Adoption fees?

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelter where I got my cats charges $80 for kittens under 1 year, $70 for cats above one year, and for senior citizens, the rate is $60 (for any age cat)....this includes vaccinations, spay/neuter, flea treatment, etc. I have seen "buy one get one half off" deals on the page on certain pairs they want to get adopted together.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My humane society is 40 per kitty. Or if you go and look and they make you take the "BIG" dogs in then you can just have one, but they are all sickly right now! Went to look today and they all have runny icky eyes, noses & ect! Still 40 dollars I think is really cheap! (Id rather pay than take the big dogs in, any day)

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter that operates out of our local Petsmart (no permanent buildings, just lots of volunteers) just upped the price from 100 to 135 per cat, regardless of age. Testing, vetting, spaying/neutering, no chip, but lots of coupons.

The local animal shelter runs around 50 per pet, discount for seniors. No testing/vetting whatsoever. I was shocked as this is a progressive community, or so I thought.

The shelter in the next town over offers adults for 4 or 50, kittens and pups for 3 dollars each. No testing/vetting. They had a city sponsored Christmas village every year for the children, which includes an adoptable pet area full of cute puppies and kittens. Apparently the staff picks up cute kittens and pups from other shelters in the area. The pups/kittens were available on the 17th and go fast. My daughter and I were there at 4:30 AM so we could be first in line for the calicos - last year there were 35 people in line when the shelter opened. I think the 30 degree temperature held the numbers down that early. We signed a contract to provide proof of rabies and spaying by a certain date. Our vet gives us a free inital visit, though he does charge for the tests (and he isn't one of the cheaper vets).

4blueyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I quit volunteering with my group in 2002 so likly prices have gone up since then but back then it was $70 for any cat or kitten and 95 for any puppy or dog. This included shots and spaying and neutering and if anything had been wrong with them in the first place. They often did any 2 kitties for $100 or one special needs or older kitty for $50. I think once or twice they did 2 puppies for $150 but people didn't usually want 2 so it didn't matter. I think last time I checked, a different local group was doing $95 per kitty and $125 for dogs, so thats probably about the going rate around here. The pound does $35 with nothing included and pretty much no health gaurantee so I think its a good deal.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heyu was $100.
i do like the idea of discounts for special needs or older people.

Heck that is cat here i wish could take blind in one eye and missing a ear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Our current adoption fees are

$100 for cats under a year
$85 for cats between 1-4 years
$65 for all other cats
no twofers or specials on cats with problems.

Dogs are
$120 for hard to place puppies (black labs mostly)
$135 for most other puppies
$150 for small breed puppies and adults
$105 for adult dogs

All animals are spayed/neutered, UTD on age appropriate shots, microchipped, FELV/FIV/Heartworm tested, deflead, and wormed.
They also come with a care package that has nail clippers, toys, food, treats, blankets and beds.
If they get sick within the first two weeks we treat them free of charge. All animals also get a 25% discount at the vets we use for their whole life. I think thats pretty good.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We paid $125 for our new kitten, plus $19 for his microchip. He was neutered and had been dewormed and had most shots. He's worth every penny, I'd say!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours are all microchipped (including registration of chipping) / vaccinated / dewormed / speutered and vet checked included in our price.

Fostermomm, I love how your vets give people a discount, makes it much more likely that people will keep bringing their animals in for check ups and shots etc