Adopted Too Soon?/"wrong Fit For Cat/human"?

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After my Midnight died (Nov. 12), I started volunteering with a no-kill shelter. Yes, I loved several of those cats, but I never had a desire to take any home. This shelter's model is to take animal's from the kill-list (24 hour notice or less) and bring them to their shelter. Because they're in a temporary location, they don't have the medical facilities, or permanent animal care facilities for some cases, so those go to partner shelters in other cities. Sometimes, those partners take healthy animals, too. I was saying "goodbye" to some of the ones getting ready to transport out the next day one night, and one kept crying for me as I passed, and I finally cried for him (my first time crying at the shelter). I knew it was too soon after Midnight's death for me to adopt another cat. I walked away. But I couldn't get him off my mind. I went back the next evening, and lo and behold, the transport had been delayed. He woke from a dead sleep, ran to the front of his cage to greet me...

Novel aside, I signed the adoption papers and took him home. This poor boy cat is practically perfect from an adopter's standpoint, and I didn't understand why no one snapped him up sooner. He's dodged the URI bullet and appears perfectly healthy, he's affectionate, he had to be told that it was ok to get on the furniture... He even LIKES to have his belly rubbed. There are just two problems. The first is that I really, really am not ready. I'm overcome by guilt, yeah, but the bigger part is that I just want to be alone to cry about Midnight in peace.

The other thing, perhaps the more important thing, is that he is a major cuddler. He is glued to me from the moment I come to see him (when he was in his "isolation room"/"study", which is slowly expanding to the rest of the apartment, my bedroom now inclusive). If I part away from him, he starts crying. If he goes to use the litterbox and I don't follow him, he cries for me until I come into the same room. He wants to be held, petted, touched, every waking moment. He doesn't even have much interest in playing (and he's 9 months old... practically still a kitten!) or treats.

Right now, I'm in a lull at work, where I'm only working 8 hour days, but there's a big project coming up where I'll be ramping up to much longer hours, and he'll be alone most of the time. I could make some sacrifices for Midnight, whom I was deeply devoted to, but this cat and I aren't bonded to each other at all. (I tested this theory this weekend by having friends over... he gladly cuddled with any of them, just so long as /someone/ held him).

This is further complicated by me starting to have anxiety attacks, partly from the guilt of how Midnight died, from feeling like I "replaced" her, partly because some of the little guy's sounds are very similar to hers (He didn't start really "talking" to me until two or three days in), and partly because he's not eating as much in the past two days as he did at the shelter or as he did in the first three days he was here (it's been five days since I brought him home, his appointment with the vet is tomorrow).

So... My options at this point are to stay the course, keep going with the poor guy and hope a bond develops... or contact the shelter, let them know that it isn't working out, and offer to write a bio/take pictures and post him as a "foster" until he's adopted... which could get to be just as messy if I either get attached or continue to have these anxiety attacks. I know he freaks out and runs when I have the stereotypical/sobbing-and-hyperventilating panic attacks, which has got to suck for him. Before adopting him, I'd already talked to the foster coordinator about "eventually" taking some cats for foster (specifically the ones who were most nervous in the shelter), so we've been in contact.

I really think the little guy needs to be with a family, or someplace with more activity and "touchy-feely" love for him, because he was Mr. Social Butterfly when I had company over and now that we're alone he seems kind of... sullen, but still needing to have constant contact, and I just can't provide it to him. I also, selfishly, want to be alone for a while longer.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone been here before, either where they adopted "too soon" or adopted a cat they felt would be a better fit with someone else? (Again, to be clear, this cat has precisely 0 behavioral problems, except for being a cuddle-monster. I'm also not going to be returning him to the shelter, since they are full up, and since I'd already agreed to foster at some point... might as foster this guy until he's adopted, if I don't keep him)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just stay the course. I adopted my rescue just a little over a month after my Maine Coon past after having him all most 16 yrs. I didn't plan to adopt that fast either but I just ran across him and it seemed meant to be. In no way did I replace Tama ( my Maine Coon ) by a long shot. I can't replace him, no way possible! Manny ( my rescue ) is a lot like your kitty but, maybe not as clingy. He doesn't get on the furniture, likes belly rubs, no issues at all other than he was shy and spooked easily which he's coming out of that.

Has it ever occurred to you that Midnight had something to do with it? That it was meant to be? Sometimes I wonder if Tama didn't send Manny to me. Sometimes Manny does stuff and I'm like wow...Tama use to do that exact thing. I'm sure Midnight doesn't want to see you unhappy.

Either way your going to have him around a while. Stop beating yourself up and go with it a see what happens. You can always adopt him out if you still feel the same in a few weeks. You 2 will bond in time and maybe he just needs another buddy to keep him company. Don't know if that would be an option. It's hard to find a cat that can be that social. Tama was like that. Manny still hides under the bed when a stranger comes over so it could be worse! Just relax....breath....don't worry...and BE Happy! :lol: Midnight would want it that way! Trust me!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give it an honest chance, whether you decide to keep him or not. "Adopters remorse" is very common in the first few weeks, both in cats and dogs. If he's a foster and you really think your life is too dull for this social butterfly I can totally understand too, but even then you should give the little guy a chance and try to make the best of it. He's probably felt very little affection during his time at the shelter and is making up for lost time.

Anyhow, I think both choices are great options, given that you are picky with your selection of adopters and find an amazing and -permanent- home for him.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say give it at least a few weeks or so. When I got my first dog and my first cat after the initial excitement wore off I always felt like "Oh my gosh, what did I just do?!?!" And the first few weeks I felt like I regretted getting them. But after I established a routine and started bonding more, now they are the best part of my life!

But if after a while you still feel the same, I would try to find him another foster home.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like part of the problem here is that your little guy is suffering from separation anxiety - perfectly understandable after being in a shelter (and whatever circumstances lead up to that). He should settle and become less clingy in time, as he gains more confidence and security. Separation Anxiety In Cats

I'm so sorry for you loss. Midnight sounds like a truly special little girl, and bonds that close stay with you forever :rbheart: You have nothing to feel guilty about, and you are not betraying her or her memory by bringing this guy into your life. It's natural that you're still grieving, but sometimes having new life in the house can be helpful..and even comforting :hugs: Of course you don't feel bonded to your new cat yet - that takes time, and it's hard to bond with a cat when you're grieving so deeply for another. I get the impression that Midnight was your soul-mate kitty, and relationships that close come along very rarely (I've had cats, dogs and horses all my life, and have only had that ultra special connection with maybe 2 or 3 out of 19 in total), so you may never feel the same depth of bond that you and Midnight shared. That doesn't mean that you won't bond with and love this new guy, or that he won't bond with or love you. It may just be a different kind of relationship and love.

I think it's too soon to make any decisions. Give yourself and your boy some time, and maybe reassess in the new year. If you still feel like you've made a mistake, you can offer to be a foster mom to him until his forever home/owners find him. :hugs::vibes:

Love4Sadie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear what you’ve gone through, and at the same time, your story is almost my “twin”. My black cat Sadie was perfection. Or purrfection. I had her for 12 years and I had
to put her to sleep on Oct. 30. I got so lonely this past week that I made the rash decision to adopt a kitten.
I got in the car with her and cried! What had I done?! This was too soon. I felt pressured to get her, and most of that pressure was my own.
I took her home and felt sick. I don’t feel a “spark” - or it bothers me how much she howls, I’m even finding myself being critical of the way she looks... :-( but if you saw her I garauntee you would think she’s got the sweetest little face.
She even plays fetch and behaves herself as well as a kitten can. Oh how I wish I could instantly bond with her. The pain of returning her would make me suffer more.

But trust me I love on her and cuddle her and dote on her. I only adopted her this Saturday but I worry every second, every minute whether I should return her. I still feel sick. Adopting should feel happy right??
I’m sorry that you’re going through this. Perhaps there is some solace in the fact that you can consider yourself a foster parent perhaps? I don’t mean to imply that it makes the struggle easier.
Thank you for sharing your story because I know I’m not alone. I hope we both come to decisions that let are hearts be at peace our outcomes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Love4Sadie. I'm sorry to hear about Sadie :( Congratulations on your kitten, too. I know that Hank, the YA cat I picked up, is a cuddle-fiend, and I have to admit, it's nice to hold him, and pet him, and hear him purr. I know, ever and always, that he isn't Midnight, but the companionship is nice. It even feels a bit like I'm using him, which adds to the guilt-pile that's building.

It's been almost two weeks with Hank, and I still don't feel any kind of "bond", even a glimmer of what I felt in the shelter. He was listed for transport, I said goodbye to him (and a few of the others), but he clung to me, and cried for me while I was cleaning cages that night. I signed the paperwork the next day (the transport had been pushed back). I still get panicky when I think about him, but it's settling down a little. I worry about him, and I worry about returning him, or fostering him, because he seems to "bond" with every human he comes across. Friendliest cat I ever did meet, a complete contrast to my Midnight.

Columbine had the right of it, Midnight is my soul kitty. I think there is no part of me that will ever stop loving or missing her, and I struggle every day with how I'm going to make her death count for something. I had all these grand designs to foster for the shelter I volunteer with, get my mom's ferals all fixed and maybe adopt either a "foster fail" or one of the ferals after she was fixed and vetted. Part of me knows I'm regretting lost opportunity as much as regretting bringing Hank home.

The longer Hank stays in my apartment, though, the more I think he's being "taught" by the ghost of Midnight. He's starting to hang in her old favorite spots, and has the same aversion of heights that she did. He's starting to sound like her, and even learned her very particular trick of dealing with doors (where she closed them to get some quiet, he opens them). The real kicker was when we reached the 4-week mark for Midnight's death. I curled up where I had been when she died and started crying... and Hank laid down right where she had been and was very still, purring. His eyes, normally yellow, went green around the pupils, and he was uncharacteristically calm and un-needy until I got up.

I'm still not sure about keeping Hank... I'm pretty sure he's looking for a "soul human", and I'm almost certain I'm not it. I do, however, see the point in keeping him around. I didn't know that I'd somehow adopted a "broken" kitty anyhow, in that I had to teach him to play, to get up on the furniture, how the magic screens can be fun (TV, computer, phone...). So, for now, my consolation is that I'll be working on the ferals, and I'm still signed up as a foster... and Hank is going to be the perpetually cheerful and friendly candy-striper.

Love4Sadie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Shar,
Hank sounds like he is fulfilling a purpose for you, and you for him- even just for the time being. I think I need to look at it that way with this little one. It hasn’t felt right to name her- maybe it’s becuase I’m distancing myself.

You’re right- Midnight was your soul Cat, and Sadie sure was mine. I’m with you, ok?❤

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to call my previous cat, Willow, the love of my life and she truly was. She was a sassy calico who I had adopted when she was 4 and I was the only person she liked and wanted to spend any time with. Last year in the span of a couple months from September to November, I discovered she most likely had oral cancer and attempted to deal with it and make things as comfortable as possible for her before she declined rapidly and was put to sleep. She was only 12 and I only had 8 years with her but it was enough time for her to become my "lovercats" as I called her. It all happened so quickly I don't even think I had time to truly process that she was gone.

She left me November 26th of last year and on December 1st I had adopted a 10 week old kitten I named Gizmo. I wasn't looking for a replacement, but rather was looking for something who could make all the empty cat trees, all the unused toys, all the cat related things I had scattered all over my house useful again. I purposely chose Gizmo because he was the opposite of everything Willow was. Come to find out, I had picked a kitten with a myriad of digestive issues and health issues that I could have never predicted. You say it's been two weeks and you don't feel any kind of bond, it was two months before I truly felt a bond of my own to Giz! I questioned taking him back to the shelter numerous times because I was frustrated to not know how to fix his tummy troubles and was frustrated my vet didn't know how to either, I was annoyed with how often I had to clean him from the diarrhea he'd get all over himself, I was cranky and crabby from the limited amount of sleep he was allowing me to get!

Honestly, I think Hank is probably just extremely grateful that you've adopted him and he wants to show you that gratitude by being a clinger. He will calm down in his neediness and become a wonderful companion to you if you just allow time to settle things. For me, Gizmo taught me that he was absolutely no Willow and I was allowed to grieve properly in understanding that Willow was gone and the time I had with her was so very precious but now it was time to create a new story with him. I owe Giz for teaching me that, maybe Hank will be able to give you that same satisfaction! :redheartpump:

Apologies for how long this got!:lol:

Love4Sadie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to call my previous cat, Willow, the love of my life and she truly was. She was a sassy calico who I had adopted when she was 4 and I was the only person she liked and wanted to spend any time with. Last year in the span of a couple months from September to November, I discovered she most likely had oral cancer and attempted to deal with it and make things as comfortable as possible for her before she declined rapidly and was put to sleep. She was only 12 and I only had 8 years with her but it was enough time for her to become my "lovercats" as I called her. It all happened so quickly I don't even think I had time to truly process that she was gone.

She left me November 26th of last year and on December 1st I had adopted a 10 week old kitten I named Gizmo. I wasn't looking for a replacement, but rather was looking for something who could make all the empty cat trees, all the unused toys, all the cat related things I had scattered all over my house useful again. I purposely chose Gizmo because he was the opposite of everything Willow was. Come to find out, I had picked a kitten with a myriad of digestive issues and health issues that I could have never predicted. You say it's been two weeks and you don't feel any kind of bond, it was two months before I truly felt a bond of my own to Giz! I questioned taking him back to the shelter numerous times because I was frustrated to not know how to fix his tummy troubles and was frustrated my vet didn't know how to either, I was annoyed with how often I had to clean him from the diarrhea he'd get all over himself, I was cranky and crabby from the limited amount of sleep he was allowing me to get!

Honestly, I think Hank is probably just extremely grateful that you've adopted him and he wants to show you that gratitude by being a clinger. He will calm down in his neediness and become a wonderful companion to you if you just allow time to settle things. For me, Gizmo taught me that he was absolutely no Willow and I was allowed to grieve properly in understanding that Willow was gone and the time I had with her was so very precious but now it was time to create a new story with him. I owe Giz for teaching me that, maybe Hank will be able to give you that same satisfaction! :redheartpump:

Apologies for how long this got!:lol:
Thank you so much for sharing this. I don’t know if you saw my response to Shar’s original post, but I have an almost identical situation and it’s nice to hear that bonding eventually happened for you and Gizmo.

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to go though a similar experience recently. One of my 2 cats had to be put down to sleep in late June because his kidneys shut down completely. His name was Cupcake, his photo is in my profile picture. I had him for almost 10 years and he truly was my best friend. I was a mess for a whole month after, cried every day (I still do sometimes). I was left with my other cat, scottish fold guy of 9 years old named Phillip. So after a month passed I started to notice a stray cat showing up at our office door. I fed him every day and felt really sorry for him. So long story short one day I made an impulsive decision and trapped him to take to the vet and then adopt. I didn't really think it through though. He had to stay and be treated at the vet for 3 weeks and then I took him home in the end of September. Things didn't work out well at home. I named the cat Oliver. So after I took him home I realized that no matter what we didn't seem to bond. I regretted my decision to adopt him and had panic attacks almost every day because of that. I felt trapped because I ended up with a cat that I didn't really like and he didn't seem attached to me ether. On top of that he showed some aggression towards me and had trust issues. I wanted to find him a new home but nobody wanted to take a 10 y.o. cat with some behavioral issues. I stayed in that state of panic and regret for about 1,5 months but then I suddenly started to see changes. Now that Oliver finally started to trust me he almost stopped biting and scratching me and I feel really attached to him now. I can't believe I wanted to get rid of him so badly. I'm glad I didn't. Now if only Oliver and my other cat Phillip would get along...They still hate each other and it's been 3,5 months. But that's another story.

When I read your message I related to it so much. That was almost exactly how I felt after I adopted Oliver. And though it seemed that we would never bond now I feel very attached to him and he became a very loving cat. I don't think he will ever replace my beautiful boy who was taken from me too soon but I'm glad I now have Oliver in my life. I think things will work out for you as well. Good luck!