Rosie's mood and needs. She seems to like music so I sit with her and we listen for a bit. Tonight she fell asleep against my arm - cute and nice. But when she wants me to leave, I leave.  I expect that for the first few days when she has the kittens, I'll only be in for a bare minimum, just to check food and water dishes, and to make sure they are ok. Beyond that I'm prepared to give Rosie a little space.

I'll keep you posted :)

Ev

agp027

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lucy was actually having her kittens when we got her. She was incredibly skinny and her kittens were scattered all over my neighbors yard. We thought she was done with labor, so we put her and her babies in a carrier and took them home. She had two more once she got home. She had seven, but she was incredibly skinny and malnourished, so five passed away within about a week. Once again, she was really skinny; I don't want to worry you. We didn't even know about her until that day.

I agree with the kitty thing. Once a day should be enough for the first week or so. As bad as it sounds, there really isn't much you can do but leave it up to the mom. Our kitty mom was really protective, and still is. They're six weeks old and she still gives me warning swats lol

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ape4806!

Thanks for checking in!  No, no babies yet. Rosie must be getting close though, she paced a fair bit tonight and had A LOT to say. Oh my goodness. We did have some nice time though, she sat in the window just above me and we listened to music on the radio for awhile :)

I noticed Rosie has also started going into the queening box, and ruffling the blankets. That's probably a good sign, right, that she's preparing to nest with her kittens?

I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous for her.

How is your cat?

Ev

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitty is doing good, thanks. She has a kidney disease so I think the vet might change her meds and she's eating like a pig. I never had a pregnant kitty but it seems like Rosie is getting ready. I hope everything goes well and the babies are healthy. Keep us posted on when they come.

maddyjazz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Aunti Ev,
She might be feeling vulnerable, not only because she is a stray, but cats have a tendency to hide away or run away because they know that they can't protect themselves. Even domestic cats sometimes do this and is fairly common.
At this time, it is crucial that you keep her warm, not just from a blanket. Maybe a heating lamp or a work lamp for drying cement. You can put bedding of choice in the box/housing that you put her in.
Make sure to watch her body language when you try to catch her or gain her trust. Remain calm and collected, shoulders relaxed. Take deep breaths. Stare at her in a blinky eyed manner and take baby steps towards her. (Might be best to be in a more refined space with her) If she allows you to make contact, avoid contact with her tail and hips. Do not just reach your hand out and pet her, she will most likely bolt. Make sure that she is calm, remain blinky eyed and slowly bring a closed fist to her nose to sniff. (Remember to be relaxed) Once you are close, pet her between her two ears on the top of her head. Cats have a extra flab of skin that their mother's used to use to carry them. Grabbing that tuft is not painful, and can be comforting to a cat. If you have a cage ready, pick her up by the tuft and put her in.

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning 48066,

Glad to hear your cat is doing well. I just wanted to mention - if your cat has kidney disease, there is a phosphate binder which comes in powder form; it's made by Epatikin and my old cat tolerated it really well. You sprinkle a bit on their food. Of course, you'll want to check with your vet but it may be an option for you, just thought I'd mention it.

Ev

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi April!

Thanks for the note. Rosie seems to be enjoying company more & more - Dad and I were winterizing the windows, and she came out to talk to us. Also, she's a real cuddlebug at night, I kind of tuck her in for the evening around 8:30 and she settles well while I pet her & chat with her. Last night she even started purring for me, which she has never done before. I think it's a good sign.

No kittens yet, although Ms Rosie is definitely pretty roly-poly. My vet technician called today to say she is around 24/7 if we need help, so that's a big comfort. So are my friends at the catsite!

Thanks again for the note,

Ev

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi April!

Thanks for the note. Rosie seems to be enjoying company more & more - Dad and I were winterizing the windows, and she came out to talk to us. Also, she's a real cuddlebug at night, I kind of tuck her in for the evening around 8:30 and she settles well while I pet her & chat with her. Last night she even started purring for me, which she has never done before. I think it's a good sign.

No kittens yet, although Ms Rosie is definitely pretty roly-poly. My vet technician called today to say she is around 24/7 if we need help, so that's a big comfort. So are my friends at the catsite!

Thanks again for the note,

Ev
Bless you for taking such wonderful care of her. From your description, she is so ready to be a house cat and totally indoors.

Wish you all the best ! 

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I am hoping the best for Rosie, because I feel she does have it in her to be a sweet house cat. She doesn't have a bad bone in her body, she 's just young and scared. I'm hoping time and TLC are all she really needs :)

Ev

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Ev any update on Rosie? Is she letting you spend more time with her? Hope all is well [emoji]128568[/emoji]

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks for checking in on us. Rosie is doing fine, although she's got a pretty big belly for a little girl! She should have kittens any day now.

I hope it's not too much for her.

She is very friendly and affectionate with me - she kisses my face - but I can't pick her up or hold her. She still has plenty of times when she wants to be alone, and that's ok. She's learning. My neighbour has been stopping in every other day, we sit and talk very quietly, just to see if we can slowly get Rosie used to people, noise, etc.

I'm concerned because it's getting cold here at night (-3 celsius) already. I don't think the shed will be good enough in November. Plus I just found out I need to travel three days for work Nov 3-6 and I have surgery on the 9th. My neighbour suggested moving Rosie and the kittens into an empty room in her house when the kittens are three weeks old, close to the end of October.

It would help socialize everybody in a safe place, and I won't have to worry about them being out in bad weather...but I worry about Rosie because she is so shy - the other day I was petting her, my stomach "growled", and she ran & hid.

I would bring them into my home but I can't right now. My neighbour is right across the street and the kind of woman who makes tuna birthday cakes for her cats, so I have no doubt they would be well looked after & safe, and I could visit each day til I'm ready for Rosie. My neighbour will probably take one of the kittens.

What do you think? Can you foresee any issues? Does it sound like an ok plan?

Ev

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other thing I forgot to add. Rosie keeps peeing in her queening bed. ? I'm stumped. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ev

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your neighbor is willing to help you out, I would take them up on it. As for the peeing my not sure about that. Maybe it's because of how pregnant she is. My girlfriend had a mama cat and she used a kiddy pool for her. Maybe some calming spray will help or lavender oil.

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning, April and thanks -

I went in to bring her breakfast at 5:30 this morning, and it was cool in there, but Rosie was in a great mood. We even played with her toys for awhile, which she hasn't done in weeks.

I want everybody to be warm & safe, so I think I will take my neighbour up on the offer - as long as we're all clear that I'll be taking Rosie home before too long :)

This morning I was thinking that I could line her beds with those mylar emergency blankets that reflect 90% of our body heat back to us. They would help to keep everybody warm without having to plug in heaters (I worry about fire with those) and they are pee proof.

Not going to worry overmuch about her peeing - like you say, it could be because she is very pregnant - I'm just switching the towels out for now...good thing I had a lot of oldies.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Ev

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The peeing may be marking.  She may be getting anxious and want her place to smell familiar.  Can you leave a little washrag with her scent on it under the towels.  It can be dried, so the towels don't soak up anything.  Won't be very pleasant for you but she may be more comfortable.

Didn't read all the way back but if you haven't tried Feliway or something similar, do so.  It releases calming pherenomes that will help calm her.

Fingers crossed all goes well.  Your neighbor sounds like a gem!

Last edited:

auntie ev

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thanks Ondine. You may be right. We can just as easily leave the towels etc, if it makes her more comfortable. I am using a pheromone spray, morning and evening.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I hope it goes ok too. I'm anxious to get them into a warmer, even safer environment, once the kittens are three weeks old. I hope Rosie is ok with the change, we'll all give her as much care & TLC as we can.

Ev