Adopting 3 year old male cats that have always lived at the shelter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just so everyone knows, they are actually out in the lobby area and stuff wandering throughout the day.  They are not in the cage all the time, which is a huge bonus. 
Oh that's totally different then. :lol3: I was under the impression they'd been living in a cage their entire lives. :heart2: Yes, HUGE bonus!

Sadly, I cannot start them off in my bedroom, as suggested, as my allergies would kill me; I am very allergic to animals. Once they are tamed down enough to be ok with me "handling" them a bit, I will be taking them to the vet for a check up and then get those allergy drop things to put in their food. 
I'm really allergic to cats too. What drops are these? (I also have asthma). When we rescued our first cats, I started taking zyrtec-D, got a prescription steroid cream for the hives and rashes, got put on Advair in addition to the albuterol, and I keep Visine handy. I wash my hands a lot, but have a boatload of tips for how to manage things around the house once their out and about. :nod: (I personally can't imagine not sleeping with my kitties.... I really don't know how long it took, but I'm really only reactive to two of our cats at this point. They have more of the allergy producing stuff in their saliva).

One major thing: do NOT wash the cats. This does NOT help allergies, it makes them worse. The cats lick themselves all over after a bath. Just wipe them down with distilled water, and get a furminator to brush them with every few days. They will need to be introduced to a regular brush first, if they haven't been already. But the furminator removes so much of the undercoat, which is what sheds.

As far as travelling, I was thinking that after I get them ok with me, and they start wandering more of the house and such, that I should take them to a couple places in the carrier, let them out, play with them, put them back in, take them home, and help them to learn that even though they will be travelling in a carrier, they still get to go back home with me.  Then, after doing that a couple of times, it may make the first vet visit easier.  I thought that maybe I could use set phrases like "going bye bye" and "going home" so that they would start to be less scared of travelling as their only time travelling will have been to take them from the only place they know over to my home.  Does that sound like it could help or just be a waste of time?  Any advise is appreciated.
That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure it's necessary... but some cats are really terrified of the car. As it seems you live in a house, a really good idea is to leave their crates out all the time as beds. This will really help when you do need to use them.

tick-n-thistle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are an angel, and I think you are in for one of the most rewarding experiences of your life by adopting these two wonderful, beautiful boys!  Their affection and companionship and entertainment value will come back to you one hundred fold!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarabi76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

As of last Wednesday, the boys are now home, with me. :)  Woo hoo!!!  I have discovered the following things so far: Wade (the cream one & 3 legged one) loves to climb and hide up high (although he hides behind things just as well), where as Stormy is more of a cave dwelling hider (he loves to be behind the computer in the corner of the room).  They have a cat tree, which is awesome, and Wade rather enjoys (I do not think Stormy has been on it, but not sure).  The tree is the only way to get Wade out in the main room area with me, but it works.  Last night, Stormy actually came out of his corner to eat while I was playing on my computer in the room!  I was sooooo excited, and I know that these boys are one day going to be love bugs (I can sense it).  Both of them allow me to pet them, but, as they are frozen in fear when I do it, I do not do it hardly ever right now.  When Wade is up in the cat tree, I only go near him to set a treat by him, because I do not want him to feel that he isn't safe up there.  They are beautiful and amazing cats.  Right now, it appears that Wade is more of a "blah" cat (I think he will be a real cuddlebug someday) and Stormy has the curiosity thing going, so I think he will tame down first.  WOW!!!!  As I am typing this, Stormy came out to use the litter box!!!!  How awesome is that?  These guys are awesome!  Ummm...ok, so Stormy used the litter box and then scratched the wall, the floor, and the side of the computer desk, without ever scratching in the litter......strange cat.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, they are making great progress - how fabulous!  The wall, floor scratching is marking behavior - glands in the cat's paws release marking hormones. He's marking the whole area around the litterbox as "his".

Have you ever seen articles about cats making paintings?  Or a book called "Why Cats Paint?"   Its the marking behavior that gets channeled into dipping a paw in one color, making strokes, then another....

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your joy!  Everyday a new victory, and a glimpse into the characteristic of each cat.

You are so excited, I can feel it!  I can because I know and have experienced the same excitement that you are sharing here.  

Don't worry what some people think - I've learned to be a closet cat person when I'm around some people that wouldn't understand - at least sharing here at this website is "safe" - we're all a little different because of our appreciation of these wonderful creatures.

As for scratching everything but the litter - this is not unusual, I have several that end up not covering their deposit even though they've worked very hard to do so - go figure.  It does make me run faster to remove what they've left uncovered, though. LOL

Taking it slow has so many rewards - even expecting some set-backs should help you not be discouraged should something happen - it's just that thing called "patience" needing to reinforced I think (?). :)

Thank you for the exciting update.

g

tick-n-thistle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you!!!!    

There is nothing more rewarding than a cat's acceptance!  They can be so independent and aloof, you think they'll keep you at arms length forever.  Then the armor begins to crack, and pretty soon you have a loving friend for life.  Congratulations!

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Aprilprey, How have you been?

Just checking on you and the boys... would love to have an update on how you are going along

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hah! Sorry.
we haven't heard from her in a week or so... I hope that means good news.

sarabi76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, sorry for no update, so here it is.  We are on about day 16 now.  Stormy comes out to eat sometimes while I'm in here, and for the last 3 or 4 days he has started to come out from the corner and lay in a spot he likes (that's basically out in the open) while I am in here....very excited about that.  He's still not a fan of me, and if I get up he usually wanders off back to his dark corner.....still, it's progress.  A couple days ago, I almost had a heart attack from my cats!  I was sitting here and heard a noise...I thought, "Oh, Stormy must be eating."  I turned and almost screamed as WADE had come out and was eating while I was in the room!  That three legged cat NEVER comes out when I am in here.  I was sooooo shocked, and excited.  I tried to stay calm, quiet, and looking at my computer....it was difficult to do. :)  After a minute he got spooked (well, my hand was moving around as I tried to get the webcam recording him) ;)  and he wandered back behind his box.  But, a couple minutes later, he came back out and went and laid over by Stormy, who was in his happy spot in the open.  Wade didn't stay there for long, but he still was out here!  The progress is slow, as expected, but there IS progress (with both cats now), so I am pretty geeked about that.

I am having issues with nasty smelling, and looking, stool, but they are on a cheap cat food during their transition, so that's probably the source of that.  I did have stool samples checked though, and the vet said that they do not have parasites or anything, so that's good.  I just now bought a much better cat food, which I am starting to transition them to now (slowly, of course).  Hopefully, the better food, along with them not being quite so stressed, will help with the nasty smell.  I feel bad for them, because they have spent 3 years on just random cheap cat foods, and they have never been on a solid, more healthy, diet.  Their poor little systems are probably all messed up (well, not probably, the smell kind of confirms that).  Hopefully in the next few weeks, after being on a more regular (and better) diet, they will be a bit better.  Who knows, maybe that will help them feel like checking me out more. :)

So, that's it for now.  They entertain me, even though they mostly hide in a corner.  Oh, and both of them are obsessed with marking their area after using the litter box, so I can be in the other room, and I will know if they just used the box, because I will hear them beating at the walls (Wade does it for a few minutes).  Sometimes, I will hear the noise, and just shake my head and smile.  They are funny!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! Sounds like it's going well! They'll come around, with plenty of love from you and time to get comfortable.

Also, Northern Michigan! \o/

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a relief that is !!! Great!

And what about yohr son? Is he ok with them?

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for giving these wonderful cats a wonderful home!

I was thinking of something that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread: your autistic son. Has he ever been around animals?

There's a lot of autistics who feel a uniquely strong ability to connect to and communicate with animals. It also benefits them, and has show to improve their communication and eye contact.

Obviously you know your son way better than I do. If he has the issue of not always knowing his strength, perhaps this is not a good idea.

But if not, you might try having him spend some time around them. Non-intervening, like you've been doing. You may find he picks up on things that you don't, and can help you with acclimating them to finally being in a home. It might also be a fulfilling thing for him to be around them.

sarabi76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I haven't been on here much lately!  As far as my Autistic son, he's not an animal fan (which makes me wonder how he's my kid). ;)  Before the cats, we had a dog for years, and my son, Jareb, just co-existed with the dog.  He didn't hate the dog, he was more just indifferent toward him.  At this point, he is the same way with the cats.  When he comes into the "cat room," he's usually hyper and "flapping" and stuff, because he wants a picture from the computer.  He ignores the cats, and, despite his loud noises and movements, they are not scared of him.  Stormy looks at him like, "what's wrong with you, and why are you disturbing my nap?"  Wade, interestingly enough though, looks at him with curiosity and wonder....the ONLY time I ever see Wade curious about anything (most of the time he's just scared....or napping).  It's interesting to me to watch Wade when Jareb is in here....Wade looks at him intently, but not like he's scared....I wish there was a way I could use that.

The real reason, though, that I came on is for different cat update.  I took away a box that they hid behind, and they got mad at me (naturally).  Ironically, it got Stormy to hide on me more and Wade to be out in the open more on his cat tree (he loves that thing).  I pet Wade sometimes while he's up there, and, I think he's starting to get conflicted feelings about it....I think he's starting to like being pet on the cheek and neck.  When I stop petting him, it's like there's this moment of, "oh, she stopped...now I am sad....oh, wait, I don't want to be touched....she's evil."  I could be wrong, but I think he's very slowly wearing down; it makes me smile to see his reaction though when I stop petting him....I only do it for a few seconds or so now and then.

So, the other day, Stormy decided he wasn't quite so angry and, for the first time EVER, was up on the cat tree while I was in here.  I took a crappy little web-cam photo to commemorate the moment, and I thought I would share it with you guys.

Progress is slow, but it is still progress, and that is all I can ask for.  I love how Wade blends in to the cat tree. :)

Thanks again for all the support!!!

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your boys are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! So wonderful of you to take on a 'challenging' pair of cats. It seems like they are making huge strides towards being comfortable house cats. Please keep updating, I'd love to keep hearing how it goes with them :)

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there!
Just checking up on how you and the boys are doing

Purrs!