Adopting a Siberian at 10 weeks, is this too early?

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been counting down the arrival of my female Siberian and am now down to 5 more days but I happen to read for the first time that kittens are best adopted at 12 weeks, and she will be only 10 weeks.  Am I making a mistake to pick her up at 10 weeks? I believe her other siblings are also going at 10 weeks.   We don't have any other pets and will be working for 6 more weeks until summer when we'll be able to spend days with her all summer long.  I am pretty sure the breeder will let me keep her there 2 more weeks but we are just all so excited and have everything all ready.  Like I said, just now I read that 12 weeks is best... convince me to wait or tell me I'm fine.  I just want to hear some thoughts!  I'm so sad that I might have to wait but I understand it can be worth it.

Bonnie

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Since it doesn't sound like you will be able to spend much time with her initially, letting her stay for an extra 2 weeks wouldn't hurt (assuming she will still get to interact with the momma cat, others in the house.)

I definitely wouldn't say it would be detrimental for her to come to you at 10 weeks. There are plenty of kittens that are go to homes before that. But, a little extra social time definitely would be bad either.

chips

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read that the general timeframe for kittens to come home is 12-14 weeks old, however some breeders do as early as 10 weeks old :)

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brought Mosi home at 10 weeks. She adjusted well and didn't seem to miss her siblings or mama.
My breeder socializes the litter as soon possible after weaning. This means they get to leave the nursery, meet all the adult female cats, and follow her around the house. The breeder even let all the kittens sleep with her and her husband! She told me exactly where and how Mosi slept when I picked her up. Took me quite a while to break the habit of her sleeping on my head!

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard 10-12 weeks as minimum age for seperation (unless circumstances make that impossible). So I figure 12 weeks is best, but 10 weeks is still okay. Younger than that, and it could be detrimental to the kitten. I think she'll probably be fine if you bring her home at 10 weeks.

Whatever you decide, your kitty is much better off than kittens who are separated at 6-8 weeks, which many people still think is okay.