Adopting Abandoned Kittens

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet I see and the TNR clinic I went to both have the 4 month minimum time line and they don't charge extra if the female is in heat when the spaying is done.

dad2many

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again Paiger816,

The best you can hope for from neutering is less aggression and the absence of territorial spraying and wandering.  A more relaxed, friendly male that gets along with others is icing on the cake.

The best from spaying is of course no kittens and an even temperament, not necessarily better.  Again, a more relaxed, even tempered female will usually gain confidence quickly 

and that's icing on the cake.  Although not so much for her brother, cuz she'll rule the roost most likely.  lol   You will be the main factor in their post operative dispositions.

You may want to keep them in different rooms or at least out of sight from each other post op.  A cats stress level can go thru the roof if it feels vulnerable and other cats are around to take advantage.

I'm hope your vet talks with you about post op in detail,  if not, ask.

Oh, they usually won't appear to have any pain, don't believe it.  Hopefully the vet gives them a long lasting pain med injection and gives you for each cat a couple of sub-lingual Buprinorphine syringes or the like.  If not......ask.

Wishing the best to the three of you.

dad2many

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hello again Paiger816,

The best you can hope for from neutering is less aggression and the absence of territorial spraying and wandering.  A more relaxed, friendly male that gets along with others is icing on the cake.

The best from spaying is of course no kittens and an even temperament, not necessarily better.  Again, a more relaxed, even tempered female will usually gain confidence quickly 

and that's icing on the cake.  Although not so much for her brother, cuz she'll rule the roost most likely.  lol   You will be the main factor in their post operative dispositions.

You may want to keep them in different rooms or at least out of sight from each other post op.  A cats stress level can go thru the roof if it feels vulnerable and other cats are around to take advantage.

I'm hope your vet talks with you about post op in detail,  if not, ask.

Oh, they usually won't appear to have any pain, don't believe it.  Hopefully the vet gives them a long lasting pain med injection and gives you for each cat a couple of sub-lingual Buprinorphine syringes or the like.  If not......ask.

Wishing the best to the three of you.

dad2many
You give great advice!

However I have one thing I feel differently about in your post, and that is separating them from each other after their s/n's.

This is because they are going to have vet/medicinal scents, and too often will growl and carry on when they smell the other's scent, as something to fear.

Keeping them together is best for getting them over this.

If they come back and show aggression/fear of each other, you can do a few things. Use a fabric softener sheet and swipe it on both, or use baby wipes on both, then wipe them with a worn clothing item of yours, or each of the cats, like bedding or something they lay on.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Use a fabric softener sheet and swipe it on both
Are you sure that's safe, that the fabric softener sheet doesn't contain anything toxic that they might ingest while grooming?

Personally I would use a plain towel and rub both of them with it. I've also read that putting a drop of vanilla extract near the base of the tail will help to hide other scents.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are good suggestions too.

I wouldn't worry about a fab soft sheet being toxic since it's safe for babies, etc 

Worked out fine for me, but to each his own :)

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you mean it's safe to give a baby a fabric softener sheet? Or that it's safe to use a fabric softener sheet with their laundry?

There's a difference. The sheet contains concentrated chemicals. The clothing articles get only a tiny fraction of those chemicals.

Laundry detergent is also generally safe to use for washing clothes, but you wouldn't put detergent in the cat's food.

Last edited:

dad2many

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catwoman707,

Thank you very much.

We had four males in at one time and they were together post op.  No problems at all, but they were brothers from the same litter.

I felt I needed to separate a brother sister combo due to the male getting a bit edgy.  It may not have been necessary but I wasn't

able to keep an eye on them constantly,  separation was the only alternative.  36 hours later they were together as before. 

I agree with you, If she can keep an eye on them full time for the first 24 hrs they are best kept together.  In all things including this.

If the vet is sharp, or the clinic has observant techs, they should be able to tell her how they've been together,  post op to the time

she picks them up.,other than "groggie."  

Thanks again for the kind words.

dad2many

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you mean it's safe to give a baby a fabric softener sheet? Or that it's safe to use a fabric softener sheet with their laundry?

There's a difference. The sheet contains concentrated chemicals. The clothing articles get only a tiny fraction of those chemicals.

Laundry detergent is also generally safe to use for washing clothes, but you wouldn't put detergent in the cat's food.
Guess I need to watch what I say! Geez. I don't mean saturate the cat, 2 swipes is what I meant. Done it 100 times. 

Just a distraction from the vet smell.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

most vets around here also don't spay or neuter until 5 to 6 months of age. 

That's rediculous...............it doesn't even make sense!
We have a spay/neuter clinic in Birmingham (Alabama) and if I'm not mistaken they will s/n as early as 4 months as long as the kitten weighs 3 lbs. If not they won't do it until it is 6 months old. We had that problem with my daughter's kitten. She is a year and a half and still don't weigh that much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paiger816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most places in Iowa will S/N at 8 weeks. All of our Animal Rescue League/ASPCA places fix cats at 8 weeks always. I'm surprised they're giving me these cats intact at 5 months, but private rescues have their own rules. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paiger816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get them tomorrow afternoon! I can't wait! I'm just getting their "room" all set up and ready now. :)