Adventure Cats (Show your Cats on Leash!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hannah's pink harness blending in with the tea tree shrub. 💗 She loved her walks in the yard.

View attachment 443928
Beautiful! How long did it take for you to train her to walk on leash? She really looks like one of those laidback cats unlike mines lol....

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s not too far from how Daisy’s started going out on a leash. She wasn’t keen the first few times I tried it on her indoors, and I didn’t persist with it. Then recently she started door-dashing again, so I skipped trying it indoors and went straight to putting it on her and taking her into the courtyard. Only took a couple of goes before she associated the harness with going there. Last night she came to me when she heard the rattle as I took it from the cupboard! I’m getting her used to walks out the front at present. There’s nothing in the courtyard, not even adequate shade to sit with her. But there are garden beds, a big lawn and and outdoor furniture in the communal garden, and not many people walking their dogs (all small dogs, too) to frighten her. I’m really impressed at how quickly she’s grasped the idea that harness = outdoors.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lizzy sadly regressed on being comfortable with traffic and now doesn't like to venture far from the patio and around the apartment buildings (right by people's windows so it's awkward to walk her especially at night), so we don't get to go out much. Combine that with phoenix summer being too hot for her.

She is tether trained so I can attach a long leash to my couch and let her go out and she just chills and doesn't hit the end of the leash and freak out. I'm always watching her and don't leave her alone. She likes sitting out in the light rain.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lizzy sadly regressed on being comfortable with traffic and now doesn't like to venture far from the patio and around the apartment buildings (right by people's windows so it's awkward to walk her especially at night), so we don't get to go out much. Combine that with phoenix summer being too hot for her.

She is tether trained so I can attach a long leash to my couch and let her go out and she just chills and doesn't hit the end of the leash and freak out. I'm always watching her and don't leave her alone. She likes sitting out in the light rain.
That’s what I used to do with Maddie. Our previous home was a portable on stilts (being on a biggish property in flood territory) so had a big front verandah, a deck really. I’d sit outside when it wasn’t too hot, and Mads would laze around on her long lead and survey her realm, and look down on my sister’s dogs from on high.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s not too far from how Daisy’s started going out on a leash. She wasn’t keen the first few times I tried it on her indoors, and I didn’t persist with it. Then recently she started door-dashing again, so I skipped trying it indoors and went straight to putting it on her and taking her into the courtyard. Only took a couple of goes before she associated the harness with going there. Last night she came to me when she heard the rattle as I took it from the cupboard! I’m getting her used to walks out the front at present. There’s nothing in the courtyard, not even adequate shade to sit with her. But there are garden beds, a big lawn and and outdoor furniture in the communal garden, and not many people walking their dogs (all small dogs, too) to frighten her. I’m really impressed at how quickly she’s grasped the idea that harness = outdoors.
When you skip trying it indoors and straight to putting it on, you mean putting it on while she is already outside? That is actually what I had to do with my cats. We took them out, once they know the outdoor is safe, they didn't mind being strapped on with the harness. And yes, our cats associated the sounds of the harness and leash with outdoors pretty quickly too. They learn real fast when it comes to something that excites them and brings them joy. :) Training our cats was tricky, we had to make sure we give them treats everytime it is time to go back home, otherwise they get feisty. So we had to have to them associate going back home with something good lol

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you skip trying it indoors and straight to putting it on, you mean putting it on while she is already outside? That is actually what I had to do with my cats. We took them out, once they know the outdoor is safe, they didn't mind being strapped on with the harness. And yes, our cats associated the sounds of the harness and leash with outdoors pretty quickly too. They learn real fast when it comes to something that excites them and brings them joy. :) Training our cats was tricky, we had to make sure we give them treats everytime it is time to go back home, otherwise they get feisty. So we had to have to them associate going back home with something good lol
Ah, no, with Daisy I put the harness and lead on her indoors and took her outside. She’s never outdoors without it unless she’s done a door-dash.

taomom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise