Adopted Cat

mickilynn71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I adopted a 10 year old female cat in mid October who needed to be rehomed due to her being bullied by existing cats in the household. Her owner moved in with his fiancee and her cats terrorized his cat...thus the new home for his cat.

After about 2 weeks, she finally stopped hiding under the bed 99% of the time and started coming up to me and rubbing up against my foot and being cuddly. The next day, I went out of town for work and my husband came with me so he could visit family. We were gone for 4 days. Since we have come back, I have seen the cat twice. That was 2 months ago. She basically lives under the couch and only comes out to use the litter box and eat when we are not home. I'm trying not to force her out since I don't know that would help. I did try to coax her out with a laser pointer which didn't work! Any ideas?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let her come out at her own pace, forcing her wont help. As she was friendly before she should be again. Sit still and read out loud in a quite voice can help. Play with a toy( a ball of wool, feathers etc) and pique her interest but ignore her and let her come to you. When she is ready she will come out to play. Patience is need her but the results will be well worth it
Please keep us posted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As V verna davies said, patience, and more patience and more patience. It is unfortunate that you and your husband had to leave her right when she had come out of her shell with you a bit. She had to have felt as if she trusted you and was abandoned again, but with time, she will learn that you are NOT going to go away forever, or send her away, and she will come around. This second time of trusting you will take longer, but it will happen. And I can't stress how important sitting in the room with her and reading aloud can be. She will learn that your voice is safe, and that you, by extension, are safe again.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And I can't stress how important sitting in the room with her and reading aloud can be. She will learn that your voice is safe, and that you, by extension, are safe again.
I completely agree. :thumbsup: You may also want to try playing music softly while remaining quiet. If you'd like you can repeat her name several times keeping it to a whisper. It takes some cats longer than others to feel secure but with patience and understanding she will warm up to you. Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. BTW, what's her name?