adult rescue -- refuses to use litter box

Michael *kensi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need advice about how to train a cat to use a litter box.
Here's the story: I recently got a 12 year old cat from the Humane Society. I am the 3rd owner; I was told that the previous owner also rescued him, but had to give back after a couple months because of this issue. Apparently, the first owner didn't train him (perhaps an outdoor cat).
He does his business in the lower level (den), in a hallway to the garage.
I had the litter pan on the main level (where he is all day). I moved it to that hallway, but he still doesn't use it.
I've tried 'coaxing' him to use it (just a bit, so I didn't stress him out).
I've also tried pee-pads; he used them maybe a few times, but just to pee.
Is there anything I can do to train him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He might have been outdoor cat previously. If so, he might be willing to use a litter box (or cardboard box lid for now) with soil, mulch, etc. collected from the outdoors, especially in the place where he often now does his business.

What is special about the area where he goes - close to a door to the outside? What is the surface he is currently using?

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had this happen with older rescues who lived a life which might have been mostly on concrete or in a very urban setting.

Will he use a litterbox at all? A litterbox with a pee pad in it, which has worked for me? Try multiple very inexpensive litter boxes, even any type of box that could be a substitute like the top of a carton, and see how he reacts.

There are litter attractants which can be added to litter. I have had cats transition to using a little box once they figure out what it is and I have one now who only uses a pee pad in a litter box, but will not touch litter.

Thank you for helping this cat who has clearly had a hard life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Michael *kensi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He might have been outdoor cat previously. If so, he might be willing to use a litter box (or cardboard box lid for now) with soil, mulch, etc. collected from the outdoors, especially in the place where he often now does his business.

What is special about the area where he goes - close to a door to the outside? What is the surface he is currently using?
No, it's not by an outside door. It has low pile carpet (which I was planning on ripping out anyway).
I'm guessing that he knows to not do that in the main living area.

I have had this happen with older rescues who lived a life which might have been mostly on concrete or in a very urban setting.

Will he use a litterbox at all? A litterbox with a pee pad in it, which has worked for me? Try multiple very inexpensive litter boxes, even any type of box that could be a substitute like the top of a carton, and see how he reacts.

There are litter attractants which can be added to litter. I have had cats transition to using a little box once they figure out what it is and I have one now who only uses a pee pad in a litter box, but will not touch litter.

Thank you for helping this cat who has clearly had a hard life.
Yes, he has used the litter box -- rarely, and just to pee.
I could try just a pee pad in the litterbox.

I even tried a commode! Yeah, I saw that some cats were trained to sit on a commode. He was not interested in that.

Also, I plan on letting him outside (just for a short time -- NOT to roam or hunt). I did this with my previous cat; she learned the boundaries of my property (it's .8 acre). She didn't need a leash.

Michael *kensi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still can't emphasize enough the idea a litter box (or cardboard box lid for now) with soil, mulch, etc. collected from the outdoors, especially in the place where he often now does his business. If he would use this, there are ways to gradually convert him to a 'regular' litter box.
Oh, yes, I'll certainly try that. I do think it's an interesting idea.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of litter do you currently have in the box?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Michael *kensi Michael *kensi
What type of litter are you using currently?

Can you take a paper and move a poo to the box? Leave it there a few days. It shows it's a safe place to go.

I'd recommend one litter per floor while training.

Michael *kensi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of litter do you currently have in the box?
What type of litter are you using currently?

Can you take a paper and move a poo to the box? Leave it there a few days. It shows it's a safe place to go.

I'd recommend one litter per floor while training.
Pine pellets.
It's a holdover from my previous cat.

Ok, I'll try the 'move a poo' trick.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pine pellets.

Personally, I found pine pellets VERY difficult to train a cat to go on who isn't used to pellets.

I'd recommend getting something like corn or wheat based litter for overtop the pellets. That trick worked wonders for me with many cats.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pine pellets.

Doesn’t this have a fragrance? I would definitely go with a completely unscented litter to train. My cat disliked her box as a kitten until I realized she was being put off by the scent. I thought since she was so little, I could start her out on anything. Nope. You can gradually change them to what you want probably, but I would go with a basic unscented clumping clay litter. With clumps, there will be no guesswork as to if he’s using it. Just use a box top or disposable pan with a little of that and see if he goes for it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lollie lollie most pine pellet litters are not scented. There is a bit of a natural pine smell I suppose.

While I don't personally recommend clay litter to anyone, but especially not for male cats, many posters on the site recommend Dr Elsey's litter attractant version with positive results so perhaps follow Lollie's advice!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I use Dr Elsey’s unscented. 👍

While I’ve never used pellets, I remember getting some kind of litter years ago that smelt like pine. Nearly knocked me out! Have no idea what it was. If pellets don’t smell that wouldn’t be putting him off then. Do agree that an outdoor cat is going to want to dig, in something as close as possible to dirt.