Adopted a new cat, not sure about her behaviors.

kipster91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks ago today, I brought home my first cat of my very own. I grew up on a farm and had plenty of cats before, from indoor to outdoor cats, of all ages.

I got Stevie (after Stevie Nicks) at the local ASPCA. The shelter said she was around 2, never bit, and was a sweet loving kitty. She was spayed the same day I brought her home. She was recovering from a cold at the shelter, so I took her to my vet that Thursday to make sure everything was Ok and to establish my relationship with the vet.

The vet said she may have herpes virus, which is why her third eyelid is prominent, and that it may never be totally normal. My vet also said there is no way she is 2 years old. She had never had a litter, and although she had her adult teeth, there was no way she was over 8 months.

She really struggled with the internet, my computer, the monitor. We've been working on that with reinforcement; I just don't let her on my desk so I can get anything done (I'm a grad student.)

What we're really struggling with is biting/ambushing. She LOVES to attack you from under the table while you walk by, sneak up behind you and attack your legs. I understand this is normal cat hunting behavior, but it isn't appropriate for her to do it to me, my room mate, and it makes me nervous for guests to come over. She never uses her claws, so it is really playful, but I don't want to risk the day that it becomes malicious.

She also bites. She doesn't love to be petted all the time, but really likes to hang out with me. She's never broken the skin, but we struggle with biting every day. She knows she isn't supposed to, but just tests the waters; a lot.

She has plenty of toys. I have an automatic cat feeder that feeds her twice a day (7:30 am and 7:30 PM) and I usually give her a little wet food snack when I get home from school. She has unlimited water, and a zillion toys. She really loves her amazon box. She has never used anything but her litter box (knock on wood), she has a cat climber on my door, and can look out the window all day.

Will she grow out of this? Is she just being a kitten and figuring out her limits at her new home? I know she's a good cat, and I know she may just have her petting limits, but I want to make sure I can control this behavior as much as humanly possible, just so she doesn't turn out a mean cat. Most of the time it is clear she is being playful, except for the biting, and that is usually when she doesn't want to be petted. She seems to be in a better mood after she eats, but I don't want her to get super fat and I don't want to leave food out all day. I get this guilty feeling like I should have adopted the 6 y/o lazy male cat and that may have been a better fit, but I really love her a lot.

Do you have any advice for me?

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

She has plenty of toys. 
But how often do you actually play with her? Young cats have tons of energy and need to expend it somehow (which may tend to be by hunting you if you don't direct it somewhere more appropriate). Give her some really good play sessions at least once a day, if not more. Use a wand or fishing rod style toy, or toss a ball around until she's panting. 

Or, get her a playmate! (if that's an option)

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention: could the biting actually be "love bites"? What sort of mood is she in when she does it?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kipster91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try to play with her at least 15-20 minutes a day, with a lazer pointer or a wand toy, and bat around stuff with her. I'll be petting her when she bites usually. Sometimes it seems like it could be love bites, but sometimes she just bites. It is usually in my bed, and I take it as she doesn't wan to be touched any more. We're still figuring each other out, but I don't want her to hate me or anything! I know she'll calm down with age, too.

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old cat Stetson used to do the hide and ambush thing. He did it his whole life, never clawed, and it never turned mean.

One of my mum's current cats has the herpes virus and he is otherwise totally healthy and happy. He is an amazing cat, was rescued from a farm and had a whackload of issues when we got him. He has the odd flare up and is more susceptible to colds and stuff but is a really great cat overall :)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I suggested trying to get 2 additional play sessions in with her a day. Being an 8 mo old kitten and an only cat, she is likely to have some pent up energy. Even if you can get two additional 10 minute play sessions in I think you will see some improvement with the ambushing and biting.

Maybe, 1 play session before breakfast, 1 before dinner and 1 before bed. The general idea for cats is "hunt/play, eat, groom, sleep."

At 2 1/2 my youngest require several interactive play sessions a day, otherwise they get bored. It does help that they have other kitties in the house to play with and get energy out; but, it I don't have playtime daily with them, they start "bickering" with each other and get into all kinds of mischief (from tearing things up to getting in the garbage.)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She really struggled with the internet, my computer, the monitor. We've been working on that with reinforcement; I just don't let her on my desk so I can get anything done (I'm a grad student.)

What we're really struggling with is biting/ambushing. She LOVES to attack you from under the table while you walk by, sneak up behind you and attack your legs. I understand this is normal cat hunting behavior, but it isn't appropriate for her to do it to me, my room mate, and it makes me nervous for guests to come over. She never uses her claws, so it is really playful, but I don't want to risk the day that it becomes malicious.

She also bites. She doesn't love to be petted all the time, but really likes to hang out with me. She's never broken the skin, but we struggle with biting every day. She knows she isn't supposed to, but just tests the waters; a lot.

She has plenty of toys. I have an automatic cat feeder that feeds her twice a day (7:30 am and 7:30 PM) and I usually give her a little wet food snack when I get home from school. She has unlimited water, and a zillion toys. She really loves her amazon box. She has never used anything but her litter box (knock on wood), she has a cat climber on my door, and can look out the window all day.

Do you have any advice for me?
The good news? All perfectly normal behavior.

The bad news? You have to accept that she may be like this always, and work around it.

Ambushing - typical playful behavior. My cat does this. We call it ankle-mugging. He'll pounce on my feet and then run away and hide. I don't mind it, so I chase him around the room and let him chase me. You say she never uses her claws, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you really don't like it, you can give her a sharp "no", and freeze in place. Don't do anything, don't even move - she may take that as a sign that you're playing with her. Do this regularly.

Biting while petting - again, totally normal. Some cats just have a really low sensitivity tolerance. My cat is like that too. He likes to be near me, but doesn't want to be stroked or petted or cuddled. He nips and bites if I do it for more than a minute. I have learnt to gauge his tolerance levels (look for body language), so I stop before he bites.

Same thing. Sharp "no", and then freeze in place when she bites. It has to be a distinct, low-pitched "no" or "ouch" that you reserve for moments like this. Loud enough to startle her, but don't yell.

Love bites are the kind where it's more of putting her teeth on your hand, rather than actual biting.

Playing with her is good, but if you can, schedule more play sessions. She needs a lot of playtime at this age. If it is feasible, consider getting another youngster for her to chase around and wrestle with.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kipster91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the re-assurance. I know it is normal deep down, I just needed some one else to tell me. :] 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely ALL my cats have been like this as kittens. It's the reason why my last 3 adopted cats were adopted as adults ;-) I got Hex when she was 2 and she was always a spitfire until she turned 4. Then it was like a totally different cat. Loving, friendly and patient. I got the two boys when they were 5 and they had already far passed the kitten stage and have been perfect gentlemen. With all the "naughty" kittens I had, I just made sure not to let them get away with any undesirable behavior the best I could. It's AMAMZING how incredibly well the word "NO!" works for cats. They are very sensitive creatures! Also, as long as you don't instigate her into these attacks and let her know you won't tolerate it, she WON'T become a problem child. She will calm down in a couple years and you will look back and sort of miss her silly antics. I promise you.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You have some great advice here and to me it sounds like you have a real cute, fun kitten with lots of play energy to be run off and a desire to do this with you! This is a cat compliment, you have been selected the number 1 play mate.  Stevie is wanting to bond and build her relationship with you and this is how she does it.  And yes, just like every other cat and human she will test the boundaries, and being a cat she needs to learn how to communicate with you and you with her.  Play is how she does it, just like children do and if you are consistent in your calm responses with her when she gets too excited you should make speedy progress.

Another positive here is if Stevie is a herpes cat she is well and has lots of energy, and as she has just moved in with you this is fantastic:  it suggests she hasn't found her move stressful as this will often result in the virus getting the better of the cat for a while and showing some signs of the virus and being a bit run down. 

One variation I use on the 'no' theme is to keep a different word for when the biting happens.  Because cats have a tendency to ignore when it suits, and you want Stevie to know that if she bites and it's sore she has to stop immediately, I think it works best to use another word - try something that comes naturally to you if you get hurt, for me it's 'ouch' . Remember it should be one you can use no matter who is in your company!  Also one syllable, easily differentiated from the normal warning word. Mouse was a persistent biter when he was younger, with jaws like a python!  He learned ouch very quickly and while he'll still look me in the eye and tilt his head to the side like 'ha ha you think I'm gonna listen to you' when it suits him,  he never does that when I say 'ouch'.  He does not want to hurt me and he knows that is what 'ouch' means. 

Shortly before you are going to sit down to work / study, if you schedule active play sessions with her for a good 20 or 30 minutes and have her running about and getting to the point of being breathless and taking little rests, then give her a little treat of some sort, you have a much better chance of her being quieter when you try to sit at your computer or read.  Also, a nice warm, comfy spot near you or looking down at you might help. If you work out how long she will settle like this you can schedule in a mid - study play session as well to stave off the arm / leg chewing.    Sadly cats sitting on keyboards and in front of screens is a well known fact of life, and I swear my Mouse thinks I am tapping the keyboard to play with him..... he appears from nowhere as soon as I start typing! 
  Oh, or moving paper, he has to chew the corners of all paper.  

If she still loves the hunt and chase you could try turning it in to hide and seek with a toy she can focus on when she gets to you: either a small mouse type toy you can throw and she chases after then you chase after her, or a bigger kong type toy you can hold while she bites and wraps herself round that rather than your flesh!  Mouse regularly has me running from one end of my apartment hiding behind doors and corners so he can peek round, look up at me then bolt off to hide himself at which point I have to follow and find him.  He'll jump up at me as I put my head round the door and then we'll be off again, or I'll throw a toy so I can sit out for a run then I have to go hide again.  It keeps the hunt and chase but fends off that killer wrap and fang stage.  Think of it as a bit of exercise to stimulate all those brain cells every hour or so, it's supposed to increase learning! 

She will probably morph in to a quiet cat that snoozes for 2/3 of the day before you know it and then you'll be worrying she's bored, or stroking and tickling her ears because you're bored and want to play with her.  It happens all too quickly, enjoy the frantic play time while it lasts.

Good luck!