Adopted Stray Kitten Gave Birth For The First Time, Has Serious Behavioral Issues

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I had taken in another stray a month and a half back. She gelled up my other kittens and cat. 2 weeks ago I got to know she was pregnant. She delivered the kittens last night. Its her first litter. She kept on meowing the whole night and did not let me leave her side till the kittens were born. She nursed them and cleaned. Everything looked normal till she started meowing again and trying to move the kittens but eventually she brought them back to the same spot every time. So I decided to help her move them and opened a portion of my house which we dont use anymore. She moved all the kittens but wouldn't nurse them and come back to the area where we are living. So I had to sit next to her for hours and put the kittens next to her and she finally attended. I have two concerns here.

First is that I feel she is very confused and doesn't know what to do.I do not know how to help her either. I am afraid she may abandon the kittens because I felt she tried to. She isnt nursing the kittens without me being by her side. Please advice on what I shall do.

I noticed a wound on of the kittens neck (under the mouth) with a lil blood on it. I think she may have injured it while moving since she was roaming with it in her mouth for about half an hour. This particular kitten was cold when I picked it up. So I rubbed it a lil and put it next to her. Its nursing fine and looks alright too. But I do not know if I should be worried. Is it normal for the kittens to get hurt when their mums move them ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should put her nest in a quiet corner or closet in your bedroom and put her food, water, and litter nearby. Sit with her when you can, but close the door to the room so she cannot move the kittens anywhere else in the house.

Most cats move their kittens without harming them, but injuries can occur, which is why you want her in one room where she feels safe and comfortable and will not keep moving the kittens.

It sometimes takes new moms a couple of days to fully settle down after giving birth. She finds your presence comforting.

Please check the wound on the kitten to make sure it is superficial. If it is not, she may need to see a vet for antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wound seems to be deep. The vet here suggested only a tube to apply since he says its too small to give any medicines. The kitten has stopped nursing and the skin around the wound is darker. The kitten seems to be crying in pain. I have fed the kitten diluted cow milk manually, but unfortunately we do not get milk for kittens here. I am trying to find goat milk. Are you suggesting antibiotics be fed to the mom ?

The mom and kittens are in a separate room now which is quite and dark. She did not like my kitchen's closet which she chose herself as her nest. I visit her every hours to check on them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
shilpa shilpa

The wound is obviously infected. The kitten is not too small to receive antibiotics if he needs them. He will die without antibiotics. He needs clavamox. Can you get that asap? I can tell you how much to give.

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vets here are impossible. Every now and then I am i a situation where I have to trust the vet but they almost always fail me. Its midnight again and the kitten is now breathing with its mouth open. So I cannot even feed it. I dont think it will survive the night. I can only pray now. If I see him alive in the morning, the first thing I will do is get him antibiotics. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry. The kitten is apparently dying. How sad. If you can hold and comfort the kitten, it may help it to pass more peacefully. :(

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your support:)
I did hold him that night till 3 am. Then I went to sleep. At 6 my mom told me there is no sign of the third kitten. It must have passed shortly after and the cat ate it. I also lost another kitten as well. I went to the market and returned in about 30 minutes. My sister told me that the other one has died as well. She tried to move them to the adjacent room and ended up hurting the other one. She told me that he gasped for air a couple of times and then passed away.Its been really difficult for me since all I want to do is give these creatures a better life. This cat is obviously confused and inexperienced. She keeps moving the third one in the house as well. He also has injuries on the neck but i had bought antibiotics after seeking advice from another vet in advance. Third one is doing fine as of now. I hope and pray that this one survives. I have kept her in my bathroom now. She wants me to be by her side all the time, so its best to keep her there.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost another one. Keeping mom and the remaining kitten in the bathroom is safest for now. Mom does not need to continue moving him around the house.

She does sound young and inexperienced. I hope she will allow this baby to grow up.

shilpa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She eventually killed all 3 of them. I will get her neutered if I can arrange money. I have been keeping her indoors so she doesnt get pregnant again. Sorry for the late response and thank you all for the support.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry!

Do you have a low cost spay clinic nearby? We can help locate one for you if you give your city and state.