Adopting Fostered Cats -- How Do They Adapt?

tbutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm considering adopting two cats from a foster home. One is a year old Maine Coon -- she is super friendly already. Another, however, is a ten month old domestic shorthair who seemed a bit shy, but stayed nearby and was very playful once I had a shoelace to play with him. My main question is about him: he has been with the foster home for virtually all of his life. How well do foster cats adjust to loosing their foster parents in such a situation? 

Also, I've never had a Maine Coon before, so if anyone has any input on her, I'd be happy to hear about that, too. So far, she doesn't look especially large and she is suppose to be a mix.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

A foster cat should adapt quite well to a knew home, especially a kitten, but either can do great, an older cat might need a little more time.  They will just need to learn new routines, a new home, gain trust and trust in you and all should be well.  The shyer kitten may need a little time warming up, but it sounds like it wouldn't take long, and good to start the kitten out in a small rom that he can adjust to before being shown the whole home.

Maine Coons are great cats.  Typically quite social, often large, a small predilection I believe to some types of heart disease but not so much that this should affect adopting.

In case things don't work out, make sure you understand what the foster home's return policy is, and what is or isn't covered medically at the time of adoption.

Good luck with it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcome, StephenQ. That's very encouraging -- I really liked these cats, but was a bit concerned. The Maine Coon reminded me in personality a lot of a Manx I've also recently met, but the Manx (whom I had asked about on the health forum here the other day) seems to have some sort of upper respiratory issue.

The shy cat makes me slightly nervous that he wouldn't get over his shyness, so your point about asking about return policies is a great idea. I'm somewhat spoiled by my last kitty, whom I lost this spring. He picked me out, so it was fairly easy to know how friendly he was going to be. But, this little shy guy had a neat personality that seemed worth taking the time to get to know.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well its great that your taking the time to make an educated decision.  Keep us updated and feel free to ask more questions! :-)

What part of the country are you in?  I'm in NYC.

tbutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live near St. Louis, MO. I'm sure there are even more pet rescue organizations in NYC, but I've been surprised how many are in my area. My previous two cats came from different pet stores that just had kittens for sale, so this has been a whole new world I've found myself learning about. 

I really appreciate your advice as I try to get things sorted out before adopting.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

tbutler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Arch is delightful -- I've never been up it after a snow storm, though. That sounds rather delightful! Do you work in theater, then?

I'm still trying to decide, but I think the two cats I mentioned above are going to come home. I went to see them again last night. The Maine Coon was as friendly as the first time and the two enjoyed playing with a shoe lace together (the Maine Coon kept taking it from the other little guy). The shorthair still was shy, but he didn't seem to object to me petting him while he attacked the shoe lace and he stayed nearby. I'm hoping I'm not talking myself into the shy one, especially since there are plenty of less shy cats around, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on that is intriguing about him.

Thanks for your help!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats that I adopted from the shelter.  They were all very friendly at the shelter and are still very lovey-dovey with me.  When a stranger comes to my house, Gadget is cautious but meows when the stranger says his name and he'll walk up for scritches.  Mason will run at first, then after a little while his curiosity gets the best of him and he'll circle the stranger but won't let stranger touch him.  Julie remains hidden, she isn't coming out.  I love them all and while I wish the other 2 were more friendly to strangers, I'm glad I picked them for the experiences that we have.