Adopting companion animals- True "rules"

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this a long time ago and shared it, but stumbled across it again so I thought I would share it again- so true about adopting a cat (or any companion animal!)

The author of the following is unknown. Read this from the perspective of a companion animal.
  • My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you bring me home.
  • Give me time to understand what you want from me, you are a stranger until I get to know you.
  • Place your trust in me - it's crucial to my well-being.
  • Don't be angry at me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You may have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
  • Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice and know you care
  • Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget, whether it is good or bad.
  • Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that can crush the bones of your hand. Yet I choose not to bite you.
  • Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, or I've been in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
  • Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old, I would do it for you.
  • Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember I love you.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, this is lovely.

Something almost identical is on the wall of our Animal Welfare League as a poster and people often comment.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So true. I've never seen that before, so thank you for sharing it again.