Adopting a Second Cat?

picat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I've been considering adding a second cat to my home for a while now.  This fall I am starting a full time graduate assistantship position at my university and I know I will be busy and not be able to spend as much time with Pi.  Even now in the summer I find myself away from the house for most of the day many days, and I worry about her being lonely.  Am I right in thinking that another cat would be good company for her?

Summer seems like the perfect time to do it, since I won't be as busy as I am during the school year and will have more time to spend introducing them.  I'm just a little worried that I'll offend Pi by bringing in another cat.  I've had her since she was just a little baby, and she's going to be 2 this October.  She's never been around other cats since I've had her, though she tolerates my parent's dogs.  Pi is very sweet and playful and loves to be around me, though she doesn't usually want to sit with me - usually just be in the same room hanging out.  I have no idea how she would react to another cat.

Anyway, as I said I've been thinking about this for a while now and just the other day my boyfriend told me that the local shelter was having a free adopt day - tomorrow!  I feel like this could be some kind of fate, perfect timing thing, but at the same time I am wishy-washy and horrible at making decisions!  It's kind of short notice...  But, I am really leaning towards going out tomorrow and seeing what cats are there.  I am nervous but also excited and kind of really want to do this.

I just have some questions I wanted to ask you all since you are much more cat expert-y than I am...

-Does sex matter?  I've read that girls are more likely to fight, so maybe a boy would be a better fit?  Or is it more personality?

-I live in a small apartment, and the only safe room I could provide for a new cat would be the bathroom.  If I set it up with a litter box, bed, food/water, toys, etc, would that be ok?

-What are some of the best tips/tricks/techniques for introducing cats (especially when one of them has never been around other cats before)?

-How much more expensive do cats become when you add a second one?  I feel like it wouldn't be a huge increase, but just wondering about your experience.

I think that's it.  Like I said, this is happening tomorrow, so any responses I can get in such a short time frame are appreciated!  :) 

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think it depends on the personality and how the cats get along. In my opinion, sex doesn't matter. But I haven't ever had 2 females together.. I have a male & a female (Miagi a tabby & Angel a Russian Blue) that do ok together, but they're not best pals. Tiger who passed away in February was my female's best friend. He accepted her right away. So really, I think it depends on the cat's personality and how they get along with other cats more than sex.

The bathroom should be fine as long as the cat gets what he/she needs. Just place the food and water away from the litter box as cats don't like to eat by their "toilet".

With me only having 3 cats in my life.. I don't have much experience with introducing them so hopefully someone can give you better advice on that!

On the expense part, I think it's pretty much the same... of course you'd have another vet bill, the food especially canned will increase but not much it depends how much the new cat eats if he/she eats more or the same since other cats seem to eat more than others, plus you'd have to add another litter box or 2, get more toys, etc. I wish you luck with finding a new kitty, just take it slow on introductions and it should be fine. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

-Does sex matter?  I've read that girls are more likely to fight, so maybe a boy would be a better fit?  Or is it more personality?
I don't think it matters. Talk to the shelter employees about your current cat's personality and habits and let them pick a few cats who might be a good fit.

Sometimes the opposite gender works out best. I wanted a second male but the rescue worker persuaded me to get a female because females tend to be calmer and not pick fights.

-I live in a small apartment, and the only safe room I could provide for a new cat would be the bathroom.  If I set it up with a litter box, bed, food/water, toys, etc, would that be ok?
That would be fine. Just cat-proof the bathroom: toilet lid down, household cleaners put away in a closet (some cats can pry open under sink cabinet doors), put all medicines (prescription and OTC) locked up in your bedroom, hair dryers / curlers / etc put away, etc.

If the bathroom doesn't have a window, keep a night light on so the cat isn't in complete darkness. If you have a radio, put it in the bathroom and tune it to a news station (NPR is good and generic) or radio station (probably not to heavy metal / rock / etc type music though
Maybe soothing classic or Top 40 type music) on a low volume. I suggest a radio that uses batteries as opposed to one that needs to be plugged in. Some cats may chew on electrical cords.

If there is a window, you can open the window a few inches to let air in but keep the cat from getting outside. Tie up any blind or shade cords to keep the cat from playing with it.

-What are some of the best tips/tricks/techniques for introducing cats (especially when one of them has never been around other cats before)?
The cats will probably sniff at each under through the gap under the bathroom door. There may be some hissing and growling even though they can't see each other. This is normal.

When I adopted my second cat I didn't have a problem at all with introductions. My Aby wanted to play as soon as I let my new cat out of the carrier. The new cat hissed so I put her into the bathroom, much to the disappointment of my Aby. I kept her in the bathroom for a few days, only letting her out when I was at home. The new cat hissed and swiped at my Aby a few times (who wouldn't? He's an annoying PITA with way too much energy
) but otherwise the cats got along just fine.

I'm not sure how to best introduce cats who are more difficult. There are tips here: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

-How much more expensive do cats become when you add a second one?  I feel like it wouldn't be a huge increase, but just wondering about your experience.
Adding a second cat didn't cause any noticeable difference in cost other than needing to buy food more often and the yearly vet check up is twice as much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

picat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!  Shelter had actually adopted out all their cats that day, so that was awesome news!  :)

However, I did end up getting a kitten from my boyfriend's mom.  It's a little manx, still don't have a name for her, but we just brought her home tonight.  Pi took one look and hissed and ran away.  She's been sulking since. 

I set up the kitten in the secured bathroom, and she seems fine - curious, looking around and wanting to play!  The only odd thing is that she's taken to laying in her litter box... I think maybe because I just brought the box of litter in from the car so it's nice and warm.  I do have a little bed set up for her as well.  She tried to stick her paws under the door when Pi was close by, and Pi hissed and ran away again.  I'm hoping Pi will get used to her.  I think it will just take some time since Pi has never lived with another cat. 

Any tips on successful introduction would be greatly appreciated.  I'm thinking about keeping them completely separated for the time being, but I do want them to get used to each other of course!

picat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, thought I should do an update.

Things seem to be getting better already!  Pi is still very wary of Margot, and hisses sometimes hisses at her through the door.  I did the feeding on either side of the door, even bought some really special wet food for Pi to entice her, and it seemed to work, though it took Pi a while before she was calm enough to eat.  BUT this evening when I got home I decided to let them see each other.  I know, not always best to do it right away, but they seemed calmer and I thought I should give it a shot.  I brought Margot out in a carrier and sat her on the floor of my room.  Pi watched her from a distance but no hissing or growling, just cautious watching.

Pi went under the bed and pulled out one of her favorite toys and actually got her to play a little with me.  Which was great because she wasn't solely focused on Margot and relaxed enough to play!  Then I took Margot out of the carrier and had her play near me.  Pi continued to watch from under the bed, and play (though I think this would have been easier with another person and will try it next time when the boyfriend is around) and there was still no hissing or growling.  It continued very well until Margot dashed like she was going under the bed.  Pi hissed quite loudly (only once though) and Margot fluffed up and backed off.  I pulled Margot away and had her sit with me.  At that point Pi came out and sniffed around the carrier and the bathroom (where Margot is staying) but did not hiss any more.

When they were both calm again I put Margot away and praised both of them. 

Overall I think it went really well for a first day!  Hopefully we will continue on a positive path like this.  :)

One other thing, I noticed that Margot seems to have a few fleas... ugh!  I am worried that they will transfer to Pi and then I'll have an infestation on my hands!  What treatments/preventatives do you all recommend?  I need something that is ok for a 2 month kitten and an adult cat, edible or topical treatment is fine.  And I probably should get some kind of furniture spray to kill anything that might have gotten on the bed or couch (thankfully I have an all tile apartment, so don't have to worry about them nesting in carpet!).

einzmer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advantage 2, Frontline Plus or Revolution are the safer topical treatments and the only ones I would use. I think Advantage 2 has a kitten formula and an adult cat formula so you'd need 2 different types for both your cats. Frontline Plus is the same for both kittens and cats. You need to go to a vet for Revolution.

picat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, thanks for the suggestions!  I'm taking her to the vet this week so I'll get their opinion too.  :)

Things are progressing quite well I think.  I had both of them playing on the bed today with the ends of the same ribbon.  Pi only hissed three times, and only ran off after the third time, but she did come back to play more.  She has also taken to sitting by the bathroom door when Margot is in there and listening, but not hissing, and she even stuck her paws under to investigate earlier.  I think she is still a little nervous but becoming curious and friendly. 

Now, a problem is that at night Margot cries a lot. :(  I feel awful because I can hear her since the bathroom is attached to my bedroom, but I don't want to let her out yet and upset Pi and ruin our progress.  Suggestions?  At what point did you let the new cat sleep in the same room as the first cat?

picat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello once again, I would really appreciate some replies if anyone takes the time to read this. :)

Pi and Margot seem to be getting along better every day!  Today they spent time together in the house and even played together!  Some time with the toys but a few times they chased each other around.  Now, I'm worried about this a little - Pi would follow around Margot and run after her, but as soon as Margot turned around or acted like she wanted to play with Pi, Pi would run away!  And then Margot chases her.  They are not hissing (the only time Pi hissed today was when Margot tried to get in her space while she was resting in the window seat) but I'm worried that maybe Pi isn't playing and is distressed?  I just can't tell because her demeanor seems playful but she also seems scared when Margot wants to really play.  But no hissing, no fluffing up, and even now, she's sitting right by the bathroom door watching for Margot to stick her paws under, and sticking her paws under as well.  Is she just a little shy and unsure still, and do you think she will be ok?  Or is she letting Margot be the dominant cat and setting up for her to be aggressive or dominant when she gets older?

Overall it seems to be going very well and I'm so happy with the progress.  They can eat next to eachother no problem, the playing together and just being totally relaxed when in the same room makes me feel like it will work out, just have a few worries. 

Also if anyone can chime in on when I can let them sleep in the same room, that would be great!  I'd like to let them both sleep in my bed, but I don't want to do it too early and worry Pi.  Thanks!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are just playing chase or tag.  My cats do this all the time.  I think it's cute the way they take turns.

zellie1021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello once again, I would really appreciate some replies if anyone takes the time to read this. :)

Pi and Margot seem to be getting along better every day!  Today they spent time together in the house and even played together!  Some time with the toys but a few times they chased each other around.  Now, I'm worried about this a little - Pi would follow around Margot and run after her, but as soon as Margot turned around or acted like she wanted to play with Pi, Pi would run away!  And then Margot chases her.  They are not hissing (the only time Pi hissed today was when Margot tried to get in her space while she was resting in the window seat) but I'm worried that maybe Pi isn't playing and is distressed?  I just can't tell because her demeanor seems playful but she also seems scared when Margot wants to really play.  But no hissing, no fluffing up, and even now, she's sitting right by the bathroom door watching for Margot to stick her paws under, and sticking her paws under as well.  Is she just a little shy and unsure still, and do you think she will be ok?  Or is she letting Margot be the dominant cat and setting up for her to be aggressive or dominant when she gets older?

Overall it seems to be going very well and I'm so happy with the progress.  They can eat next to eachother no problem, the playing together and just being totally relaxed when in the same room makes me feel like it will work out, just have a few worries. 

Also if anyone can chime in on when I can let them sleep in the same room, that would be great!  I'd like to let them both sleep in my bed, but I don't want to do it too early and worry Pi.  Thanks!
I agree. I think they are just playing. My Ellie and Zander would play like that at first. Ellie is about 3 month and Zander is about 2 months old. She never really hissed at him but she was very cautious. I think you could start letting them sleep together once you notice them laying around together in the living room while they are playing etc. at first all Ellie wanted to do was play and chase Zander and I think it kinda annoyed him bc sometimes he wanted to rest. Now Ellie and him lay down on the couch and cuddle all the time. I am still putting him in the laundry room though because he peed on my bed the other day! He's pretty young still and I think he just forgot where his box was. Lol but I think once you notice them being calm together they would be fine to sleep together.