Adventures With New Savannah Kitten And 10 Year Old Manx

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone.

first timer here. I’ve always had 2 cats, previously i had a siamese and then got my manx. The siamese was 11 abd she passed recently. My manx is 10, andstill fairly active and spry.

Anyway i brought home an f7 savannah, male, fixed. Manx female is also fixed. Savannah is 17 weeks old.

Anyway she’s not impressed to say the least.. it’s been 3 days and i’ve introduced him to the rest of my apartment only this morning. He’s mildly skittish but outgoing and playful, but she’s understandably not. To be fair today is the first day they’ve been loose together, some hissing from my manx, but no aggression. Anyway she’s stayed in the same room growling when he comes close. Then this aft she was fleeing and he started chasing think she was playing. i broke that off quick before she could get cornered. But i’m concerned he’s going to misinterpret her and think she’s playing and get himself hurt.... any suggestions on how to smooth things?. I’ve tried treats and he will eat them but she won’t , just focused on my savannah.

again no fighting yet but i can’t be here 24 7, and locking him back in his safe room isn’t really an option as he starts crying really bad, he craves company.

just looking for ideas to make this easier for my manx. I have to say i havnt seen this aloof side of her before, and i didn’t even know she knew HOW to hiss :(.

thoughts?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep their time together short and make it a long gradual introduction. She may never be too happy about a youngster in the house but she may tolerate him if she has enough time. I expect she will give him a few wacks to let him know who is boss but I doubt she would actually hurt him. Make sure she has some escape places to get up and away from him but allow him and her to interact without interfering unless it turns into a real fight which it probably never will

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yddeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Susan :)

Unfortunately the situation has declined to my manx now hiding in my office and not coming out at all even though my savannah is just sleeping in the cat tree :(. I’ve picked her up and brought her out a few times and shown her from across the room that he’s sleeping. She’ll sit in my lap for a second or two, then hop down and trot back to my office with her stump down, which is very unlike her :(. Maybe i’m thinking too much into it but i actually feel guilty like she feels she’s been usurped by him. But then maybe he’s just more dominant than she is even though he was just trying to play with her?.

Bottom line she’ll have to come out eventually to use the litter and eat. But thinking she feels she can only do so at night makes me sad. I’m really hoping she will come around.

I read somewhere in the manual that if you tell an irrational cat to calm down it will realize it’s being irrational and it’ll calm down. That didn’t happen though! :(

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Routines and territory are very important to older cats. It would be best if the kitten could be kept in a separate room so your older cat can have the run of the house and then the kitten can be brought out for short periods. With the age difference you really need to take it slowly.