Advice about adopting a cat or cats?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are SO SO Beautiful. I have such a soft spot for orange cats. You are doing great, the fighting is totally normal! siblings.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And, yes, I can promise there will be days when you're trying to do a head-count, and can't find them - nothing like that to get your heart going.
I totally had one of those days today - I couldn't find Emmo at all. Figured he was just resting in a quiet place, so I let it go for the morning and afternoon. After a frantic search of my place, I finally found him squashed behind the washer (which is in a closet to which the doors were closed last night). I moved the washer out a little, and he peered at me with big eyes, but hasn't come out yet. I guess he's still not that comfortable here, which is understandable, but he sure gave me a scare.

Both kitties have eaten very little since I brought them home. I have treats, the dry food they ate at the shelter (Science Diet), and some dry food I bought (Iams), and all three are put out for them....they both arrived to the shelter a bit overweight and lost a fraction of a pound while there for 10 days (both left at 14.5 pounds with stocky builds)...I hope they start eating soon. Maybe their previous owner fed them wet food, but I don't want to start that since I've heard dry food is healthier (as long as the kitties' teeth allows them to eat it).

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Read through some of the threads under the Cat Nutrition forum. You'll find that the majority opinion here is that wet food is better than dry for cats. Also, Science Diet and Iams are both on the low end of the quality scale for dry food. If you're going to stick with dry you need to do some research on what is really best for your kitties.

for getting your boys more comfortable in their new home. I had one cat who would hide behind the washing machine. The only way I could lure her out was with a laser pointer.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mina

I just brought them home. They're both in hiding - one behind the refrigerator (I hope he can get out!) and one under my couch. I understand they must be traumatized from their move and a brand new environment....I hope they grow to like it here eventually.

It turns out they are both front-declawed (the shelter told me yesterday that only one of them was), so I'll have to return the scratching pad I bought this morning. No health problems though - I am thankful for that.
Scratching pad - don't return - they'll still use it - oh, I see someone else already told you, sorry - all my cats like the sisal rope scratch pads, I think that's how it's spelled.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much unless they don't eat anything after 36 hours or so from when you came home with them - as long as they are drinking water. They're probably just getting used to their new home - don't forget, they don't really know they're in a forever home yet - they just remember one place, then the shelter, and now this place (and who knows what else came in between). If it goes longer than that, I'd definitely call the vet for more professional advice.

Sometimes, just as a kick-starter, either some very smelly food (like Trader Joe's tuna for cats), Friskies wet (yes, maybe not the best food out there, but can work like a charm for cats that are off their appetites) or meat baby food (chicken or turkey - plain - no garlic or onion) can get them interested. But sometimes when they're nervous, the appetite goes - just like a human.

I'd say take your time changing food, and do transition slowly from one food to another. Some cats seem to have cast-iron tummies, but a lot of cats need a slower transition, especially if you're moving to a richer food. That's why it's usually suggested to stick with whatever food they were used to - so many changes are happening in such a short time, it's not always the best time to introduce a radically different diet in too short a time.

I was just thinking - when you're not home, if you could keep a radio on softly, especially to either soft classical music, or new agey-music, especially harp, that may help them too. But, they're probably just figuring out what's going on, and now their territory is a lot bigger than the shelter cage. Just keep talking them softly and they'll be out before you know it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

You'll find that the majority opinion here is that wet food is better than dry for cats. Also, Science Diet and Iams are both on the low end of the quality scale for dry food.
Science Diet and Iams arent bad. In Europe they probably counts as one of the better. The point is though, there are nowadays a lot of better dry foods. Especielly many of the USA made, and also some made in Canada.

And yes, a decent wet food is probably best as their main food. And some good dry food as fill up, so they have something to crunch on during the night...

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

Before I begin, I'd just like to welcome you, Mina. This site has been a tremendous bright spot in my life since I joined a couple of months back and I hope your experience here is much the same

I was in a similar situation to you 3 years ago. Since then, my life has drastically changed, but I can see where you're coming from because, just a year ago, I was considering the adoption of my first two cats. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, but I feel like I have a lot to share on this issue. So, please, bear with me.

That was beautiful
What a heartwarming story of cat love.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww...they are such lucky boys!

Thank you for being their angel

You clearly have love for cats and good instincts. THey will be just fine. One might need a bit more time is all to feel comfy. My kitty hid behind the stove too the moment I brought her home
Getting her out wasnt easy.

Consider two or more litter boxes for them. I would do three actually if you have the room.

I'm so pleased you took the boys home that touched your heart instead of deciding before you got there the guidelines to stick to. I ended up with a kitten that way when I went wanting an older cat - age 4 or 5. (I'll tell ya...those grown up ones who had been loved for years by a nice family that get "dumped" -no matter the reason, just break my heart.) None of the older cats wanted me LOL. I got bit and scratched and hissed out. Smidge is the only one who said "Take me home. Please love me." Ah, it was meant to be.

Enjoy! You are so lucky!

mina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice you all
. darlili, I'll buy some wet food the next time I go the store and see how it's received. The kitties mainly eat at night - I don't see their food bowl go down during the day, but usually by the morning, a large chunk has been removed.

Turns out Emmo was somewhat trapped behind the washer - I finally was able to move the washer and coax him enough for him to come out.

Last night both kitties were on my bed when I laid down to bed, but maybe 30 minutes later, I got woken up by lots of meowing all over the place. The meows starting out with a low rumbly sound followed by a high-pitched "me-OWW." They weren't fighting, as far as I could tell - just crying out for attention (which they do a lot, but especially at night). I closed my door most of the way, went back to bed, and the meowing (and occasional banging) started again. After what seemed like an hour of not being able to fall asleep due to the outside meowing, I shut the doors. This morning, the trash can was knocked over again, and all the closet doors were open. Have any of you dealt with similar rambunctious kitty behavior? This is definitely something I'll talk about with the vet later this week.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mina

Thanks for the advice you all
. darlili, I'll buy some wet food the next time I go the store and see how it's received. The kitties mainly eat at night - I don't see their food bowl go down during the day, but usually by the morning, a large chunk has been removed.

Turns out Emmo was somewhat trapped behind the washer - I finally was able to move the washer and coax him enough for him to come out.

Last night both kitties were on my bed when I laid down to bed, but maybe 30 minutes later, I got woken up by lots of meowing all over the place. The meows starting out with a low rumbly sound followed by a high-pitched "me-OWW." They weren't fighting, as far as I could tell - just crying out for attention (which they do a lot, but especially at night). I closed my door most of the way, went back to bed, and the meowing (and occasional banging) started again. After what seemed like an hour of not being able to fall asleep due to the outside meowing, I shut the doors. This morning, the trash can was knocked over again, and all the closet doors were open. Have any of you dealt with similar rambunctious kitty behavior? This is definitely something I'll talk about with the vet later this week.
It's commonly known as "the nighttime crazies". I've never found a cure for it.
It does help if you play with the kitties for at least 15-20 minutes before you go to bed. Try to wear them out ahead of time. Is there any way you can secure the closet doors? As long as they're eating, I wouldn't worry about when. My cats have always eaten more at night than during the day.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you may have to use baby proofing stuff for your cabinets. I keep my trash bin under the kitchen counter in a cabinet, I hate waking up to trash on the floor! or you can see about getting one you can lock somehow. Under a cabinet is probably easier.

I agree with playing before bedtime. But they go through spurts also where they like to "prowl" at night and make they can be noisy. I ignore them the best I can. I also try and tucker them out before bed. A laser pointer or da bird toy is a good way to get them really tired (and its great for bonding!)

they are so cute! I am glad you opened up your heart to them even though you went in looking for younger kitties.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats always decided to wait until we were in bed to do their running about. Dusty used to bring super balls upstairs and drop them on our wood floor (1 of only 2 rooms in the entire house without carpet) just to hear them bounce. You couldn't throw the ball out of the room; it just encouraged him to fetch. I began picking them up and stuffing them under my pillow till morning.

Of course, he was a kitten. Two grown cats - pretty amazing that they're still this active. Obviously, they know each other well. I would guess that they'll settle down some when they've settled in.

Good luck. It sounds so cozy and homey there. Makes me wistful for my single days of apartment life with just my 2 kitties. (But don't tell my family that!
)

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, it seems to me that things are coming along well. They must be feelng more secure if they're starting to make a rumpus!
I second the baby proofing idea - especially if they can get at anything like string, yarn, or dental floss in the garbage cans or closets. If you can't get your garbage cans behind securely sealed doors, I'd suggest getting cans that have really good covers - honestly, the whole baby-proofing deal applies to cats and dogs as well, IMO.

And a little pre-bed playing and maybe a treat may help them sleep better through the night, but I think right now they're just starting to feel at home. Mine are around 6 or 7, and we start out sleeping together, but they definitely go wandering the halls during the night before coming back to bed.

My guys nibble all day, but I notice they do seem to chow down during the night. If you do decide to introduce wet food, again, I suggest doing it slowly - a lot of cats do experience digestive problems (usually runny stool) when the diet changes too quickly or too radically. But, I do think the vet will be happy to work with you and any questions you have.

But, I've got the feeling they're really starting to bond with you - you'll really know you're in when they start sitting or laying with you with their rumps in your face - that's a position of total trust in you.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww congrats on your additions. Ive got a soft spot for orange tabbies..I still havent been able to bring myself to get another one since Dawkins passed away. Food wise Ive found that I cant use wet food cuz it makes my boys poo runny and stinky but I use Purina Indoor Cat food for them and they love it. As for the "nighttime crazies" there is no cure lol..The only pet on my schedule is my dog all three cats start out in bed with us or atleast in the bedroom and then by atleast midnight GiGi is on the BF's head waking him up to play and Fatman and Hercules are pigging out and peeing and pooing up their boxes. I havent been able to break this habit of theirs but my some miracle when I wake up we are all in bed snoozing together! LOL....I hope you have tons of fun with your boys and good luck with the hiding!

*Tyler*

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how things are going - hope everything is progressing well!

mina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I've had Tigger and Emmo (renamed Leo upon my mom's request) for over two months now, and they've been wonderful =). Leo is my shadow, sleeping on my bed with me (and during the day when I'm gone), and Tigger is a loveable and very vocal furball, always sitting near me. They both have loud purrs that can be heard from several feet away

The only recurrent issue I've had is some recurrent play-fighting/fighting between the two of them - I'm not sure whether it's playing or fighting. During their active, 'wild' phase in the evenings, they chase each other around the house. Sometimes I see more aggressive behavior - like one cat pinning the other down and trying to bite him or scratch him with his back claws. If I catch that sort of behavior going on, I try to intervene most of the time by lowering the tone of my voice and ordering them to get off each other (which usually works), or moving closer to them (in which case the offending cat runs off).

Sometimes it seems like the boys mildly injure each other - sometimes I see a red spot on one boy's ear, or a nick in his fur somewhere. When I took Leo to the vet, the vet noticed a bite-mark on one of Leo's ears and told me to be on the look-out if anything worse appears.

The boys are never aggressive towards me - there have been no attempts at biting, scratching, or any other similar behavior. I have picked up and held both of them (Leo likes it, Tigger doesn't), and when they want down, they meow and maybe squirm a little, but don't get aggressive. I have never heard either cat hiss or growl, at me, or at anything else (except at the shelter, when Tigger growled at a dog he saw and heard from the window of the private room I was in with them. When Leo is happy, he is also playful, and loves to try to chew my ponytail (if I'm on my bed with him) or the strings of my bathrobe, but he always knows when to stop (when I pull away, or pull the item away, he always withdraws).

They both have a few toys that are always 'okay' to bite on - they both love feather toys, and I always leave them out. Should I get them more toys they can be aggressive with? Any ideas on what kinds?

The only other possibly-pertinent behavior - I haven't observed much 'close' interaction between Leo and Tigger - occasionally they will sit within a few feet of other, usually when I'm in the room. At night Leo will usually lay on my bed with me, and Tigger will be directly under him underneath my bed (but Tigger will jump on my bed during the night, and sometimes crawl under the covers!). Sometimes they will lick each other on the face or the top of the head. But I'm not really sure what behavior constitutes two (neutered male) cats getting along with each other, versus tolerating each other, versus being jealous of and antagonistic with each other. I love my boys the same, and try to give them equal attention, so if I've done anything to favor one over the other, it's totally unconscious.

(In case you didn't read the rest of the thread - Tigger and Leo are both 5 years old, adopted from an animal shelter, and lived in their former home together for 5 years. They may or may not be brothers. And of course, they are both neutered.)

For those of you who have multiple cat households, does this seem normal? Troublesome? Any tips? Thanks for reading

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I can offer the best advice - as I have two cats that will kill each other upon sight.

But I compare that to my Twitch & Lily - they fight, tussle, crab at each other, & walk away with a few scratches often. IMO, some cats are just "rough & tumble" types?
I'm hoping someone else comes along soon to answer as well - as I know my cats aren't good models of behavior.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get along really well. I have an 11 yr old male, a 5 yr old female, and a almost 3 yr old male. When playing they can get rough. Biting, bunny kicking each other with their feet. But they are playing. Cat fights are really really bad. You'd definately be able to tell the difference. My cats will also all groom each other. It is a sign of acceptance. Occasionally they will get wounded but I just keep an eye on it so it won't get infected. Accidents happen.
Fiona smacks Rocko in the face on a regular basis but he doesn't mind so much. Occasionally he will chase her and she makes a huge fuss hissing at him. But they also sleep together and groom each other.

I would recommend not getting in the middle of their interactions. They will work out their relationship between the two of them. Cats relate to each other in ways we cannot understand sometimes. If you get between them it could be misconstrued as perhaps favoring one over the other and could cause issues. Could also be frustrating their relationship from being normal and running its natural course and THAT could cause probelms. Just leave them be and enjoy watching their antics.

Unless of course one of the cats is showing signs of stress or hiding from the other one than that tells me they need to be seperated. But you circumstances sound normal. Be very happy about that!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal, from my experience. I've had cats (and the playful ones always have been males, here) do exactly what you and fifi1puss are describing. They'll play, chase, Dusty (who is twice Mickey's size) will get rough, and Mickey will yell: game over. They love each other.

Fifi1puss, that grooming/acceptance thing you mentioned is interesting. My males have always groomed each other (till one bites the other's neck, then the scuffle begins). But I've noticed that Scaredy (young feral female, moved in last year) will groom both Dusty and Mickey. But they never groom her. I know they both wish she weren't here. I wonder if it's because they don't accept her.

Anyway, Mina, congratulations I'm glad everyone is happy!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I say groom I mean a lick or two.
Fiona goes to town on ReeRee, he is her surrogate kitten I think.
Every since he arrived she would pin him and lick him till he sqwacked at her. She even lets him suck her paws as she grooms him.
I call it "sucky toes time"

She will lick Rocko's head a few times and than rub against him and leave. But I'll take it after seeing her smack his head everyday, a few times a day for over a year! She still smacks him but not as often. She is the princess for sure.

Rocko has gotten a lick in on her a few times also but definately not like what she does with ReeRee. Also, ReeRee isn't allowed to groom her as she grooms him. But I have seen her a few times let him groom her all around her neck and ears. Depends on her mood I suppose. Its a funny thing for sure.

It is interesting you noticed your boys don't groom her like she grooms them.
i think them LETTING her groom them is a sign of acceptance as much as BEING groomed.