Adopted two pregnant kitties.

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The law of averages sure didn't apply itself here haha. They are all very cute :)

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats 
  adding good idea to keep an eye on kitten rejected -even though started nursing again- there could be something underlying that the mom has detected something internal it may or may not become serious fingers crossed.....cute babies 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well! You have been busy! Happy to hear the other cat has delivered and all is well. I was going to suggest that you put the rejected kitten with the other mom, but as I kept reading, I saw that you had already done that. Brilliant!

Please do let us know weights when you can. I'm stunned that all 9 kittens are male! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wilbeth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The odd thing is mum didn't always reject the same one...... We have just gone into check Midna again and she has put another baby by the door. We have moved him back to mum and her has remained with her for the last 30 mins. All her kittens are gaining weight well - does anyone know why she likes to put one by the door ( which is on the other side of the room from her nest.)

wilbeth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Midna

Kitten 1 - 133g

"     2 - 153g

"     3 - 123g *

"     4 - 141g

"     5 - 130g

* - This little one has moved to Boo.

Boo

Kitten 1 - birthweight - 110g

"       2 -                      - 125g

"       3 -                      - 110g

"       4 -                      - 106g

This morning they had gained 9g, 14g, 5g ( we are watching this one carefully) and 10g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights look good! Glad you are watching the smallest. I'm not sure what Midna is doing by moving one baby out of the nest. Cats frequently want to move their babies to a different place after a few days though. Moving near the door may be Midna wanting to move her litter out of the room and to somewhere else in the home. Best to just keep an eye on the situation.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! That would be why she is putting babies away from her nest, when it is not one in particular that is, but any of them randomly, she is not comfortable with her nest spot and should be moved asap.

Private, secluded, quiet, dark-ish, away from foot traffic and commotion is what she wants.

Also 2 things, one is, newborns all have a bit of swollen genitals and all look like boys, the trick to getting accurate sexes is to notice the females anus and vagina holes are much closer together then the males anus and penis. There is a bigger space between them. You can do some comparing to tell better :)

The other thing is, moms have 4 prime favorite nipples that supply milk much better then others, it is the 4 lowest ones, which will be taken over by the biggest/feistiest babies, so keep an eye that one particular doesn't only get an upper nipple or you might find the need to supplement.

wilbeth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well - thank you catwoman707. You were right - Midna did indeed want to move her litter and is now under my daughters bed. ( My daughter has moved to the spare room! ). Once Boo saw where Midna had chosen she too moved her kittens to the same place. Now both cats are sharing mothering duties - and kittens are thriving. Both cats are very settled in each others company. So for the moment we will let nature take it's course. The one cat that we were worried about is now the second heaviest. It does now appear we have one little girl. ;-)

Midna's at 5 days

K1 - 152g, K2 - 174g, K3 - 166g, K4 - 162g, K5 - 143g

Boo's at 3 days

K1 - 152g, K2 - 156g, K3 - 154g, K4 - 150g.

I'm amazed that Boo's are roughly the same size despite being two days younger!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Beautiful niece you have there! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]127868[/emoji][emoji]127872[/emoji][emoji]127881[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

Babies everywhere! Kitten weights are good! The difference may be that one mama cat has 5 to feed and the other has four, so the one who weighs the least - Midna's kitten #5 - may be on a less desirable nipple. I'm glad you let them move. They will be happier now. It's just wonderful to hear, and see, that things are going so well! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are co-mothering, then they will both nurse all the kittens.  I've seen this before and it works well.  You just have to make sure that they are all still growing.  Under the bed is a lot harder place to care for them for YOU, but it's a perfect cave for a mother cat.  You will just have to change the bedding every few days.  Their eyes open around 10 days of age, and a few days after that they will probably start venturing out.  They are not supposed to have bright light in their eyes when they are first opening, so you shouldnt use the camera flash at that time, but jut fine for now.

If there's a closet in that room, you may want to set it up as an alternate den they can use later if they want.

wilbeth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you - yes it has been a very 'baby birthing' week!.

We change the bedding every day when we weigh the kittens. There doesn't seem to be one that is pushed out anymore. The one we were worried about has now become the second heaviest. They seem to be sharing mums. When we have a look, each cat has a mix of kittens. Both mummy cats seem happy that they have each other and nurse them all as if they are their own! They may be on to something! Lol

Boo's were born in my daughter's closet and I have a closet all set up that neither of them wanted to deliver in - but yes we will have to re think when the time comes and the kittens are more mobile. Luckily we have a spare room so they may have to go in there. I am guessing that the mother cats are less clingy when they get bigger??

I love weighing them and seeing them grow - it's so satisfying, despite having nothing to do with the process. Haha.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The spare room would be a great place for the kittens to play and explore when they begin to toddle away from the nest.

My mama cat had her babies in my daughter's closet. When they were 3 weeks old mama kitty moved them into my bedroom. I set up food and water in the adjoining bathroom, and a big litter box for mom in a corner of my bedroom, and put cat toys in the room. Around 4 weeks I set up a kitten litter pan next to the big one. I left the kittens in the room to climb and play and sleep and nurse until they were about 6 weeks old, when they began to venture downstairs. Still, they needed supervision. I would gather them all & return them to my room after about an hour or so, and close the door to the room so they would be safe and I could get on with my business. You'll need to kitten-proof, as there's lots they can get into and under!

You'll be surprised to see that mama cats continue to watch their babies even when they begin to leave the nest. They trill for them to come to her, they groom them, and they begin to play with and discipline them. This is how they learn kitten manners! By hissing, holding a paw on them, and scruffing their necks in her mouth, they learn what is acceptable behavior in terms of scratching and biting. You'll see the kittens play fight with each other too.

It's common for two queens to share nursing duties when in the same house together. They really help each other out in this way!

You can probably change the bedding every other day, unless it is particularly soiled. It sounds like all is well! Nice job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]