Adopted cat won't stop hiding

darkestdream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a beautiful sweet kitty a week ago. She was so sweet and loving at the shelter, but as soon as we got home she hid. She hides all day long from the kids. She came out once on her own at night after the kids were in bed for a while.
When she's out she's incredibly loving with us, but we literally have to lift up my husband's recliner and coax her out. She's also very easily startled.
Her food, water, and litter box are also by the chair and she's been using them just fine.
Any suggestions? We love her so much and just want to spend time with her. My kids haven't seen her since the shelter.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They all have their own time table. My current cat acted like she owned the place immediately but the cat I had before her took two or three days to come out from hiding. I could feed her treats and pet her but she would not leave the closet shelf until she was ready. And she only had one person to get used to. Your cat is dealing with multiple smells, sounds etc. to adjust to. Give her space and patience and in time she will seek you all out. The shy ones take time but it is worth it. Earning that trust feels good.

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't coax her out. That will only extend the time it takes for her to get used to things. Also, it's a good idea to keep new cats confined to a room for a day or two, and then slowly open their world up to more rooms. A huge, new space is quite startling for a cat. 

Best thing to do here is wait. Make sure she is eating and using her box (another reason it's good for her to have a private room for a while--so she feels safe enough to emerge during the day and eat), and leave her be. She'll come out of her shell on her own. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week is not very long in cat time, we had an outgoing cat that we rehomed and he hid for over a month. She'll come around, it is just so much for her to get used to, and kids are scary with their sudden movements and loud noises. It will all just take time. All the luck!

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are your children? Are they old enough to understand not to touch the cat- let the cat go to them? If they are older, they could be the ones to put out her food and leave her treats. Food is usually they way to get friendly and gain trust with cats!

Good luck - keep us posted