Adopting a cat?!

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thinking about adopting a cat..Any issues adopting a declawed cat? Also, if we get a kitten or young cat, I would never want to declaw after reading all the info, so is it possible to have a cat without it destroying my furniture? Also, we almost adopted sisters cat, but gave it back after a day as we felt bad keeping it from its sister..But I must say Im worried about the hair! I brushed the cat 5 x and hair was everywhere..Only had her a day..But maybe she was very stressed???.She did seem scared...Even after a huge house cleaning, her hair was everywhere...Thats a big concern, we only had her a day..Is it possible to keep a nice clean home, or to train the cat to stay off my fancy living room furniture?....I dont mind the other furniture as much..Thanks!!! Just trying to get all the answers I can to be ready..I did have a cat growing up that we declawed..back in the 90's and I dont remember much I was a teenager then..I appreciate any help...I am married, and we have a 5 yr old daughter...She is an only child...

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
issues of a declawed can vary but some include problems with litter, you might have to find a kind that is soft enough that doesn't hurt their feet. and it may sound odd, but scratching furniture could be an issue too. I had a male cat who scratched walls and made his pads so callused that when he scratched furniture, he tore it up so I recommended scratching posts for any cat (declawed or with claws) by the furniture so they go for those and not the couch or whatever. as for shedding, I have 2 black cats and light carpeting, I vacuum once a week and use some lint rollers for my furniture. if you want to cut down on shedding, I use a furminator once a week, does a good job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Yes, I heard the furminator does great..I would buy that...I am very detailed, so I would give the cat the greatest care...Good to know that a cat scratch would still be worth buying......

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The shedding is something you can't totally predict. Some cats just shed more than others, and it doesn't have anything to do with the length of the hair. I have 7 shorthair cats. One of them does about 85% of the shedding in my house, another about 10%, and the other 5 together the last 5%. I've also fostered long-haired cats who barely shed at all.

The people who have been taking care of the cat should be able to tell you how much it sheds, whether you're getting kitty from a shelter or from friends. They do tend to shed more when they are stressed or scared, so that could have been part of the shedding issue with the kitty you had for just one day. One of my cats drops about half of her fur on the exam table every time I take her to the vet.

Also, a high-quality diet can drastically reduce shedding. There are people here who will recommend a raw diet or all wet food, but if you don't want to go that direction, for whatever reason, there are high quality grain-free dry foods that can help with overall health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice....I was totally unaware different cats can shed more then others....I guess the best thing to do is to handle the cats when we are looking....I think Im leaning toward a declawed middle age cat...Not that I believe in declawing, but since its already done, as a new cat owner, maybe it would be easier for us.....I dont have a problem giving wet food...? Would love to know a few high qulaity wet foods...I already favorited some cat furniture, and looking at the Modko Litterbox....I know its pricey, but many great reviews about reducing track litter...

Last edited:

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
goldycat mentioned feeding it a high quality raw diet, canned food or grain free dry. well I searched the web and Wysong has pretty much all 3, in case you want to try any or all of those options.