Adopted kittens play may be getting too rough

spursrchamps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys my wife and I have two kittens we adopted July that were born sometime early may late April.  When we first adopted them Rafter was easily the dominant kitten even at his original foster home that where there were about 10 kittens around the same age.  One day in August or September Rafter suddenly spiked a high fever for about 48 hours (all tests were negative and fever went away with antibiotics) the day that happened though it seemed as if the dominance between the two began to pass.  Now fast forward to today.  Lately when the two wrestle Aslan will never stop regardless of how much Rafter meows or hisses (not super loud but just enough to be like leave me alone).  I think part of the reason is Aslan's teeth are super sharp.  If he even barely nibbles on my wife and I it can break skin.  Rafter seems to just lay there and take it most of the time and not even fight back (he may honestly still be the dominate one and be trying to teach Aslan something), but eventually enough is enough and a "game" of chase ensues.  After about 5 minutes Rafter will go ahead and reinstagate until Aslan gets to rough again and the cycle starts over.  Besides the wrestling play time I really see no issue between the two of them, they still groom each other, sleep next to each other, eat next to each other.  In fact if there is even only one of us playing with them they literally take turns with whatever toy it is.

Anyway I wrote that long wall of text for any advice.  I know that kittens can eventually grow apart but these two have basically been brothers since the foster home and would love to see it stay that way, and yes they are neutered. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Rafter and Aslan are behaving like normal youngsters to me. 

Just keep an eye out for any wounds, in case those teeth do some damage.  But normally that kind of fighting is all bluff and bravado.