Adopting First Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He continues to hide under things today.. He has used the litter box and I gave him some wet food that he ate a tiny bit off. We had a nice long cuddle session (because I went and found him, brought him to a comfortable spot for me and laid down with him) he seemed to love all my attention but I did notice he seemed kind of cold, probably because I have hard wood floors. I ended up taking a accidental nap with him for a hour and a half. He kept doing this cute thing of nudging my hand to wake me up and asking for some head pets. I'd oblige while falling back to nap land. Once I finally decided to stop napping I got a call from a friend and while I was on the phone he rolled onto his back and stretched out lol he let me pet is belly and everything! But as soon as I got up to get some clothes on and came back to see if he was on my bed still, he wasnt. He had jumped off already and was backing hiding under my bed.. I really hope he will come out of his shell more eventaully. I would love to have him walking around the house and being comfortable...

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do feel like everything is going pretty well ^^ I just can't help stressing a little because he keeps hiding. And I am kinda worried about having to grab him from his hiding spots to give him attention, he seems to like being petted and he will relax with me but well yeah. I suppose I am just over thinking it all a bit lol I've only had him a bit over a day! Thanks for your replies guys ^^

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still unsure of himself in a new environment, but he already trusts you--cuddle time and belly presenting. He'll learn that his new place isn't so scary after all, just needs time. [I had luck with cat DVDs--I got the Mewvie, Backyard Buffet. I put it on and it loops/replays itself all day. The bird noises are soothing and the critters on the screen give a distraction.]

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! It sounds like you’re off to great start, and he trust you already! He’s probably still scared of his new surroundings, our kitten was like this, so bad that she would pee in her bed to avoid going out to use the box. We started blocking “the unders” and giving her lots of cat places to hide, and now she uses those instead of hiding under the bed. It’s great, we realized that she was terrified of noises because she couldn’t see what was making them, now that she’s out with us she can see it’s the stove, pots pans etc and isn’t scared anymore. We finally started closing the bedroom door so she had to stay in the front rooms, and she can use her house if she needs to. She is even warming up to guests now! These videos are so helpful, you’ll find lots on his channel! Keep up the good work!!

steph1331

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i did try covering up my unders and it didn't work so well lol as soon as i left my room for five minutes he well knocked it all over and went under my bed (it's what I get for just cutting some card board pieces and trying to just do hickey them to stand up and make it look like it wasn't possible to get under the bed even tho the card board could fall over easy) but we still had some pretty awesome progress. I had a friend come over today and after extracting him from under my bed, we went to the living room while my friend petted my cat and just had him on her lap. He seemed tense at first but calmed down quickly and definitely seemed to like my friend a little bit at least lol so we chit chatted while he got attention. He handled us being loud a little bit pretty well so made me feel good. Then when we left to do some running around, I returned him to my room and put him on my bed, anticipating him to go back under my bed. However as soon as i got back we ended up finding him cuddled under some of my blankets and pillows on my bed! I was so happy lol anyway, we returned to the living room, chit chatting and giving him attention. And eventually he jumped onto the floor and explored a little bit! Which really surprised me, i assumed he would want to hide. I noticed a bit earlier that some noises my neighbors make is what startles him most into hiding. But considering how today has gone I think we are on the right track to have a comfortable cat in my place ^^ also i am gonna slap some pictures on to this post to finally show him off a bit!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a very handsome boy. :catlove: It certainly sounds like he's getting more comfortable in your house. :heartshape:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful progress. Thanks for the pics, he looks like such a good sweet boy. :redheartpump: :)