adopting an 11 yr old male tabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got him home about 8:00 last night, he's still a little spooked. We've got him secluded in our bedroom and master bath right now, last night it was just the bathroom because everyone else sleeps with us.

He's very defensive still. Apparently one other person adopted him and Sebastian wasn't given even 24 hours to adjust, he hissed at the man and the guy told the original owner to come and get him

He's hissing and growling at us a little, but it's all show. When I went in to use the facilities a little while ago the big softie came out and head butted me, asked for a little bit of petting played with the new mousie we bought him and then went back and hid in the kennel we gave him for a cave.

I think he'll come around in time. He's a little underweight because he was low man on the totem pole when it came to food with the other two he used to live with so we'll get him fattened up and healthy again.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get batteries for my camera...darn thing eats them like candy!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, poor guy - and how sad that he didn't even get 24 hours at the one place to settle in - but sounds like he knows things are looking up! Hope things went well today!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It warms my heart to know that you have the knowledge that will help your senior boy adjust to his forever home.

Congratulations

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badgeygirl

We got him home about 8:00 last night, he's still a little spooked. We've got him secluded in our bedroom and master bath right now, last night it was just the bathroom because everyone else sleeps with us.

He's very defensive still. Apparently one other person adopted him and Sebastian wasn't given even 24 hours to adjust, he hissed at the man and the guy told the original owner to come and get him

He's hissing and growling at us a little, but it's all show. When I went in to use the facilities a little while ago the big softie came out and head butted me, asked for a little bit of petting played with the new mousie we bought him and then went back and hid in the kennel we gave him for a cave.

I think he'll come around in time. He's a little underweight because he was low man on the totem pole when it came to food with the other two he used to live with so we'll get him fattened up and healthy again.

I'll get pics up as soon as I get batteries for my camera...darn thing eats them like candy!!
YAY, I'm so glad he headbutted you, he knows this is the best thing for him
Bless his heart

When we adopted Mario, he was 9, I flew to Virginia and brought him home on a plane, he was an only cat and came here to live with 5 others. Anyway he would slap me, HARD too
and he would hiss, I was wondering if he would ever adjust, I thought he just wasn't happy, he's used to being number 1 you know. He finally came around and it's like he's always been here

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Get a couple sets of rechargeables - keep one set plugged in a charger and one set in the camera. Then switch back and forth. Works great for us - they last for more than a year.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We plan on getting some rechargeables, but I have to wait till my paychecks are good. I am one of the lucky ones that's going to get an IOU from the great state of California....yippee!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We plan on getting some rechargeables, but I have to wait till my paychecks are good. I am one of the lucky ones that's going to get an IOU from the great state of California....yippee!!
OMG you're kidding - you work and they dont pay you? That's terrible.

regarding the batteries...I have a camera that does that - i take the batteries out in between uses, which helps a lot.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OMG you're kidding - you work and they dont pay you? That's terrible.

regarding the batteries...I have a camera that does that - i take the batteries out in between uses, which helps a lot.
This no pay thing is new, because the California politicians can't seem to agree on a budget. I can opt not to work, but all that does is leave my elderly clients without help and it's not their fault.

Got batteries, but 'Bastian is being shy tonight, it's pretty hot and he's hiding in his cool crate and won't come out. I've got tomorrow off, I'll try again in the morning, he's the most friendly in the AM right now.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Got batteries, but 'Bastian is being shy tonight, it's pretty hot and he's hiding in his cool crate and won't come out. I've got tomorrow off, I'll try again in the morning, he's the most friendly in the AM right now.
Bastian is a really cool name.

With patience and time, your boy will learn to trust.
He is a very lucky kitty to be in your life.