Adult male cat starting to "act out".

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old neutered male cat has been.. well, "acting out" and I have no idea as to why or how I can help the situation. While he's not doing anything too terribly bad, the behavior is very unlike him. Normally, he's very well behaved, extremely affectionate and clingy, and usually listens very well when told "no", etc. I've had him since he was 6 months old, so the sudden change in attitude the last couple of months as very noticeable.

Lately, he's taken up to constant yowling if I don't let him be with me at all times. I work from home, and often have to lock him out of the room so I can get work done. He's simply not content with just being in the room with me or beside me, but wants to be cradled/held almost 24/7. The clinginess and wanting to be held is basically status quo, but he's become very pushy and demanding to where if he's not being coddled, he will knock things over, mess with the plugs at the back of my computer as I work, run amok yowling, and generally being a fuzzy pain in the butt. I call him the "bully o' love".

He's taken to knocking over hs water and food bowls, creating a mess in whatever location I put them in (thought maybe he wanted a change of food scenery, since he started pushing said bowls to various locations of the house). Must invest in some rubber bottomed, hard to tip bowls, I suppose.

I used to be able to let him sleep in the bed with me, for years in fact, as he loves to share a pillow and snuggle with me (he likes to be held something akin to a teddy bear, heh), but now, I can't get more than three hours sleep because he's bounding off my head, nibbling my hands, meowing in my ear, or purposefully sinking his claws slowly into my arms and legs to try to wake me. Not because he wants food, but because he just wants me awake to pay attention to him. When I try to get him to leave? He puts up a major fight and "sass talks" me before I end up just having to scoop him up and /make/ him leave, when in the past, all I'd have to do is clap my hands and tell him he needs to go.

He's even escaped the house a few times within the last month while I was bringing in groceries, when in the past, he's had no desire to know what was beyond the confines of the house whatsoever. This last time, this evening, was the first he actually left the porch when I tried to lure him back in. Took me an hour of wandering around my large, heavily foliated yard with a flash light shaking a bag of catnip, to get him close enough to scoop up and bring inside. I live in a densely populated area, with lots of traffic, ornery wildlife (raccoons, opossums, other cats, etc.) and he's really not one to be readily able to defend himself (he has all his claws, but.. he's a bit of a wimp, truth be told) and I fear for his safety if he ever gets too far from the house. He's NEVER been outside for longer than a minute or two, till now.

It was a slow progression, not a sudden change, and it seems as each day goes by, he's getting more... well, like a spoiled teenager. LOL Dunno how else to explain it. I play with him often, he has lots of toys and activities, the attention I give him hasn't dwindled, and his diet is basically the same as it always has been. Hell, I've even taken him to the vet to make sure there's not an underlying medical condition he's trying to somehow alert me to, had a full workup, and he's absolutely fine.

He is my first cat/pet, so I dunno if this is usual "I'm all grown up and I'll do what I wanna" behavior of a male cat or what.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Could /me/ being stressed out be rubbing off on him, or him sensing it? I've been going through some personal stuff and we will be moving to a new house soon, and while I haven't started packing or changing our routine just yet, perhaps he has a sense that things are-a-changing? I dunno, it's the only thng I can think of.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is my first cat/pet, so I dunno if this is usual "I'm all grown up and I'll do what I wanna" behavior of a male cat or what.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Could /me/ being stressed out be rubbing off on him, or him sensing it? I've been going through some personal stuff and we will be moving to a new house soon, and while I haven't started packing or changing our routine just yet, perhaps he has a sense that things are-a-changing? I dunno, it's the only thng I can think of.
6 years is too long for him to go into a "phase". Most cats do that in their teenage years - 8 months-ish to about 18 months. Cats do pick up on vibes, so it is very possible. What you've described sounds like separation anxiety. I'm afraid I'm not much help though, but I'd be interested to know what is the case, especially since you said the vet found nothing wrong with him.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly, it sounds like you have a wonderful, caring relationship with your cat and I truly hope you find out what is contributing to this change in behaviour.   Being aware of the change and taking time to search for a cause aware that might be related to the people around him is a strong start.

As you have already been to your vet to check out any possible health causes, assuming you have confidence in your vet and trust their opinion, then your awareness that personal things have been going on for you and that there is a forthcoming move of home seems the most likely factor.  Cats sense everything, and when the people they are close to have things going on it affects them deeply and they can respond in many different ways. I know I was unwell last year and Mouse was the first to pick up on it and he was much quieter and more anxious. It took me some time to realize the cause was me not being well.  More fool me.

Have you ever used Feliway with your cat?  If anxiety is the main contributing factor that might help to settle him.  You could try the plug in diffuser and/or the localized spray - may be on the bed for a quieter night.

Another possible factor could be if there are other animals / cats around that are causing him anxiety, and again Feliway may help with this.  It seems less likely though if there is no territory marking by way of scratching and spraying/defecating. 

Hope things settle down for you and your feline companion.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On top of what you and the other posters have said, there is also your reaction to his new behaviour. I'm not suggesting you're doing anything wrong, just that the dynamic between you two may have changed and you may be 'feeding' off each others anxiety. Your reactions to his behaviour/anxiety could be disconcerting to him, just because you're not being 'you'. I hope that makes sense. Mind you, I'm not terribly familiar with anxiety in animals and I'm assuming you react to his behaviour even with the best of intentions.

tiffany tran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find a solution to this? my cat too does all the things you are describing and i cant find any way to calm him.