Adopting after loss: how soon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This thread has been so helpful, thank you all! I have an update:

Today, the stars aligned. A good friend put me in touch with a family who are currently fostering a litter of five 5-week-old kittens. After a few long conversations (and a lot of photos and videos!) I've decided to adopt two of their sweethearts.

In two weeks, I will be meeting the whole litter for the first time - and in five to six weeks, I will open my home and heart to two new loves.

The foster family are monitoring them closely to look out for bonds (or "alliances" [emoji]128521[/emoji]) and we'll be sure not to split up any buddies!

My heart is still aching for my Louise, and I know it always will. I know, though, that right alongside that ache I can also love and nurture another. She certainly wouldn't want me to horde my affection in her absence [emoji]128522[/emoji]

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those kittens are beautiful. I'm glad this has happened for you. Don't come home with the 5!!!!.
Once you have your new babies post lots of photos.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This thread has been so helpful, thank you all! I have an update:

Today, the stars aligned. A good friend put me in touch with a family who are currently fostering a litter of five 5-week-old kittens. After a few long conversations (and a lot of photos and videos!) I've decided to adopt two of their sweethearts.

In two weeks, I will be meeting the whole litter for the first time - and in five to six weeks, I will open my home and heart to two new loves.

The foster family are monitoring them closely to look out for bonds (or "alliances" [emoji]128521[/emoji]) and we'll be sure not to split up any buddies!

My heart is still aching for my Louise, and I know it always will. I know, though, that right alongside that ache I can also love and nurture another. She certainly wouldn't want me to horde my affection in her absence [emoji]128522[/emoji]
How sweet. :heart2:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my how wonderful!

Time to start a new thread, for the new arrivals, lol.

That is a sweet pic of mum and kittens!

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I smile a bit more every day when I go through the endless photos of my Louise. The tears still come, and waking up without her by my side makes my heart ache. I know it always will.

The growing joy I feel knowing I will nurture and care for these new sweet babies sits right alongside that pain - it doesn't lessen the heartbreak, but it feels like it strengthens the emotional capacity of my heart.

I hope those flowery words make some sense to those who have been in my shoes! The heart really is an incredible thing.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't listen to Verna !  Take them all !  Free cats !  Free cats !

What cute kitties.

[emoji]128514[/emoji] It sure is hard not to scoop them all up! I'm in close touch with their foster family, and I'm very happy to report that they've all found loving homes!

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know which two you are having?.
Not yet. Their foster family is keeping an eye out for personality development and any "alliances" between the kittens :)

I really love the work and care they are putting in to be sure the kittens find the "right" homes. They are all spoken for, but none of the "forever parents" have been promised any one in particular just yet.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's good. It sounds as if you will have well socialized happy kittens. Post photos as soon as you have them.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
So glad you will get your own fuzzy friends!

For me it was anywhere from the same day to a couple of months. Back when I lost my first cat-I adopted the same day she was laid to rest..I went to the shelter and met Floey. My angle Floey. Was such a brat. Spit n hiss but she let me pick her up and drape her over my lap. We sat like that for 20 minutes. She purred and enjoyed me petting her. Then I fed her. Gave her water. She ate and drank. Then they brought me a toy and she nearly sheared off my fingers and I said I want her. I didn't want a docile shy kitty. I wanted a strong willed kitty that doesn't mind play and follows me around. We had a lovely 15 years together. I never regretted getting her. She comforted me during my grief of Krash's passing.

In 2012 I lost one of my youngest cats Flash. Honeybee came along 3 months later. She was a kitty who needed a home..and it just worked out. Honeybee is my avatar. I remember holding Honeybee in my arms feeling guilty for loving another so soon but then Honeybee purred and made biscuits on me as I was grieving Flash's passing..and I realized I have plenty of room in my heart for more loves. So yes you may ask yourself what are you doing? But I guarantee you they will know how to sooth you. They just know. They sense things most people don't pay attention to either.

Gather those babies close and love them with all your heart and at the same time you may feel grieving for your lost baby but you will find that it entwines together and all will be well.

Thank you for not giving up.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
      Double congratulations! 
  Can't wait for you to bring your two new babies home and see pics.  All the best of luck. 

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even if they find you over the internet an hour away by car.
IndyJones, you must have had ESP! We found them through a friend on the internet, and drove exactly an hour to pick them up ;)

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2611.JPG
I'll post in a new thread as well, but I'm happy to report that we brought home two sweet sisters yesterday :) Rescued from a litter through a wonderful family who just couldn't hang onto all 5 (as hard as it was to say no!). Say hello to Freddie and Volta!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Freddie and Volta. You are beautiful and sounds as if you will have a lovely life. Dananab enjoy them and keep the photos coming.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful little babies! They will bring you so much joy! I didn't realize how sad I had become after losing a cat and a dog since September...until I adopted a new kitten in February. Now I laugh every day.

Congratulations! They're adorable! :cloud9:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new additions to the family, Freddie and Volta! :clap::clap::clap::clap:May they bring you tons of joy!

There's no "right" or "wrong" time to adopt after a loss, as it's different for everybody. I call Mowgli my feline grief counselor, since we got him eight days after losing our Jamie, and he did so much to help me through the grief.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! It's amazing how my heart can feel sadness and joy all at once :)

These sweeties will never replace my Lou, and I would never want them to! I'm so excited to get to know these kittens. Such personalities they already have!