Adopted Cat Still In Hiding After Almost 2 Months

bkap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a male 1-1.5 year old cat, domestic Bengal mix about 7 weeks ago now. The cat has been exceptionally sweet but is still extremely nervous. He mainly hides under the bed in the starter room where I have placed him only venturing out when I am not in the room, to eat/use litter etc. I wanted to make sure this is normal this far out.

He will come to the edge of the bed/up to me when lying down if I place a trail of treats, but after sniffing me heads back under the bed. He will also come out if I start playing with him under the bed (which he loves, rolling around and pawing everything) and wants me to play with him outside of the bed in the starter room and will explore for a bit, but only if I am sitting down (once I stand up or get too close to him he will run under bed again.) I currently can't pet or touch him without him tensing and running away unless I do it through his toy, which he doesn't mind (which has a short wand.) Recently, he has also shown initial willingness to leave the room, meowing at the door and then staring at me, so I opened the door, but after a few steps outside into the main living room/kitchen area, he got nervous and ran back under the bed.

I know he was born on the street and was originally hosted by someone who did not have many visitors, so could that play a part in his taking a while to warm up?

There are a few positive signs as of recently, in that when he walks out to play he now holds his tail up, he has gotten more adventurous approaching me and he found a shirt I wore and made a nest with it and rolls around in it constantly when he is outside of the bed. However, I am worried especially with the discomfort with touching and the long transition time. Is there anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable/help the process along? Is this normal?

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I moved my 4 cats walked around crying and terrified of the newness of EVERYTHING. I put their toys out with a bit of catnip and it took time but gradually they adapted. I also tried to remain on the floor when we interacted so I didn't seem so overwhelming to already STRESSED babies!
Time, patience, and lots of TLC

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a rescue that hid for 4 days and then after that if he would get spooked would run under the bed. Now after 8 months he pretty much owns the house. He still freaks out when someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell and runs under the bed. He was abused at some point. I'm leash training him and have had him outside a handful of times. I leave the basement door open in case he freaks out he can run back inside. He's made a lot of progress though! You just need to keep doing what your doing and be patient. He'll come out of his shell in time. I would leave the door open in the room your keeping him in at this point. He will probably come out at night and explore when the house is quiet. This is normal behavior with cats that have had a hard life.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Such extreme shyness and timidity is normal in cats who have been terrified or hurt in their past. The time your poor little guy spent on the street may contain episodes that don't bear thinking about.

Lack of socialization can also cause this effect. Your post reminds me of a situation one of our members once described. Her cat behaved very much as your does but in her case the cat was the product of a negligent backyard breeder who never handled or socialized her kittens. She started making progress when she found an interactive toy that her cat loved (in her case it was either the SmartyKat Hot Pursuit Cat Toy Concealed Motion Toy or one very much like it). She moved the toy farther and farther and farther away, accompanied by treats until it was in the living room.

51L-gVWMBbL._SX90_.jpg

I think you are actually doing extremely well with your boy. It does take time, but you are doing everything right. He is gradually coming out more and showing his growing trust in you. Rolling around on your shirt is a great sign. I know you are worried about how long this is taking, but there is nothing like the joy when a formerly feral or timid cat finally opens up and lets you in. It does take patience but it is absolutely worth it in the end.

These articles may give you some ideas of ways to help bring your kitty out from hiding and to help him develop the confidence and security that he needs.

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat

Max's Human Max's Human makes an excellent point about getting down on his level. Doing so will make you much less intimidating to your cat.

Is there any way you can talk with the person who rescued him and who was formerly hosting him? Any additional facts you can learn about his background could be very helpful. Do you know if he hid like this when he was living there?

Good luck with this. Please keep us updated on your progress. And if you can get a photo without scaring him, I know that I'm not the only one who would love to see it.

Ah, and a belated Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I just realized this is your first post. :hithere:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bkap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help. Glad to know he is on the right track. He is definitely getting better over time-- for the first time today I was able to play with him while standing up and walk around on the other side of the room without him running under the bed. Compare that to the first week when he immediately opened all my drawers and hid behind them refusing to come out for 2 days. Max's Human Max's Human good idea on the floor. I've been trying to do that, especially when I interact with him under the bed and it definitely helps (I've also been blinking and looking away which I know is supposed to put cats at ease and avoiding moving too quickly around him as he used to hiss when I came up to him too quickly.) sabian sabian good to know. I will definitely start leaving the door open. margd margd Thanks for the warm welcome! That toy seems great and will definitely get. He is extremely playful and will probably love it. The first time I got him out of the bed was by him wanting more space to roll around and chase a wand with a ribbon so moving the automated one around during the day is a great idea. Also glad to hear that the clothes are a good sign. I've been trying to keep him calm with calming music and feliway and it seems to be working okay.

On the history-- I don't know all the details. I got him through an adoption service and the lady hosting him was affiliated so I assume he was treated well (although apparently, she did not have many visitors over for the 6 months she had him) ... I know a family (with kids and dogs) had previously tried to adopt him but he was too scared with them and they gave up after a week. I think he was born and lived on the street until around a year old, but was hand-fed by a man who came by to take care of the family of cats. He lived with his siblings at the foster family house, but apparently, they were even less socialized than him and so could not be adopted (I think they also might have bullied him a bit.) I could ask for more details if you think it worthwhile.

I have two big concerns, however. First, I have a roomba and I kept it away from the room for the first month or so, not wanting to absolutely terrify him since he wouldn't come out normally. Now, when I run it in the room, it almost seems like torture to him he is so scared (when it goes under bed he makes for the closet and is hyperventilating even after it is over.) I don't know a way around it, though, as I have to desensitize him at some point to it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Second, my lease ends in June of next year and I will be moving to someplace more permanent (for at least a few years.) The last thing I want is to make all this progress and then have him start from square zero as soon as I move and spend another few months rebuilding trust. Any suggestions on how to prepare for this as best as I can? I've left his traveling case out in the room hearing that he might mark it and make him less worried about traveling, but beyond that is there anything else I can do to get him secure in me/in the new place he will eventually be moving to?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Your boy does sound like he is coming along. I too adopted a fearful unsocialized cat and have dealt with similar things to what you have experienced. As far as the rhoomba, I don’t think there is much you can do that will make him less fearful just leave all of his hiding spaces available to him when you use it. My girl thinks the vac is the devil and as soon as I start picking up her toys she knows what is coming and heads for the basement.

Moving houses with a cat can be tricky. If you will have a space you can shut the cat in at the new place I would put him there first with all of his things, a box or closet or similar for him to hide in and a huge sign on the door warning everyone not to open it. This should insulate him as much as possible from all the hubbub related to moving and giving him a head start on establishing his new safe space. Once everyone is gone you can open the door and let him choose to explore or not.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 0% expierence with situations like this but I just wanted to pop in and say I admire what you're doing, and to wish you and the kitty the best of luck!

Having said that, the only thing I could maybe suggest is to get a cat bed/hidey hole of some sort that he might move to instead of being under the bed. I would, depending on the cat, block off access to under the bed. It is much easier to try to interact with a cat that has chosen something else as their safe space. Again a cat bed or even a box with a hole cut in it would work.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bkap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! susanm9006 susanm9006 that's a great idea. I will definitely do that. Elfilou Elfilou I already have a cat bed that he does really like (it is on the bed and he sometimes jumps up and kneads it purring when I'm sitting on the floor.) However, he normally doesn't use it because it is exposed on the bed. Maybe I will try placing it in the corner of the floor instead... Regarding blocking the bed, I had to do something similar after a week where he refused to come behind the drawers and had to remove them as he wasn't eating or anything (and he was constantly sliding them throughout the night to peek out then close them again). He then moved under the bed where I could interact more easily. I've added them back and he now doesn't hide behind them. I'll give it a few more weeks but maybe if he doesn't leave the bed I should prepare a new space and then block it off as you suggested.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Manny thinks the vacuum is the devil too. He doesn't like brooms either. I just pick up a broom and he takes off. The Maine Coon I had before Manny I raised from a kitten. He was scared of a vacuum too. He didn't have any reason to be, he just was. Funny thing, if I was outside mowing he would just sit there. I would have to make him move out of the way so go figure!? No fear of lawn mower but scared of vacuum!? I give Manny time to go to another room before I start to vacuum. As long as he doesn't feel trap in a corner I don't worry to much about it. He has to get use to noises.

The move is a year away. You should make a lot of progress in that time. I'm sure he will freak out a little but he'll be use to you and he'll have things around him that he's familiar with so it shouldn't be nearly as bad as what your going through now. I would do what susanm9006 susanm9006 suggested and let him move at his own pace again.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That toy seems great and will definitely get. He is extremely playful and will probably love it.
I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to buy a lazy susan (turntable) like this one. By taping the toy on top of it, it prevents kitties from holding the feather to the floor and preventing the toy from working. I learned this tip from the helpful reviewers at amazon and it really works.

I could ask for more details if you think it worthwhile.
The one thing I thought was definitely worth knowing was how your little darling behaved at his foster home. It sounds like he was scared there, too, so this is not something new that has developed.

Second, my lease ends in June of next year and I will be moving to someplace more permanent (for at least a few years.) The last thing I want is to make all this progress and then have him start from square zero as soon as I move and spend another few months rebuilding trust. Any suggestions on how to prepare for this as best as I can?
susanm9006 susanm9006 made a good suggestion about keeping him in a room of his own with his things and a sign on the door when you get to the new place. This article will give you some more things to consider: How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way The section about putting identifying collars etc on him in case he gets away is especially important in a cat who grew up on the street and may flee if presented with the opportunity.

Having said that, the only thing I could maybe suggest is to get a cat bed/hidey hole of some sort that he might move to instead of being under the bed. I would, depending on the cat, block off access to under the bed. It is much easier to try to interact with a cat that has chosen something else as their safe space. Again a cat bed or even a box with a hole cut in it would work.
This is really a really good idea. We have some members who actually take the mattress off the bed and lean it against the wall to prevent a frightened kitty from taking refuge under the bed. The only thing I would add to Elfilou's advice is to turn the box upside down so that it can serve as a fort where he'll feel more secure. This kitty really does need a place where he feels no one can see him.

Best of luck!:goodluck: