Adult Cat Won't Use Lb

Morrighan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First Post folks!
So, my family adopted a spayed 3 yr old tabby girl about ten days ago. She's affectionate, but still a bit shy after having been abandoned curbside at our local shelter.
We initially found her urinating on a corner wall, leaving the LB unused and displaying reluctance to being placed in it. So, we began enclosing her in one room with her food, water and LB overnight. We have a thin layer of litter covered with newspaper strips as they did at the shelter to encourage her, but so far she will do her thang only on newspaper outside the LB, but not IN it.
Any best next steps to recommend?
Thanks,
~M.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet ASAP to be checked. A cat who avoids the litter box often associates it with pain, so it's possible she has a UTI or some other medical issue.

As I re-read your post, was she NOT using a box at the shelter? If that's the case, perhaps she needs to be 'introduced' to the LB? I think there is information on this site about that process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morrighan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response!

Morrighan, that's the cat's name btw, got a check up with good results right after we adopted her. We can't be sure, but her behavior seems to indicate she may have been mistreated at her last "home" (NOT the shelter, where newspaper covered the entire cage floor including a small litter pan). She seems to almost fear the LB, as if force had been used to get her to use one in the past.

Now, we of course are keeping everything strictly positive regarding lb use.

I am thinking our next steps including slowly reducing/eliminating the surrounding newspaper leaving her only the lb to use, then slowly transition from paper to litter.

Does that sound right, or are there any silver bullets out there I might be missing?

We appreciate your advice!
~M.