Adopted Stray Desperately Need Help!

mothman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello ! I adopted a stray about five months ago, he is very bonded with the other cat i adopted with him so thankfully he never goes far. However, I feel like i have tried everything to help him get situated and ive decided to simply let him do what he wants. Recently, though, he got a huge cut on his leg and because he generally refuses to come inside (we have a huge garden and several sheds that he likes to live in) he wont let me close to him for the first few days i managed to coax him inside with food, though hes wised up to my tactics and now refuses to come inside again. Basically I need help because I want him to trust me enough to simply give him first aid when he needs it and maybe be able to approach him without him genuinley freaking out and running away. He's 1 and a half, named Luna.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
I don't know where you are, but you might be able to get some help through a local TNR group?
Mostly you need time to get him to trust you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Welcome to TCS! Is Luna neutered? He sounds semi-feral and that can be a challenge. For his current injury, you can offer him some unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil in his food.It might help his body fight off infection.
And establishing a socialization spot in the yard should help - a place for treats and play. A round of firewood or a small sturdy table in a spot comfortable for you will work. You can bring your tablet, book, crocheting, etc and whenever you are outside there, put out canned food or goodies for him to eat while you avoid looking or touching him (until he asks you for it). A teaser toy on an extended wand (and old fishing pole or the wand from window blinds works well - you want distance) piques curiosity and helps establish trust.