Adopting a cat after FIP

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to put our 8 month old sweet angel down last night due to FIP. I talked to my vet today to ask when he thought a safe time would be to get another cat for my remaining kitten, who really needs a companion. He said 6 months 😥. Our vet said he isn’t worried about FIP since it can’t be spread from cat to cat, but FeCov could (most cats in shelters have been exposed to FeCov but 5-10% have it mutate to FIP.) Our little guy definitely had FeCov and there is a very good chance our other kitten was exposed too, but her immune system could fight it. Our vet said any FeCov traces would be definitely gone by then. It’s a little bit of an over kill, but better safe then sorry, I guess. SO bummed for my sweet girl, but she will still be just over a year old, in Sept and will most likely still be accepting of another cat.

Curious what others have been told by their vets.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Focusing on your remaining furry darling, give her cat music and also try a purr toy as well as a heartbeat toy.

• Purraise
Reactions: HAS

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For what it is worth, Tawny passed away from FIP in 1992. The very same day we were forced to put him down, a 6mo cat showed up on our door step out of nowhere. I don't know whether we ever tested her for corona virus, but she ended up passing away from cancer - no indications of FIP whatsoever. All we had done before she 'showed up' was clean out the food/water dishes and the litter box from Tawny - no additional cleaning or disinfecting - having no idea we were about to embark upon a wonderful trip/life with Gracie.