Adopted a 5 week old kitten

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to buy clippers to do clip her nails myself, but to be quite honest I'm afraid I might do it wrong and end up hurting her.
I should probably just suck it up and try it though. The vet did show me how, so I don't have an excuse anymore.

I read somewhere on this site that a woman slowly weaned her cat off wet food on to raw by gradually decreasing the cooking time of the meat. She fed her cat half-raw meat before going on completely raw food. I have thought about trying that, feeding Rasberry half-cooked meat. It's still not something I'm completely comfortable with, but it'll be better for her. At least better than kibble everyday, right? Should I try that?
Oh my gosh she is so cute! Her huge eyes are cracking me up- looks like a little girl with a big personality!!!!! 

Clipping her nails is actually really easy. If you are nervous about her holding still have your fiancee hold her while you cut. Then, treat her after. I have one who will let me cut his without being held because he's food motivated and just wants the treat, but my other tries to claw my face off when she sees the clippers. So, having someone hold her is the only way to get it done. As Smitten4kittens mentioned, you don't need to cut much, just get the sharp tip off. Where the nail is white is safe to cut, where it's pink (the quick) is not. If you do accidentally clip the quick just apply pressure to stop the bleeding. I have done it once or twice and there was no permanent damage- it just bleeds a lot. 

I would recommend looking into the nutrition section of the forums to learn more about raw feeding (although it seems you have done a lot of research already). If you do give her a lot of cooked meat you can add a nutritional supplement from the pet store (that has taurine in it) to make sure she's getting all her nutrients. But, if you are doing a combination of dry,wet, and cooked/raw she's likely getting everything she needs. You are right that an all raw diet (done properly) is the best. Next to that is an all wet diet. Keep playing around until you find what works best for both of you. 

I'm so glad to hear Raspberry is doing well and is becoming such a well adjusted girl! 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lawd! She is too cute :-) I like the pic where she hiding in the covers. "Shh! I are on a cobert operashun!" LOL!

It's best you get her used to having her claws clippednow when she's little. I'd do it twice a week and just cut off the very tip to get her used to it. Like someone else said be sure to treat her after and give her lots of praise.

Watch a couple of videos on YouTube to familiarize yourself with it.

Good luck!