Adult Male Cat (neutered) Hates Male Kitten

Hannahrose11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so I live with my parents, and that means that the cats have to live outside. Toto, our 3 1/2 year-old Male cat, has been comfortably living in our yard and on our porch for years, and during this time, many female strays, adult and kitten alike, have passed through, and Toto has accepted all of them with love - playing with them and cleaning them and sleeping with them. About a week and a half ago, a very scared kitten showed up at our house, and began hiding from us in our cars. I managed to catch the kitten (Male) and placed him in a spacy enclosure on our front porch, where he can get used to humans without the fear of him climbing in a car again and someone not knowing (and accidentally killing him). Since this time, Toto has REFUSED to step foot on the front porch. He’s living in a building behind our house, and only comes to the porch to hiss at Turnip (the kitten) and eat some food before disappearing again. Turnip is only about 6-7 weeks old - so idk how Toto is threatened by him in any way. Is Toto acting this way bc Turnip is a boy?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its more likely because the kitten is stressed being in a cage and putting out stress-smell. Kitten that young doesn't have much in the way of male hormones and just wouldn't smell like an adult male.

I guess you didn't have any choice if he was hiding in cars, and you cant' take him in, but can't you try and find a home for him rather than cage him? Doesn't seem like a particularly good way to achieve the goal of getting him comfortable around humans.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannahrose11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its more likely because the kitten is stressed being in a cage and putting out stress-smell. Kitten that young doesn't have much in the way of male hormones and just wouldn't smell like an adult male.

I guess you didn't have any choice if he was hiding in cars, and you cant' take him in, but can't you try and find a home for him rather than cage him? Doesn't seem like a particularly good way to achieve the goal of getting him comfortable around humans.
We’ve been trying to find him a home - and he’s actually become quite comfortable! He’s scared of humans when they’re standing, but when held and petted it all purring and kisses. He doesn’t seem stressed in the enclosure either - I see him playing with the toys he’s given and napping most of the time.

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got an adult male and a male kitten at the same time at the shelter. It took almost 6 months for us to be able to leave them in the same room together. The adult hated the kitten so much.

They still have rip roaring fights sometimes but they also love each other and will occasionally snuggle.

I doubt your adult will get used to the kitten before you rehome it.