Adopted Cat Is Still Urinating And Hiding After 2 Months

User1189

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i adopted a 2 year old cat two months ago. She’s hiding under the bed most of the time, which is also where she pees. What can I do to stop this? The shelter wants to take her back because she’s “not settling well”. How can I make her settled? I have another cat who is missing, but she doesn’t have anything to do with the newer cat as I adopted the newer cat after the older one went missing. Help??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, there are some things that you can do. I'm going to give you links to several articles that each have good ideas. I'm also including one about dealing with traumatized cats, since we don't know her background from before the shelter!

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
One thing that you can do that will help more than you know is to sit on the floor in the room where she is and read aloud in a soft, gentle voice. Totally ignore her while you do this, and let her make the first moves. It will take some time, but patience is always the key thing here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

User1189

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, but the shelter insisted on taking her back.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. I know you did your very best. Perhaps you will be able to find a better match for you. Don't give up on cats!