Adopted pregnant cat

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oh dear, poor little kitten.   My guess is that when the mom was moving them,   maybe in jumping while holding the kitten by the scruff of his neck,  it caused  either a sprain  or the cervical vertebrae got out of alignment.  

Hopefully it's something that can be healed and he will grow up to .    You might check if there are any orthopedic vets in the area.   or there are  veterinary chiropractors who  do realignments.    But maybe just first go to your regular vet and get an exam and an X ray.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley0752

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for the advice.. I'm going to take him today. He will ket you straighten him out and does cry so I don't think its broken. Hopefully! Will find out later

ashley0752

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I am faced with a very hard choice. ..with my kitten thatvhas the twisted body. Went to the vet and they aren't real sure what's going on. My choices are to put him asleep, or wait it out and see if when he's bigger and stronger he regains control of his neck and head. He is too small for any surgery but is strong and healty. Therefor as od now he won't die on his on...what to do????

4theloveofkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as he is eating well and does not seem to be in any sort of agonizing pain, I would let him continue on the way he is. Only time will tell if things will change for him or if he will learn to compensate. Plus, if he grows large enough they may be able to do something for him surgically if necessary.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as he is eating well and does not seem to be in any sort of agonizing pain, I would let him continue on the way he is. Only time will tell if things will change for him or if he will learn to compensate. Plus, if he grows large enough they may be able to do something for him surgically if necessary.
I think I agree with this. As long as he doesnt seem to be in pains, try and hold on.

Pts you can always do later too, if it would be necessary.

In the old days the decision was crucial, as the common way to do it was to drown them.   But nowadays we take help from the vet with pts, so there is no longer the same hurry.  

A very bleak encouragement, I know, but better than nothing.   :)

Good luck!

ashley0752

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I went to check on my babies last night. My little kitten with the twisted body was in the middle of the floor alone. He was trying to walk and hold his head up. It was wobbly and shaking but this is the most normal I've seen him in days! Hoping he is getting better! Thanks for the advice..I just couldn't let the vet put him down.

purrito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I had a kitten with a similar problem (head and neck "twisted" opposite of body direction). Our vet said it was torticollis, or wry neck. Torticollis can be caused by a variety of things, including genetic defect (where one set of tendons/ligaments in the neck is shorter than on the other side), complcations during birth (as in our little guy, he was HUGE at birth and his head was delivered slightly askew), injury, and even an ear infection/ear mites.  In the case of genetic defect, there are surgeries to correct that. With ear infections/ear mites, the problem is solved by clearing the infection/infestation. With injury during birth or otherwise, the problem usually corrects itself in time, as it did in our little guy. If the problem persists past 14 weeks, follow up with the vet and see if there are any exercises that can be done to help realign/strengthen the tendons/ligaments. Also wouldn't hurt to have the kitten checked (now) for ear mites or ear infection. Cats can live relatively uncomplicated lives with torticollis, although they may be more susceptible, in later years, to arthritis and pain.