Adopting a kitten with juvenile gingivitis, history of upper respiratory tract and ocular infection

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I've been looking to adopt for a while and even though I met few cats that I was interested in, none of them felt "right". Today, I met this little 5 month old guy (the sweetest little guy!) and he has quite a medical history - juvenile gingivitis, and a history of prolonged "cat cold" and associated eye infections. He seems fine now, but the rescue is recommending that he's adopted as the only cat because he may have flare ups and be contagious to other cats. I was actually looking for a single cat but never felt good about adopting one until this one, which actually has to be "the only child". But that medical history is a bit overwhelming. I mean the cat cold and associated eye infection are viral, may be precipitated by stress, and being viral nothing really can be really done about it. But the juvenile gingivitis is quite an issue based on what I've been reading. I just can't imaging brushing his teeth everyday (though who knows how he reacts to it), in which case there's a chance that he may have to have his teeth pulled at a young age! Has anyone had any experience with juvenile gingivitis and also the chronic cat cold/eye infections? Are there things I should be thinking about before adopting him? Thank you in advance for any contributions of your knowledge and experience!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What has been communicated to me about the juvenile gingivitis is that his teeth my require a cleaning under general anesthesia every 3-6 months until 2 years of age, or beyond. This seems very stressful to put him through especially given the risk of flare ups due to his history of persistent "cat cold" and associated eye infections. I'm quite concerned, though I know there is really no way of knowing how these conditions will progress or not in his case. Poor little guy!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
His chances of getting adopter are against him. He will do fine as an only cat, lots of people only have 1 cat and its absolutly fine.

In face most cat owners I know only have a single cat.

Given his history his chances of adoption are small. If you are prepaired to give him a home and can afford his bills go for it. Im not guilt tripping you but he does have a high chance of being put down.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are a couple threads about juvenile gingivitis:

As far as the "cat cold", did the vet say it was feline herpes virus. Sounds like it, and it's very common. Many people add L-Lysine to their cats diets to help with it, and some people also add Lactoferrin. If they are having an outbreak, sometimes antibiotics actually help because there can be a bacterial secondary infection.

For the teeth and gum, many cats also have to have their teeth pulled for whatever reason. One of my guys has very few teeth left...he has his fangs and his lower front teeth, and maybe one molar on one side and one on the other. Nothing that would allow for real chewing. Given that, he has no issue eating whatever, wet or dry.

In your case, the only issue I can think of is to make sure you have a fund set up for him for dental expenses, as his will probably be a little more than normal. So if you can afford it, and you have fallen in love with the little guy, go for it :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow! Thank you @ mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens for these helpful links! I had no idea juvenile gingivitis was genetic and could progress so fast even when people are brushing their cats' teeth with enzymatic toothpaste. That's an eye opener. But also what others there had said about cats adapting well and living quality lives with no teeth! I guess I better do a search for a veterinary dentist in my area!