Adopted Friend's Cat With History of Struvite Blockages

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BeeoftheWoods, Koder was very frightened and depressed in his first weeks here, but has adapted to our routine pretty well I think. I am no longer afraid for him pineing for his former owner. He is closed off from my other two twice daily - basically when I am sleeping. This is because they all eat when I get up and he is already segregated when I put the bowls down. That way, I can see how much everyone is eating. His appetite has totally recovered.

peaches08, I got the impression from LDG's post that she was having trouble with stress or bacterially caused crystals, even with the raw diet being fed. I have to say that Koder has taken to the raw food quite well and cleaning his plate. He seems to love it, but is the raw/canned intake enough to solve his crystal problems? :LDG seemed concerned for minute differences in PH with her cat Spook.

I think transitioning to a two-square-meals-a-day routine is new for him and so, he seems to be looking for food during the day inbetween meals. I have been giving him tiny amounts to tide him over. Actually, my other two boys get little snacks in the afternoon also if they come around for it. We are probably well past the hepatic lipidosis phase.

I did get the PH strips, but haven't caught him in the act since he uses his own litter box in the basement. But there's a positive to that in that I can see what he is producing. His urine clumps are big - the size of plums or lemons. From what I was reading, that is a good sign in lieu of regular PH testing.

From what I could piece together from his prior vet records, he has had two bouts of crystals three years apart - the last of which was only this past April. I am presuming that he was given the RX foods after the second occurance, as if he had been eating the RX foods since his first occurance - he probably wouldnt have had a second. I do have doubts that he was religiously eating his RX foods however - I think he was probably stealing from his other two room-mates who were not on RX foods. There were three cats in my former friend's house also - at times as many as seven cats - plenty of bowls to steal from.

Also, from the vet notes - he was straining and crying out at the litterbox prior to being catheterized. My vet also showed me where to feel for a blocked bladder. On the positive side, he has taken to eating the raw food just perfect, is eating well and peeing well. Maybe I shouldn't worry...
She used l-methionine to help make the urine more acidic since Spooky evidently is just an alkaline-urine kind of cat.  I just posted a link to the thread if that becomes the case with Koder.  Overall it sounds like things are going well judging by the pee balls he's leaving.  Keeping the bladder flushed helps prevent the crystals from forming in the first place.  If he was on dry before and had crystals, then yes, I'd say you're on the right track with moisture and eliminating some concern for crystal-forming.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She used l-methionine to help make the urine more acidic since Spooky evidently is just an alkaline-urine kind of cat.  I just posted a link to the thread if that becomes the case with Koder.  Overall it sounds like things are going well judging by the pee balls he's leaving.  Keeping the bladder flushed helps prevent the crystals from forming in the first place.  If he was on dry before and had crystals, then yes, I'd say you're on the right track with moisture and eliminating some concern for crystal-forming.
I agree! If you look at my Boo's "history", it would make someone think he's prone to crystals, as well. He blocked twice while on an all-dry Purina One diet (someone else made the decisions at the time). No more issues ever since his he became exclusively under my care and his diet was changed.

beeofthewoods

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dan,

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job, and he has transitioned well.  Maybe you are worrying prematurely.  Since you seem to keep a close eye on everyone, I've no doubt that you will be aware if your newest cat, Koder, has another episode or flare-up.  But, prevention is the best medicine!  Best to you and your cats!