(Adult) cat won't use litter box

angel23456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, one male and one female, both fixed. Pumpkin, my little female, is the sweetest little orange tabby cat, but she's always had problems with using the litter box downstairs. She's not old (maybe 4 years?) Pumpkin is also perfectly healthy. She's not overgrown, has no bladder problems.

Lately she's been going to the bathroom outside of the litter box (both pee and poo) and since we have hardwood floors that need to be refinished, it's ruining the floor if we don't find out about it fast enough. I mean, sure she goes in the litter box sometimes, but it seems to be more outside of it than in. Is there any way I can get her to stop using the restroom outside of the litter box?

Pumpkin also doesn't cover up her messes inside the litter box when she uses it, but instead scrapes the hood or side of the litter box.

Please help! My mom's getting tired of her making messes on the floor, and is threatening to make her either an outdoor cat or get rid of her.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the litterbox big enough? How often is it cleaned? One thing that works for a lot of cats is to put another box directly next to the first one. . .sometimes they just want a choice, I guess :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angel23456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the litterbox big enough? How often is it cleaned? One thing that works for a lot of cats is to put another box directly next to the first one. . .sometimes they just want a choice, I guess
The litter box is a fair size, and our other cat (who is overgrown) uses it just fine. It is an automatic litter box, and my dad cleans it out. Putting two boxes there might work, but I doubt my parents would want to really do that since it'd cost more money that we don't have, and we don't have the space for two of them where the one is. Hmm..

emmapenguin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what type of litter tray do you have cos i have always put a normal one inside a cardboard box and made a hole in the side of it if that doesn't work try puppy pads under and around the tray or watch him an when he starts to pee/poop put him in the tray

benjeremy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it covered? I was having issues, until I uncovered one of our litterboxes for one of our cats who kept pooping in a different room.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats don't like automatic boxes. It may have gone off one when she was near it and now she's scared. I'd recommend having another box, not automatic, maybe nearby, maybe some other location. But if your parents aren't willing to make any changes to remedy the situation, I don't really know what to say :dk:.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah i have never been a fan of automatic trays they'd creep me out if i had to pee in it lol
True.  My human son will hold it in rather than use automatic flushing toilets...they terrify him....even if I promise to cover the sensor.  And he can understand that it won't hurt him.  I imagine it is pretty scary for a cat. 

angel23456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lot of cats don't like automatic boxes. It may have gone off one when she was near it and now she's scared. I'd recommend having another box, not automatic, maybe nearby, maybe some other location. But if your parents aren't willing to make any changes to remedy the situation, I don't really know what to say
Both cats are fine with the box, and it only goes off once they're out of it. (And besides that, it's not exactly working right now. ^^) I do have another litter box in my room upstairs that isn't automatic. 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Pumpkin is also perfectly healthy. She's not overgrown, has no bladder problems.
So you have gone to the vet after Pumpkin started going outside the box? 

But it really looks like she does not like using  automatic box. If two boxes side by side is a problem, have you tried switching the boxes (the one in your room with the automatic one)? 

Last edited:

angel23456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So you have gone to the vet after Pumpkin started going outside the box? 

But it really looks like she does not like using  automatic box. If two boxes side by side is a problem, have you tried switching the boxes (the one in your room with the automatic one)? 
No, she's been doing it forever. She's fine. And she does use the litter box sometimes, as I said, and in any case the box isn't working correctly right now so it's not even really running at the moment, we're planning on getting another one soon. 
 I wouldn't switch the two boxes because my parents like the automatic ones for downstairs because it's easier for them (my dad cleans the one downstairs, I do the one upstairs)

Really, she's fine with the box, but for some reason this cat just likes to go on the floor as well!