Adult Mouthing? Weirdo Kitty.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So last time I posted here it was about a pregnant kitty that unceremoniously attached herself to me. A lot of her strange behavior I assumed was a result of hormones since I’d never dealt with kitty pregnancy. All my experience has been with dogs until recently. But Squeaker? She’s the most unique animal I’ve ever had and she does the most curious thing.

A tiny bit of her history that I know of:

She was a stray/street cat in my mother-in-law’s neighborhood. We’d been trying (unsuccessfully) to TNR one of the local feral boy kitties and one day she just showed up squeaking (not meowing!) away at my MIL. She let her pick her up and pet her and feed her and even started licking and purring immediately. We just assumed she’d been starving and was grateful for the food. But alas, she’s just weird.

Fast forward—we quarantined her until the vet appointment and the only thing the vet found was the possibility that she might be pregnant. So we kept her in quarantine and just a few weeks later she had four adorable little brats. When the brats were five months we got her and them all spayed and neutered, but all of her odd behavior is still around so now I can no longer chalk it up to hormones.

She’s the friendliest, most outgoing, cat I’d ever met. Not an ounce of fear from her when we introduced her to the other cats and she never even flinched when we took her to the vet. She was running around and squeaking all over the vet’s office. Instead of being cautious when the techs came in she just went right up to them and settled in their arms while being examined.

All these little things seemed to me that she was raised, quite well, with humans. So we hunted and tried our best to find her owner but to no avail. So. She adopted us. It definitely wasn’t the other way around, we had no choice in the matter.

Anyway. That brings me to this weird behavior she exhibits. You see, she chews our fingers. Never hard. You can’t even call it a nip or a bite because she never bites down. It’s more like she rolls our fingers around her mouth. It’s the oddest thing I’d ever seen. She just...kind of chews. She doesn’t close her mouth to suckle and doesn’t bite to nip or use anything beyond her front little tiny teeth. She’s been checked out by the vet and she even admitted that she’s just an odd little cat.

The chewing doesn’t bother us because she’s extremely gentle and she’s never bitten or hissed or scratched out of malice, anger, or fear. She’s just...

Odd.

We estimated her age at somewhere between 8 months and a year and a half. So she’d be close to or at 2 years old now.

The other odd thing she does is that when she chooses to lay down somewhere, she’ll refuse to budge no matter how many times you poke or prod her. You have to pick her up to move her. All my other cats will...well move. Not her.

I’m just looking for insights to see if anyone else has experienced something like this and whether or not it’s a throwback to when she was a kitten (bottle fed maybe?) or if she’s just weird. Well. She is weird. She’s my little weirdo.

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, your cat's not that weird--lots of cats do the soft biting thing. All the cats I had and have do it to one degree or another. It's actually an expression of affection, usually referred to as "love bites." As long as it's gentle and doesn't hurt, it's okay, but don't let it get aggressive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup. It's kitty love. It isn't all that unusual, although the whole fingertip in the mouth is odd, but..."odd" is what cats do best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had a lot of cats and most just bite. This behavior is just new to me. Everything I’ve researched is all regards to biting and love nips but they don’t quite describe what she’s doing.

Thanks for all the responses! Was mostly just curious if anyone’s seen behavior like this.

She isn’t even remotely aggressive, so no real worries there.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol!

Silly torties! One of her kitties is almost a print-for-print duplicate of her. When Sushi gets older I suspect I’m in for a fun time between the two of them.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hah! Sushi’s brother is a dilute ginger so I named him Crouton. He’s a bit of noodle. To be fair, Sushi’s a bit of a noodle too. Her favorite game for two months was going to the top of the stairs and rolling down them. She was the first born and the tiniest, for the first week we worried about her since she was underweight and preferred pulling herself with her front paws instead of walking. She’s always been a bit behind developmentally compared to her brothers, which is fine because she’s fantastic.

Raising kittens has been an insight into the feline mind I never knew I wanted.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, they're all a bit of a noodle, to tell you the truth! Hekitty, who is actually named for the Greek Goddess Hekate, likes to crawl under the covers when I'm asleep and walk down the back of my body, brushing my legs with her whiskers. Brings me right out of a dead sleep! Now, when she really wants me up in the mornings, she sticks her paw in my mouth and jerks on my cheek. There's no even pretending to sleep through that!

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that's fantastic! Cats, by far, are one of my favorite creatures. :)