Adopted two feral kittens...helpful socialization hints appreciated!

debradoodle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three weeks ago I adopted two feral kittens that were rescued from a colleague‘s backyard. The boy, now named Whiskey Sourpuss, was taken to the vet and neutered. His sibling, now named Biscuit, will be going in a few days. They guessed they were about 3-4 months old. I’ve had cats before, strays, but they were older and socialized.

So at first I had them in a little nylon pen downstairs with me so they could get used to sights, sounds, and be contained. However, one night there was a jailbreak. They ended up hiding under my furniture, but they would come out to eat and drink, and used the litter box at night. Since I figured it was best to keep them a little more contained to one area, I had help getting them upstairs to their deluxe apartment in the sky! (Aka a spare room that is now all theirs!) They were pretty frightened by the transporating but have since calmed down a bit. I added one of the feliway pheromone plug-ins to the room.

I feed them a couple times a day and they do eventually come out to eat when I’m in there, but they are both still skittish. I can pet Biscuit with a little hissing, and a treat was taken out of my hand! Whiskey Sourpuss hisses and runs off and hides, and I don’t want to frighten him more by chasing him. I will sit in there with them and talk to them several times a day, and put a few treats around. They have begun to sit on the towel I sit on when I’m in the room, is that a good sign?

Sorry for the long post, but l’m just looking for some advice and hoping I’m doing the right things, and these are signs they are getting more comfortable with me. I can’t wait to snuggle them!!! Lol

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love their names!

When I have ferals I keep them in a dog kennel and follow a set list of guidelines. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot but I like all of the kitten lady's suggestions the best, although I don't do the kitten wiggle in the towel. Usually it takes 2-3 weeks to socailize them well, and then another couple weeks to really make them confident.

Food should always be in meals and should always be accompanied by human contact/social time, at whatever level they are at. I highly recommend you read the kitten lady and watch her videos.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting with you is a good sign. Food is a great tool. I have brought in a lot of ferals of all ages and it takes time and patience. I always start by just sitting or laying on my back to let them get used to seeing me at their level. No pursuit! You don’t want to loom above them or appear to be chasing them as a predator would do. Bring them to you. Announce your presence before entering the room. No surprises at this point will help. Sit with food as near to you as they tolerate. With each opportunity, move the food a little closer to you. Hand feeding can help a lot! If they see you give food but do not pursue, they will learn trust. As you bring them closer with food you can eventually put the food on your lap or beside your hand. In time this can lead to them brushing against you and they will also get to know your scent. You can help the scent thing by leaving a shirt or something with your scent on it in the room for them to check out at their leisure.
Play can come into the picture as they settle in. A brush can be used to let them rub against it. That can feel good to them and the handle distances your hand some. A wand toy can be used too. Keep the toy at ground level at first. Try to lead them near and if possible, you may be able to get them interested enough in play to begin touching with the wand part. Don’t leave them unattended with any toy with a string though. Cats can swallow strings!
Sleeping in the room with them can help too. A regular routine and letting them explore you as you sleep will give them a chance to investigate you when you are not seen as a threat in any way. I have awakened to find a feral curled up next to me.
Treats are another tool. Gerber second foods all meat cat food is hard to resist to many but other cat safe treats can work too. I like the baby food because when slightly warm the scent can bring kitties out to look. It should only be used as a treat and a teaching tool. A small amount used to bring them near without any demands on them can lead to them associating you with extra special things! If they won’t eat a meal near you, they may not be able to resist a treat.
Every cat adjusts at their own pace. Patience is key. You have already made a lot of progress. As Whiskey Sourpuss sees Biscuit interacting with you in safety, it should lead to more trust. That often makes a big difference so just keep doing what you are doing and add in a few of the things that many of us use to help the kitties learn they are in a safe and loving environment. You’re doing great and you have my thanks for taking these babies into your home. Two more lives saved! Kitty guardians are kitty heros! Please do keep us updated. I am sure that others will be along with more tips. Thank you!:clap2::goldstar: