Adopted A Kitty With One Eye. Should I Make Any Special Accommodations For Him?

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last year we had to put our kitty Ringo to sleep due to FIP. I am still not over it. But since Ringo has passed, I have decided as a way to honor him I would pick the kitty that needs us the most. First, I rescued our kitty, Paul. He was an old old fella and had a thyroid condition but we took him and loved him until he passed away a few months ago. I wasn't really looking or ready but it happened. I found my perfect kitty. His name is Rooster. He is a two year old orange cat and I think he was just born with a bad eye. It was removed in August and he has been with his foster mom ever since. His foster mom has said that no one has really shown an interest in adopting him which blows my mind. He is beautiful and when I saw him I knew he was mine. My question is should I make any special accommodations for him while he is getting used to his new home? He probably doesn't even realize that he can only see out of one eye and I am the one making it an issue.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I know you've been through this a time or two already, but sometimes it helps to read about things again, especially since you have a kitty with one eye. I think susanm9006 is right - this isn't a new situation for your furbaby such as an injury that had just recently occurred, so the adjustment to your new home will be relatively "normal".

I don't know if it's mentioned in the articles (there are also embedded links to other articles) but I've read that taking a worn tshirt and a blanket over to the foster home, and something from there to your home can help with scent swapping.

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There shouldn't be any real accomodations needed for a cat with one eye. The only thing that may be an issue down the road is depth perception will be slightly off. Which just means, once he has adapted to your home try to keep furntiure in relatively the same spot. Deciding to slightly adjust furniture around could result in a few falls if he misjudges the new distance.

But really, that can be an issue for cats with two eyes too because they tend to expect things to be in the same spot. Rocket once jumped headfirst into my bed when I pushed it closer to the wall because she was running g away from Link and didn't even notice the bed had moved. She just expected it to be where it had always been. It was a rather funny sight and, to pile on the indignity, Link caught her before she recovered from the impact.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is kind of you to adopt the cats that need someone the most. I'm sure Ringo would be honoured to know you are doing this in his memory. :redheartpump:

Condolences on the loss Paul. Sorry he didn't get to spend more time with you, but at least he was loved during his final months. RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

Rooster is one super handsome boy. I'm glad you found, and adopted him. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can say officially that there is nothing wrong with Rooster and his one eye. He acts just like my other kitties. He jumped on the counter and stole a bag of treats when I wasn't looking. just like my two eyed cats do! I introduced him to my 3 other cats yesterday and I have never had an introduction go so well. Barely a hiss. I still have him separated for now while I work. I don't trust them together just yet.