Adopted 6-week Old Kitten, Worried About Bathroom+food

zbee

Siamese Kitten: Chai
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just got a 6-week old Siamese boy named Chai, and today was the first day he came home with me, and has been here for a couple hours. I also have not owned a cat in a very long time; however my girlfriend will be helping me care for the cat, but just won't always be around, and hasn't cared for a kitten in years either.

I've got a litter box and food+water dishes set up, and it's all quite low. I'm just a little worried about him being alright with the setup. I've read on here that he should probably still be weaning off of his mama, but the previous owner said he was already doing fine on dry food - so that's what we have set out for him, yet he hasn't touched or sniffed it yet.
The owner also said that he was potty trained, but he hasn't used or sniffed that yet either.

I just wanted to know if I should still be focusing on weaning him off of milk, with some substitute (KMR?), or if dry food is fine? Is there anything I should be doing to show him where the dishes / litter box is located? Or really, just any tips in general would be welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really should still be with mom, so it wouldn't surprise me if he needs some kmr. Do you have a small area for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zbee

Kitten
Purraise
He really should still be with mom, so it wouldn't surprise me if he needs some kmr. Do you have a small area for him?
Unfortunately, all of the kittens had to go per their lease.
I'll pick some up.
He's in the bedroom for now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, and please give him several meals per day of soft, pate-style wet food. Fancy Feast Classics are good.

He needs the wet food in addition to his dry kitten chow.

A dish of KMR a day is good for him for several more weeks. Get the powdered PetAg in the can, not the pre-mixed.

He'll need toys to play with too.

Right now he's frightened being away from his mom and littermates. Comfort him as much as you can.

You can put him in the litter box and encourage him to use it. He will also eat when he relaxes more.

He's very handsome!

What are the coins for?

zbee

Kitten
Purraise
Yes, and please give him several meals per day of soft, pate-style wet food. Fancy Feast Classics are good.

He needs the wet food in addition to his dry kitten chow.

A dish of KMR a day is good for him for several more weeks. Get the powdered PetAg in the can, not the pre-mixed.

He'll need toys to play with too.

Right now he's frightened being away from his mom and littermates. Comfort him as much as you can.

You can put him in the litter box and encourage him to use it. He will also eat when he relaxes more.

He's very handsome!

What are the coins for?
Excellent, thank you very much! He's got a few toys, and seems to be getting quite relaxed, he's napping on us and on the bed already.

The coin is just so that ya'll would be able to catch if the litter box/dishes are too tall.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's what I figured about the coin. Everything looks good! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use the bedroom as his safe room. He doesnt need to go out into the whole flat as yet, let it be a bit at a time.

Its quite common they dont use litter or eat the first hours - sometimes even a couple of days. Change of milieu, being unsure, lacking momma and siblings.
This latter can YOU help him with. Being so mammy you can manage.

You can give him a stuffed animal as personal friend. Fleece feels nice for them too.

zbee

Kitten
Purraise
Use the bedroom as his safe room. He doesnt need to go out into the whole flat as yet, let it be a bit at a time.

Its quite common they dont use litter or eat the first hours - sometimes even a couple of days. Change of milieu, being unsure, lacking momma and siblings.
This latter can YOU help him with. Being so mammy you can manage.

You can give him a stuffed animal as personal friend. Fleece feels nice for them too.
Will do, makes sense.

I got home after two hours out, and he was asleep at the foot of the bed. When I turned the light on, he got up, got some water, got some food, used the litter box, accidentally played with some toys, and went back to bed. I guess he just needed to get comfortable like you said.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do surprise you sometimes even this Young . We had ours at 6/7 weeks as she was fab with the litter from day one . funny to watch a tiny thing jump into a litter box . Well done - your set up looks great !