Adopting First Cat

JKDOS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about steph, but I am nearly ready. I just went to PetSmart yesterday and loaded my cart with everything I need to get started. I still need food and a carrier, but I will get those the same day/time I get a cat.

I will talk to my landlord today about signing the agreement to get permissions to have one in my apartment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup ^^ Tomorrow is my move in day and the following pay check after move in is my "cat check" and I have everything I need (2 litter boxes, scoop, dishes, carrier) I am only missing food and litter which I plan on getting when I get the cat so I get stuff that is similar to what they were already using and eating.

I just realized I am missing a scratching post lol I should be able to find one for cheapish to start my cat buddy with as a temporary solution while I save up for hopefully a cat tree (assuming the cat I get likes climbing, if I get a floor dweller, I'll get some cubbies or something for them)

I am very excited! Thank you everyone for the nice comments x3

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for choosing to adopt an adult from a shelter. There are so many of them and a lot of people just want the babies. I adopted my 4 1/2 year old last October--also a first cat--and am very happy. Since yours will be an only cat, you might consider one that the shelter feels needs to be an only pet. You can 'audit' the shelter sites to read about the cats up for adoption--read about their personalities a bit. And, then leave plenty of time to hang out in the shelter bonding room to see if you fit well with a cat. [And, take a copy of the lease or other paperwork that says you can have a pet--the shelter will want to see it.]

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've moved in, my land lords knows about me getting a cat and I have someone potentially bringing me a cat tomorrow. They messaged me (because of a different site) they have a male cat that is neutered, 3 years old. They need to get rid of said cat because they are moving (considering how things are out here, he is prolly going to a shelter in a few days if I don't decide to have him) anyway, sent me pictures. He looks healthy, maybe a tad bit over weight. They said he is shy at first but he likes to cuddle once he is comfortable and etc. (Which is what I would love to have from a car, a cuddle buddy when I'm home and etc) and im just wondering if i missed asking anything? Is it gonna be bad if I get this cat instead of a shelter bub? I asked all the other questions, bout personality, if he comes with stuff and he does (I am going to have so many cat bowls now lol) and just yeah. Help! Lol

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely nothing wrong with rehoming; this keeps him from sitting in a shelter cage and waiting. Have the litter ready in the box, food/water in dishes, and make sure he has some safe 'caves' to hide in if he wants them. And, give him time; he may need to adjust to everything. Prepare for every little noise to startle him as he learns his environment.

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okies all I have to do is the dishes and litter box. I just spent a few hours arranging my place and I have a little bed/nest spot set up for him. I plan on reusing some of my moving boxes to create some hidey holes and caves for him while he gets confortable. I also am planning on keeping him confined to just my room while I'm gonna, at work etc, so until I fully understand what kind of cat he is and also cause that is a place with a lot of my smell so maybe it will help him transition to suddenly living with me?

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first open his bag, he didn't jump right out and didn't seem scared at first. But as I was setting up some of his stuff I made him kind of uncomfortable so he jumped out and now he is hiding. I'm just sitting now and kind of talking at him.. not sure what else I can do to make it better for Joey.

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup i do! Very exciting lol I am treating him carefully since I know he is stressed and so far so good! He likes my attention if I am slow and such and has been doing little things like moving his head so I scratch the right spot x3 and I tried playing with him (I donno why but the idea struck me) and he definitely seemed interested in his toys but he didn't do any real playing. I had him laying with me for a bit just now but he deciding hiding under my bed was a better idea I guess lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it's going pretty well for his first day! Maybe he'll come out more tomorrow when you feed him. :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats! It sounds to me like things are going very well overall. Mine spent most of her first day with me in the closet, although she did emerge to play, so that can be a great way of getting a new kitty to come out of their shell.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine didn't hide while I was home. But, she was practically glued to me--followed me everywhere and cried when I'd close her out of the bathroom. I'd come home from work and find her hiding in various places, but she'd come out and follow me the minute I got home. Still pretty much wants to be in the same room as I am now about 6 months later. [Decided to draw the line and keep the bathroom private for myself--esp. since my sister's cat would lay down on the pants pooled at her feet when she was on the toilet.]